Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is the best gift for our children?

CSEeCSEe Veteran
edited January 2011 in Buddhism Basics
What is the best gift for our children ? Money ? Education ? Wisdom? House ? property ?
In our world I can confidently say that more than 90% of our world population say more then 7 billion people around the world fear death , cry during funeral ...... all of us suffer from fear of old age , sickness and death .
The fact is in Buddha we should find the solution . In Buddha " suffering" does not axist , we " suffer" because we are too greedy .... greedy to stay healthy , greedy to stay young , greedy to live forever and fail to understand Buddha .
If we could know the actual happening on afterlife and in higher awareness of Buddha we could confidently explained to our children on death , afterlife & Buddha .If they could accept the fact that old age , sickness and death is not suffering and know their Buddha I belief that will the best gift .
Picture this ...........If one day I die my daughter could accept it , if she sick or dying she too could accept it without feeing fear or sad ... that will be the best possible gift . As for me I am still not reach to that awareness to accept if my daughter dies before me as now I am still exploring my Buddha .

Comments

• edited January 2011
    The best gift to our children is to be kind and patient with them, to listen to what they have to say to us and not to expect them to fit into our perception of how they should be.

• CSEeCSEe Veteran
    Yes I could agree that because in Buddha love is un-conditional just like helping a baby birds back into her nest but we dont keep them as pets .
    Thks for sharing
  • What is the best gift for our children ? Money ? Education ? Wisdom? House ? property ?
    If I have to choose one from your list it would be "education". This will be both academic education as well as life skills. Otherwise, like Dazzle, it would be loving-kindness.
    ....... If they could accept the fact that old age, sickness and death is not suffering and know their Buddha I belief that will the best gift.
    My children are not Buddhists, they dislike listening to dharma especially the part of suffering (dukkka) and its causes, they strongly believe in God and His grace/mercy. I can't see them changing, at least not in this lifetime. Neither do I want to change them. ;)
  • CSEeCSEe Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Hi sukhita , i wanted to belief that in Buddha suffering does not axist so why still we have so-call the expert ' Master of Buddhism teaching still use this word associated with Buddha ? I wanted to belief that is Siddharta last wish that human continue to explore this energy and I quote " All composite thing pass away , strive for your own liberation with diligence " If Siddharta himself think that birth , old age , sickness and death is suffering I think he should be blamed for causing misery for billoins of peoples for thousands of years .....and he also to be blame for creating this material world . But I wanted to belief his teaching was and still wrongly quoted by the so call expert ......
  • .... I wanted to belief that is Siddharta last wish that human continue to explore this energy and I quote " All composite thing pass away , strive for your own liberation with diligence " If Siddharta himself think that birth , old age , sickness and death is suffering I think he should be blamed for causing misery for billoins of peoples for thousands of years .....
    In reality, people the world over "suffer" birth, old age, sickness and death. We know this to be FACT. The Buddha (Siddharta) attributed this to craving, clinging, attachment, delusion, etc. He taught us that we can free ourselves from this "suffering" by following the Noble Eightfold Path. So, the Buddha did NOT think that birth, old age, sickness and death is "suffering". He realized just the opposite. He realized that these things are "suffering" ONLY if we continue to grasp at or cling to these "composite" things. He taught us how to let go and thereby liberate ourselves from this unnecessary suffering.

This is just my humble views, I could be making some mistakes... :)

I', off to run some errands now, will be back later in the day...
  • CSEeCSEe Veteran
    edited January 2011
    No pls be free to discuss that is my sincere aim .... that is the reason I am here to discuss and learned from each other . As I mention before in Buddha teaching does not axist .
    Sorry in advance if my remarks hurt anyone feeling here . I wanted to belief Siddharta was wrongly quoted . I wanted to belief yes he did regard these old age , sickness and death is suffering BEFORE he found Buddha.... He was a totally different person after he found Buddha energy .
    After he enlighten , I wanted to belief he did not regard that as suffering .... ALL SUFFERING ENDS WHEN SIDDHARTA FOUND BUDDHA.... he had present to the world the sollution but he was wrongly quoted .
    I wanted to belief he was also wrongly quote when he said in his final word I quote " let my teaching be your Master"...NOT LET MY WAY OF LIFE BE YOUR IDOL..... so why we hv to follow his local human culture , he was a monk even before he enlighten.....
  • edited January 2011
    @CSEe
    Don't worry, your remarks has not hurt my feelings and I certainly don't think it hurt the feeling of others. Like you said, we are here to discuss the Buddha. We are just exchanging ideas and trying to learn from each other; it's not some sort of a contest. We are friends in the Buddha, I would like to think. :):):)

Some people do wrongly quote things like Siddharta said "life is suffering". I agree with you that this is wrong. Siddharta did not say this. You only suffer if you cling to the ego self, cling to your body, cling to wealth, cling to sex, cling to a whole lot of material things, cling to a whole lot of wrong views; and you want to keep all these things for yourself, you are afraid of losing it, you are selfish, you do not want to let go of this craving, clinging, and attachment. Suffering ends when you find the "Buddha", that is, awaken to see things as they are, free from delusion. I hope I'm understanding you now... :)
  • CSEeCSEe Veteran
    Yes , I want to belief ALL SUFFERING SHOULD ENDS WHEN SIDDHARTA FOUND BUDDHA .
    Thks for sharing
    Ee
  • edited January 2011
    Best Gift IM_H_O? Parents should review their own young lives VERY carefully to uncover the major mistakes they made and imagine the type of interventions they should have gotten from their parents.

Suggested another way, knowing what I know today about what I was going thru I would have been the absolute best parent for myself when I was growing up.

Apply that to your kids. Great gift idea! Hard to acquire but worth it.
  • CSEeCSEe Veteran
    Hi Roger thks for sharing is a very good method of guiding our children.....
  • The birth of a child, is, at the same time, the birth of a mother
    into the world.

Child is the symbol of a mother. That love for the child, that
    tenderness of the heart which characterises a mother, is so sig-
    nificant that it is often associated with the change of red-blood
    into milk.

"Metta" - usually rendered by that cross-bred term loving kind-
    ness, is the universal love for which the mother's love for her child
    is the unit. The Buddha speaking about metta says for instance,
    "Just as a mother would protect her only child even at the risk of
    her own life, so should one develop a boundless heart towards
    all beings".

A mother is not only born with the child she brings forth, she
    also grows up with the child she brings up. Her growth is in terms of
    the other three Divine Abidings or Brahma Vihara- compassion,
    sympathetic joy and equanimity. In bringing up her child, some-
    times a mother has to be stern and tactful. Her soft tender love
    matures into a compassionate sternness, when the child is pass-
    ing through the unruly boyhood and reckless adolescence. But
    that hardness of her heart melts at the correct moment, like
    butter.

The child has now reached manhood. He can stand on his
    own feet with enviable self-confidence. The mother also grows
    up with sympathetic joy enjoying the fruits of her labours. Her com-
    placence, like curd, is serene and has nothing meddlesome about it.
    The bringing forth and the bringing-up is over. The time comes
    now to let go - of the attachments and involvements regarding
    the child. But for that separation too, the mother, now mature
    in her experience, is fully prepared with equanimity. Like a pot
    of ghee, she is not easily upset.

Universal love, compassion, sympathetic-joy and equanimity are
    the four Divine Abidings a mother practises in a limited sense in
    the course of her motherly care for the child. Charity begins at
    home. These four are homely virtues in the first instance, to be
    remembered like milk, butter, curd and ghee. The four Divine
    Abidings are to be developed, however, in a boundless measure
    until one's heart is fully released in them. A mother bears testi-
    mony to the practicability and the reciprocal value of these
    Divine Abidings which hold the prospects of spiritual growth,
    peace and harmony for the society at large.
  • CSEeCSEe Veteran
    Hi Pegembara , thks for sharing.