Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Understanding compassion

edited January 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I have been reading a lot lately the teachings of the Dalai Lama, it is a very new area for me but one which has really struck a chord.
I am having issues with the central theme of compassion. I understand that showing compassion to others encourages a happier inner core etc.
Problem I have is, does compassion need to be bottomless? in that, there are times that I get frustrated, see red mist etc when driving, in stores shopping. I am teaching myself to show compassion to others when events occur but I see it is a weakness, not a strength. I end up coming across as a walkover, weakling and I am not sure if i am understanding compassion then way i should.
Like i said, I am really new to this so can anyone help me understand compassion better, or tell me what it is I am getting wrong.

Comments

• compassion is the wish to end suffering

compassion is non-harming

non-harming includes not harming oneself

i hope that helps somewhat

:)
  • compassion is the wish to end suffering

compassion is non-harming

non-harming includes not harming oneself

i hope that helps somewhat

I have the same issue as t4nk, it helps somewhat, but a question still remains. Sometimes non-harming oneself stands directly opposed to non-harming another. And sometimes non-harming another stands directly opposed to non-harming yet another human being. How does one deal with those situations then?
    Buddha teachings show that all is part of the same thing, so harming another is the same as harming yourself and harming yet another. But in this case it doesn't seem so. Sometimes there doesn't seem to be any way out except harming one party (oneself, another or yet another). And when you choose to harm oneself you get that feeling that t4nk described, that you're a bit of a walkover.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2011
    There may be some extreme examples (unless we can post some more tangible examples).

For example, we see a child fall into a dangerous river and must decide whether to dive in to try to save the child.

Recently, in Australia, a cocaine/speed girl was being assaulted by her bikie boyfriend/drug supply outside a nightclub in the morning. An early morning jogger (husband & father of two) tried to help her and was shot dead in cold blood by the bikie.

Like sometimes, in families or especially in the work place, we must stand up for ourselves. This may cause a little friction at first but in the end it benefits all if we learn how to communicate & negotiate clearly.

• CSEeCSEe Veteran
    Hib t4ink , lets share my view . In Buddha there are no right or wrong is all depend on your own awareness . Karma is regret of bad action of not knowing Buddha So say I hv USD 1 million cash , I will think it properly how much I will spend on myself and how much to donate ... I must understand and be aware that if I donate too little say USD 10 dollar maybe one day i will regret it and thats my karma or if I donated too much say USD 500 thousand i maybe will regret it one day .... is all depend on my awareness at that point of time but in Buddha I must be awake..... I must push myself to aware of my action so that I will not regret it in the future ...
    In Buddha I wanted to belief that in order to know our own Buddha , we must bring out all our sincere love to all ( living and non-living ) , love iin Buddha is UN-CONDITIONAL just like helping a baby birds into her nest but we dont keep them as pets ...
    Sincerely showing , sharing , giving and accepting love is first step to fell Buddha ... we have to "keep our soul account closed" each second of our life by giving our atmost afford , love to all and when we die or someone we care dies we will hv no regret ......no karma , this process of purification will continue untill we hv no bad action or karma in us ... and our soul will be empty but fill with pure / unpolluted energy of love... thats is Buddha .

Thks
    Ee
  • I have been reading a lot lately the teachings of the Dalai Lama, it is a very new area for me but one which has really struck a chord.
    I am having issues with the central theme of compassion. I understand that showing compassion to others encourages a happier inner core etc.
    Problem I have is, does compassion need to be bottomless? in that, there are times that I get frustrated, see red mist etc when driving, in stores shopping. I am teaching myself to show compassion to others when events occur but I see it is a weakness, not a strength. I end up coming across as a walkover, weakling and I am not sure if i am understanding compassion then way i should.
    Like i said, I am really new to this so can anyone help me understand compassion better, or tell me what it is I am getting wrong.

Patience,compassion and loving kindness are important for the wellbeing of self and others and we can do various practices to strengthen them, such as metta meditation and contemplating the Brahma Viharas (see link below)

http://www.buddhanet.net/metta.htm

However, compassion doesn't necessarily mean enabling the ill will of others, so we need some discriminating wisdom too.

• CSEeCSEe Veteran
    edited January 2011
    as I mentioned many time before I Buddha I wanted to belief In Buddha there are no right or wrong is all depend on our own awareeness . Say if a robber enter my house , rob me and kill my wife , in life I will defend my family and kill them with my own hand but In Buddha I have to pity them and showing love to them because they does not understand their Buddha and surely one day they will regret their action . just like we cant blame a 3 years old for smashing our TV, right?
    I not yet reach that stage or close to that pure energy of Buddha but I will try .
  • So compassion should only be exercised at the discretion of common sense. e.g. if someone attacks you or your family, you defend as much as you need to to protect. For me, I try to show compassion for loved ones first, if this conflicts with showing compassion for the stranger, then so be it.

Issues like this is what holds me back, coming from a muslim background, there are strict rules that conflict with a western lifestyle thus resulting in alienation. Whereas bhuddism allows for flexibility and has room for common sense.
  • CSEeCSEe Veteran
    In Buddha I wanted to belief relationship does not axist , the love you show to yr family must be equal to the love you give to an ant or a grass or even the robber . In Buddha love is UN-CONDITIONAL......there is only one kind of love in Buddha that is equal love for all living and non-living ... same not more not less .
    Buddha is not a religion for me I wanted to belief long-long time ago , human need a system to guide/control bad action... that is the time of religion , after religion era is civil law , we now are in this awareness but I belief in the future there will be no civil law as human already understand to care for all...this understanding is closer to Buddha energy .
    All religion mention abt a super force.... maybe we are all talk abt same energy but only different name . Siddharta found ...let say more easy way to understand but since very early age I am very dissapointed with the way Buddha was introduced especially by monk claimed to be Master of Buddha teaching . In Buddha teaching does not axist..... we all hv to understand and learn from each other living or non-living . We should learn even from the smallest virus... still they also hv Buddha for us to learn.

ThksEe
  • I think if you are unable to show compassion to others, show compassion to yourself. Sometimes it's the only thing we can do, and the only way we can practice compassion.
  • CSEeCSEe Veteran
    Compassion or love or care in Buddha I wanted to belief is equal to all . In Buddha there are no race , no relation ship , no culture , no religion , no belief but pure / un-polluted sound energy .
  • How do you show compassion to yourself? given the example situations i described?
  • CSEeCSEe Veteran
    In Buddha , there is no ourself , we are equal to all . In life each of us hv own desire , own demand or goal and remember each of us also in different awareness . Therefore in Buddha whatever you do is not wrong but makesure you dont regret it when you move to higher awareness . So enjoy yourself with all the nice material but be aware of Buddha and same time if you feel you want to donate some of your time , money or afford please do but you must be sincere and aware . The sum that you going to donate you must be comfortable and aware . If too little you may regret one day if too much you will feel sorry for yourself since we are all in the process of purification and take time to be fully awake..... the idea is be aware and dont regret.
  • edited January 2011
    Recently, in Australia, a cocaine/speed girl was being assaulted by her bikie boyfriend/drug supply outside a nightclub in the morning. An early morning jogger (husband & father of two) tried to help her and was shot dead in cold blood by the bikie.

Like sometimes, in families or especially in the work place, we must stand up for ourselves. This may cause a little friction at first but in the end it benefits all if we learn how to communicate & negotiate clearly. :)
    RE: example 1: the jogger should have stayed safe and called the police. (What a heartwrenching story!)
    example 2: establishing good boundaries for ourselves is skillful and ultimately compassionate toward those around us.

• @t4nk
    By not letting anger take over over your mindfulness at that time. For example, when a person on the road simply refuses to let you overtake, be compassionate to him because he might be consumed with anger or jealousy to think properly. And you are mindful not not to let your anger take over you, even though you are dying to kill him. Observe the anger and let it go immediately. That way you are practicing compassion to both yourself and the prick in front of you.
  • CSEeCSEe Veteran
    edited January 2011
    In Buddha I want to belief we ( living and non-living ) are in process of purification and take time to be fully awake , some take longer time some reach higher awareness faster . Whatever we feel / we do is not wrong in Buddha BUT we have to sure at time of our action we must aware , aware what is Buddha , consider Buddha when we act and dont regret . If you regret yr act when you move to higher awareness thats your karma and you have to come back to rectify your bad act just to satisfy your self . In Buddha we all will correct our own mistake on our own will , no one will " teach" , instruct or force us .. we will change after we move to higher awareness .
    For example if you drive and car infront of you dont let you overtake, in life I will be mad but if I think of Buddha energy I have to forgive him as he still do not reach to my awareness , he still does not understand Buddha . In Buddha we must show him sincere love to him help him to move to higher wisdom.
  • In Buddha I want to belief we ( living and non-living ) are in process of purification and take time to be fully awake , some take longer time some reach higher awareness faster . Whatever we feel / we do is not wrong in Buddha BUT we have to sure at time of our action we must aware , aware what is Buddha , consider Buddha when we act and dont regret . If you regret yr act when you move to higher awareness thats your karma and you have to come back to rectify your bad act just to satisfy your self . In Buddha we all will correct our own mistake on our own will , no one will " teach" , instruct or force us .. we will change after we move to higher awareness .
    For example if you drive and car infront of you dont let you overtake, in life I will be mad but if I think of Buddha energy I have to forgive him as he still do not reach to my awareness , he still does not understand Buddha . In Buddha we must show him sincere love to him help him to move to higher wisdom.
    ?
  • Personally, i'm glad this thread was one of the first I saw today -- its really what i needed. I've been away from the site for a while, and I really needed to come back for some much needed guidance. (and of course, see what the trending topics are, tee hee!) :)

"Not harming oneself" physically is doable, however "not harming oneself" mentally is difficult for me these days, as my largest struggle deals with attachment. I am a very loving person. I love animals, people, culture, technology, and the list goes on and on and on but i take it personally when people don't show compassion to others, thus i struggle with showing compassion to them. I find myself to be attached to easily to people, and when i see they (or I for that matter) are treated unfairly, or without compassion, I tend to lose it.

Let me clarify by stating in NO way am I an abusive person, however I am undeniably outspoken. I speak my mind, and my beliefs when I am asked, and unfortunately this sometimes gets me into trouble. Why do I have to feel bad for "sticking up" for people who don't deserve to be treated unfairly? I dont know, but i do, and its making me kind of insane.

Any feedback on the topic of this thread is greatly appreciated, especially when it comes to advise on how i can maintain showing compassion to those who may not deserve it.
  • Understand that all people are affected by the same influences and their actions, however terrible they may be are caused by who they are and what they have experienced. If you were born as that person and lived their life you would do the same.
  • CSEeCSEe Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Hi ladyfire ,In Buddha love is unconditional , we have to love ourself same we love our parent , same way love an ant or virus , same way love table and chair , same way love all.....living and non-living . Each of us ( living or non-living )hv their own awareness that will in their own speed find Buddha-the final destination . Therefore in Buddha no right or wrong no true or false is all depand on our awareness for example if you saw a young man rude to old man this is simply because the young man still has not reach to your awareness but if you see an old man abuse / rude a young man In Buddha the old man still not reach to your awareness at time of his action....time / age does not axist in Buddha .
    In life we all makes mistake for having personal view of right and wrong , in Buddha right and wrong DOES NOT axist....is equal for all no one (living or non-living) deserve the right for more or less treatment ....is equal to all.
    for the"kind of people" you mention......show them your awareness of Buddha , continue give them sincere love no matter how , share sincere love and accept love ......one day you will move higher awareness and hopefully they will too
    yes is easy to say that sometime maybe I will not have the awareness to control if someone hurt my feeling ...but that is me ok...I am not fully awake....still long way to go...hv to undergo many purification process....ok....but In Buddha I know how to act....in life I know I need to change and focus on Buddha...
  • 3. "He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me", in those who harbour such thoughts hatred is not appeased.

4. "He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me", in those who do not harbour such thoughts hatred is appeased.

Hatreds never cease by hatred in this world; by love alone they cease. This is an ancient Law.[/Quote]
    Dhammapada - The Twin Verses 3, 4 & 5
  • I think, for modern acceptance of a buddhist way of life, a more practical approach is needed to be discussed rather than spiritual vagueness. It is all well and good talking about awareness, love for each other etc but I am coming from the same place as LadyFire173, it doesn't fit in todays fast paced, quite often selfish way of life. If my neighbour saw me as someone, who was willing to be compassionate to them when they repeatedly parked their car in front of my drive. Then they would see this as acceptable and continue to. How does that make sense? Its things like this that make me think me and Buddhism arent a nice fit. But then i read things which make sense and make me look again at buddhism. Confused.
  • In order to be compassionate, we need not be passive. I mean, when you think about it, your Mom was compassionate when she yanked you from crossing the street when there was a speeding car, and then she screamed at you for not paying attention to the road.

I think if you are able to voice out your concerns in a way that it is most efficient, yet not hurt their feelings, that is compassion. Compassion does not mean letting people demand for a yard when you give them an inch.
  • CSEeCSEe Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I think, for modern acceptance of a buddhist way of life, a more practical approach is needed to be discussed rather than spiritual vagueness. It is all well and good talking about awareness, love for each other etc but I am coming from the same place as LadyFire173, it doesn't fit in todays fast paced, quite often selfish way of life. If my neighbour saw me as someone, who was willing to be compassionate to them when they repeatedly parked their car in front of my drive. Then they would see this as acceptable and continue to. How does that make sense? Its things like this that make me think me and Buddhism arent a nice fit. But then i read things which make sense and make me look again at buddhism. Confused.
    Yes you are right and as I human who lives in city I can understand you ...for a good example ( is true ) I have a relative that often telling my wife that she need money for food / her son education etc and I used to ( still is ) give money to her....but one day one of my neighbor wins alot of money from lottery and you know what my relative told my wife I quote " My husband said how nice if the stupid fools win , surely he will give us some " . My wife ask her , who is that stupid fools ? she said ....your husband.
    So can you understand how I feel? I had helps her even I have no money to pay my bill . But for this case since I understand Buddha that we must treat all equally no matter how they treat us ....show love equally even to our enemy ...love is Un-conditional , no expectation in buddha just like helping a baby birds back into her nest without keep them as pets ....The fact is I easily smile and forgive her . she maybe is not in the same level of my awareness and need to move further.....
    So I know is hard ...but trust me we cant do what they do to us ...In Buddha I cant kill simply because the robber kills my daughter eventhough in life I will kill them with my own hand...but we must understand what is Buddha .
    So this purification process will continue untill we fully awake ....
    In Buddha in your case you must continue show your atmost sincere love , share your awareness /love and accepting love from them......hopefully if not surely one day they will receive and learn from your Buddha energy and give love to you.
  • The problems with compassion which are being experienced arise from the fact that it is being seen as action first. As both the Dhammapada and the Sermon on the Mount, among others, stress, mind (i.e. mental context) comes before all actions.

It makes little or no sense to discuss compassion or to contemplate actions which may or may not be compassionate unless the mind is compassionate first. Hence the meditative practice of metta.

As a general rule, I try to hold in mind, particularly when the little annoyances of driving or the supermarket check-out queue arise, that whatever I do to others, I am doing to the whole world, including myself.

No instruction is more difficult than to love our enemies (although loving our own family can be pretty hard at times LOL) but it is one of the common planks between various spiritual disciplines.
  • Simon, very well said.

• Its things like this that make me think me and Buddhism arent a nice fit. But then i read things which make sense and make me look again at buddhism. Confused.
    I know you're speaking from the heart on this one, I feel the same a lot of times. There are certain "rules" (for lack of a better word) that i have problems with, again, compassion and attachment being the few. Additionally, i believe you are right when you say, there has to be more of a modern approach to Buddhism.

After all that said, just like any other religion or practice, these are challenges we will continue to face. The good thing, is we all have each other to vent to, and ask for guidance. There is no doubt in my mind that we're going to have struggles with issues like these every so often, all we can do is talk about it, and practice the best we can :)

too cheesy? haha...
  • There is a story, from the Christian tradition, that helps shed light on compassionate action. It concerns a young Roman soldier in the Fourth Century C.E., Martinus, who wa stationed at what is now called Amiens. He saw a naked beggar who was dying of neglect and cold. He cut his own cloak in half and wrapped it round the beggar. Neither would then freeze to death in the Gallic snow. In this way, both the neglect was transformed by human contact and acknowledgment and the cold warded off by a shared cloak.

It can be added that there is a dream that night, in the story, where the Christ is seen showing the half-cloak to the angels and praising the action, saying "Here is Martin, the Roman soldier who is not baptised; he has clad me." (Thanks, Wikip. for the quote) but it could just as well have been the Buddha Shakyamuni addressing the assembled devas and bodhisattvas with similar words.

It may also be noted that this compassionate action is undertaken by one who is studying the Way but has not yet been baptised/taken refuge.

Compassion transcends -isms and -anities and underpins them at their heart, immanent and transcendent, wave and particle, simultaneously.
  • P.S. I love cheese.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2011

Not quite a Roman soldier, although the armour is quite gorgeous, isn't it, and those El Greco faces and hands. My statue of Kwan Yin has hands like that.
  • P.S. I love cheese.
    AS do I my friend, As doooo I.... *giggle*