Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

2 Part Irrelevant Thread: Metaphysics and Sleep

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited January 2011 in Philosophy
Pt. 1)

My ideas, in regards to metaphysics, have been blown out of the water by my physics teacher. The whole "universe is infinite" thing is a no-go. Apparently there will be no "Big-Crush" in the future (opposite of the Big Bang), so there cannot be an infinite cycle of birth and rebirth of our universe. SO BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARDS.

But wait, I've come to the conclusion that... It doesn't matter. We will never figure it out, so why bother? The Truth of our origin shall forever elude me, if one even exists. :(

Pt. 2)

I don't know how many of you read it and still recall it, but I have been having sleeping issues.

I was paranoid about having sleep paralysis. So, a couple of days later I actually had it. It was scary shit. So, the next night I was paranoid about going to sleep. So, I had a night terror. I woke up screaming in terror and ran to my parents room all disoriented saying, "I'M STILL DREAMING. I DON'T KNOW IF I'M AWAKE. WHY AM I HERE? WHAT? HUH?" My knees got all skinned up because I crawled across the floor. And I DON'T REMEMBER ANY OF IT. To me, its as if it didn't happen. I just remember standing in my parents room.

So, after a few nights of little sleep, I tried to get back to my normal schedule. BUT, I had another session of sleep paralysis. But this time... I meditated out of it. I just laid there (I was technically unable to move) and I calmed my mind and counted my breathes until I could move again. :D

I've been sleeping okay recently, though. Sleep paralysis doesn't scare me anymore.

Comments on any of these things?

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Congrats on beating the sleep paralysis.

Frankly, I don't think the physicists really know for sure what the Universe is doing. They know what the latest theory is, that's all. The latest theory will eventually be superceded by another theory. A certain amount of science is faith, in a way, because theories change, new discoveries are made all the time, so why buy into the "latest"? Why not take a wait-and-see approach, and in the meantime, follow the Buddhist teachings, if that works for you? Remember when they believed the world was flat, and the sun revolved around the Earth? Now it's String Theory and multiple universes, or infinite alternative dimensions. What next?

(But you have to learn what the teacher is saying and regurgitate it on the tests in order to get your grade. That doesn't mean you have to buy into everything.)
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Well, actually hes just my home room teacher. I don't have him for any classes. I just like to stay after class and talk to him for a little bit. Me and Sara once went to a pub to go watch him sing and play guitar.
  • Cool teacher! Lucky you to have this relationship with him.
  • How's your sleep doing now, MindGate? Better?