Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What language IS this?

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
edited April 2008 in Buddhism Today
One of the very first things I encountered during my initial steps into Buddhism was many many extremely long and confusing words in a language which I had never seen before.

I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

It always seemed like the authors of whatever I was reading just assumed that I knew what "Bodhisattva" and "Dukkha" and "Samsara" meant, including how they were pronounced.

Therefore I'd like this thread to be used by people who encounter a word which is meaningless to them when they see it somewhere. Hopefully, someone here can help you understand the word and how it is pronounced so that you can get more out of your readings.

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited December 2003
    So in the spirit of starting off this thread, I'll go with "Bodhisattva" Sometimes it is romanized as "Bodhisattiva" also.

It is pronounced "Boe dee SAHT uh wa" the "V" is soft.

Most of the words you'll find in Buddhist writings are from a language called Pali, which is no longer spoken in everyday conversation. It is spoken only in religious or scholarly context, much like Latin. This is the language that the Buddha spoke.

A Bodhisattva is anyone who is motivated by compassion and seeks enlightenment not only for him/herself but also for everyone. It is a person whose sole purpose on Earth is to help others become happy. Nothing a Bodhisattva does is for selfish reasons. It is a step on the way to becoming a Buddha.

For example, Jesus Christ was a Bodhisattva.

There is an excellent and much fuller description of this word to be found here
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited December 2003
    DUKKHA:

Pronounced "DOOK-ka" with a slight pause after the first "K"

Basically dukkha means "suffering". Anything that causes us to suffer, that causes pain or stress in our lives, is dukkha.
  • edited May 2005
    your description of a bodhisattva seems to be different from what i have come across in my experience. from what i understand, the term bodhisattva describes a sentient entity who has reached nirvana, or freed oneself from the cycle of rebirth, and therefore would under normal circumstances, no longer exist as a being in the world of samsara... however, in the case of the bodhisattva, this individual chooses to live in samsara voluntarily in order to help other sentient beings become enlightened and overcome the suffering of samsara... this person is an enlightened being willing to live in a delusional world in order to help ease suffering.

there is a slight problem here, in my opinion... i believe that it is impossible for a bodhisattva to actually exist. the reason i believe this is that in order for one to be free from samsara, one must recognize it as a delusion (experiencially, not conceptually, if there's a difference). a "bodhisattva" would have to be a being who is not satisfied with the supposed enlightenment attained because he or she is motivated to interact with the delusion of samsara in order to help ease the suffering of "others"... what others exist in the void? if the ultimate realization is the interconnectedness of all things, and if when a buddha is enlightened, the ten-thousand things are also enlightened, what sort of enlightened being is trying to save external entities that do not exist?

it is my understanding that it is the lack of realization of what one actually is that is the cause of one's suffering. to me, a bodhisattva is the equivelent of a person choosing to temporarily limit himself to the awareness of being one part of himself, say a cell in his toe-nail, in order to convince the other cells in his toe-nail to stop worrying about being toe-nail cells and to try to understand their place in the larger scheme of things. at best, a bodhisattva would be a sad sad being who is on the edge of enlightenment but is held back due to his attachment to the "feelings" of his former imaginary divisions of a fluid whole.

sorry i don't post on this thing much, i ought to be more involved, it's a nice little community.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Hi I was hoping we could get some more definitions of words used on the forum. I find myself reading and not knowing what the word is. Thanks.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    A brief reply (and it should be much longer) to Sentimentalshark on the matter of Bodhisattvas.

There is so much to say about Heroes and the unfolding Turnings of the Wheel, the development of Buddhist understanding and the different notions of arhat and bodhisattva.

Here, I would just like to make this observation:

In the Mahayana and Tantric traditions, the bodhisattvas are those Awakened Ones who choose, out of compassion, to 'return', for the sake of all beings. Of course, from one point of view, this is just silly because, as SS says, all beings, like all phenomena, are empty.

We are, however, faced with the world-as-it-appears. Thus have I heard: And it is in this world of samsara that the Buddha chose to appear and to Turn the Wheel. All the buddhas of all the worlds and all the deities, all the bodhisattvas and all the arhats may stare in wonder but the World-Honoured Tathagata has chosen to turn the Wheel of Dharma in this of all the million, million worlds, for the benefit of all beings.

As among humans, there are some who will work for their betterment and for that of their family and those close to them. Praise to the noble householder whose work brings food to our tables.

There are also those who chose to work for the betterment of those far from them and go forth, in mind, in body or in both. Praise to the Bhikkus and Bhikkunis who recite the Dharma and to all those who improve the world!

In the same way, the arhat, awakening to Buddha-nature ,rests in nirvana to the soundless sound of Great Creativity. The bodhisattva, as causation, vows that their awakening will benefit all beings. This is the carrot for the donkey, the ox among the reeds, the reason to go forth. The Bodhisattva as fruition is the great intention realised, as in Avalokiteshvara.

Buddhism is often accused of being detached and uncaring of the world's woes; and it is true that the practice of non-attachment can appear so. In some cases, in the beginner's practice, the practitioner may actually use non-attachment as an excuse for non-compassion (or as an excuse to get out of emotionally 'messy' situations!) When we experience non-attachment, we are told, we experience a full flowering of compassion. Thus, from the tears of Avalokiteshvara at the dukkha of existence spring the Taras.

IMHO, the spread of Buddhism into the West and the encounter with our notions of social justice, individual rights and freedom, brings about a reassessment of the Dharma. The bodhisattva vows resonate with the Western traditions of social benevolence. H. H. the Dalai Lama embodies, as it should be, the compassion that returns, again and again to help all that is to go beyond.

There is no contradiction here, only the usual paradox.

(I said it would be brief. Just wait for a long one!)

GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I have found the following site extremely useful when stumped by Pali or Sanskrit terms:
    http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/resource/reference/studyassist.htm
  • edited June 2005
    Simonthepilgrim.

All very well said. Thank you for your insights.

Gassho,
    Ryan
  • edited April 2008
    I too was diagnosed with rapid cycling BP. Not un common really. To manage my syptoms the following protocols have really helped.

Management Protocols
    1. Strict adherence to any/all meds
    (including OTC/supplements).
    2. Consistant Conflict/ Issue
    Resolution/management.
    3. Consistant positive self care.
    4. Consistant daily activity:
    a. Physical
    b. Emotional
    c. Mental
    d. Social
    e. Spiritual

It's nt alot really considering tha just by using you're support network regualarly will take care of a handfull of these elements at a time. Best of luck.
  • edited April 2008
    Iawa wrote: »
    I too was diagnosed with rapid cycling BP. Not un common really. To manage my syptoms the following protocols have really helped.

Management Protocols
    1. Strict adherence to any/all meds
    (including OTC/supplements).
    Resolution/management.
    3. Consistant positive self care.
    4. Consistant daily activity:
    a. Physical
    b. Emotional
    c. Mental
    d. Social
    e. Spiritual

It's nt alot really considering tha just by using you're support network regualarly will take care of a handfull of these elements at a time. Best of luck.

Resolution/management. - is this what I call the self-checking mechanism? Bit like a leper who has to constantly check for small cuts or injuries? I have to constantly check my moods and assess if I am going on a swing? And control the extent of my mood - OK I am irritated but I am not going to allow that to escalate into rage ... is that it?
  • edited April 2008
    I have a couple of questions regarding Tibetan terms, if y'all don't mind:

What is a Dorje? It seems like half the Tibetan Buddhists I meet have 'Dorje' as part of their refuge name. Any particular reason for that (are they all of the same lineage or generation of disciples)?

and

What's the difference between a tulku and a Rinpoche?

thanks!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2008
    I hope others will correct me if I am wrong:
    The Dorje is the double-ended metal "lance" that is found with the Bell, and is used in meditation...
    The Dorje is also, in sanskrit, known as the Vajra...
    It is Madculine, and represents a diamond clarity, or the thunderbolt of Understanding... it helps us cut through illusion and delusion... The bell, I believe, represents Wisdom (the feminine).
    Dorje is commonly used as a name in Tibet and Nepal...

A Rinpoche is a Precious Master, or Guru, or Teacher....
    A Tulku is a recognised reincarnation of a previous lama, and is usually a young boy. I don't think they're recognised as a full manifestation of this previous incarnation, until they have matured and been through a ceremony of some kind, to establish them in their Position....

As far as I know.

I await elaboration.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2008
    Well, pretty close, Fede. The word "tulku" (spelled "sprulku") is the Tibetan form of the Sanskrit Nirmanakaya, that is, the manifestation of the Buddha in the physical world, one of the three bodies of the Buddha. Rinpoche ("precious one") is a title associated with tulkus. And they ain't always boys! Take my teacher, for example, an American woman recognized in her 30s. I have met several other female tulkus as well. Of course, you have to remember that Tibet is a male-dominated society, so it's natural that most of the recognized tulkus are male. Not necessarily the same here in the West, of course. There have also been a number of famous female teachers in Tibet, such as Machik Labdron, who is the founder of the Chod lineage, and the previous incarnation of my teacher, the first Ahkon Lhamo, who along with her brother, Vidyadhara Kunzang Sherab, founded the Palyul lineage of the Nyingma.

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2008
    Errr....Yeh.

Well......

That's what I meant, naturally.......:o :D

Thanks Pally, I appreciate it. ;)
  • edited April 2008
    Thank you both. :)
  • edited April 2008
    Knitwitch wrote: »
    Resolution/management. - is this what I call the self-checking mechanism? Bit like a leper who has to constantly check for small cuts or injuries? I have to constantly check my moods and assess if I am going on a swing? And control the extent of my mood - OK I am irritated but I am not going to allow that to escalate into rage ... is that it?

That, and taking care of those issues that you have with others before they escalate into undesirable events.
  • edited April 2008
    Iawa wrote: »
    That, and taking care of those issues that you have with others before they escalate into undesirable events.

Many thanks Iawa - yes, very wise. I have always done that, but unfortunately in my bad old days, my taking care of issues took the form of lumbering up to those people with whom I had issues going "Oi, I want a word wi' you mate" :lol:

These days I tend to be slightly more stable about it. But then, these days I walk in the Light, which helps.