Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Some advice on a personal issue

edited January 2011 in General Banter
Hi guys / gals,

I have a bit of a personal dilemma and given that you're all smart compassionate people I was hoping for some input.

Me and my partner split up around September last year. It was not on bad terms, we just weren't seeing enough of each other (it was a long distance thing).

She moved in to a house a couple of months before we split up and I've been paying her rent from day one. I'm in a pretty well paid job and she is not which is how the situation came about. The reason I didn't stop paying it immediately was that I wanted to give her a chance to get a better paid job so she could better afford the place.

However, it has been 4 months now and she does not seem to have made any serious attempt to get a better job or resolve the situation. I've recently had to move in to more expensive accommodation (I was staying with a friend but he needed the space back).

Because this accommodation is more expensive I'm now struggling to get myself set-up with basics. For instance, I am sitting on the floor of my attic typing this.

If I stop paying her rent she will end up in a dire financial situation as she does not currently make enough to cover even the rent, let alone the other bills. She is covered by a guarantor but it hardly seems fair to move the problem to them.

What would be the Buddhist thing to do? My heart says keep paying my head says don't.

Any input would be gladly appreciated.

Comments

• Tell her she has two months to find a job before the free ride ends. If someone acted as guarantor, why doesn't it seem fair to shift the problem to them? They agreed to being the guarantor. So it's not your problem.

Once you're done paying her rent, can you help me with my monthly bills?
  • Hi,

This is a more personal opinion than a buddhist one - I would stop paying the rent as this is ultimately going to cause a sense of attachment to one another and now that you are removing one final connection is this likely cause her pain.

I dont think its wise to keep paying for her rent as its not fair on you.

take care LL
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    ixulai, I've mentioned this factor in another thread:
    You wish to exercise compassion. That's commendable and understandable.

But you must distinguish between Idiot (heart) Compassion, and Wise (head) Compassion.
    as I've said elsewhere, Idiot compassion is akin to giving a man a fish every day.
    Wise Compassion is akin to teaching him to fish.
    One 'disables', the other 'enables'.

What you do is to explain to her very calmly and kindly, that you are going to find it difficult to continue with the arrangement you currently have, because now that your circumstances have changed, you are not as replete with funds as you were - or would like to be.
    you're sorry it has come to this, you'd hoped to be able to carry on - but you have to give her notice that in 'X' weeks you are going to have to terminate payments of the rent.

"Hardly seems fair to move the problem to them".
    I agree. But she has been very glad to do leave the problem to you. I'm not saying it's deliberately selfish, but she';s been complacent....
    By doing the above, you are asking her to now take - and accept - responsibility fopr herself.
    If she protests, explain you're giving her (some) time to find an alternnative solution, but that's all you can do.

It's not unkind, it's not cruel, it's not selfish.
    It's about time, though....;)
  • It's good, up to a point, to help a friend. But the friend should reciprocate by making a serious effort to become self-sustaining. You've done your compassionate-buddhist part. Now that you can no longer realistically afford to continue helping her, it's reasonable to give her notice, and follow up when the deadline arrives.

And don't neglect to remove the "Sucker" sign she taped to the back of your jacket, or I'll come around asking you for help. ;)
  • edited January 2011
    Federica's advice is sound :)

Buddhist + Compassion ≠ doormat
  • There is no "Buddhist thing to do." It is not a prescriptive religion.

You are not responsible for her financial well being. (As far as I can tell from what you've written.) Cut her loose.
  • Thanks for all of the responses; they are as I suspected they would be but confirmation is good.

Federica: Thanks for the advice on head and heart compassion. This is perhaps something for me to meditate on as I usually struggle to differentiate the two when faced with a situation.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    The questions to ask are, "What's my Motivation? What am I doing it for? Why am I actually thinking of doing this?"

And to be brutally honest with your answers.
  • You may consider moving her into your new accomodation!
  • There is not enough information here. We are only hearing one side of this question. The effect on 'her' is not clear. Until we have a broader picture of both of you, advice is both futile and, ultimately, unidirectional.
  • Also, depending on how long you have been supporting her, you may find that you cannot simply decide not to continue. She may disagree with your decision. Many people will discuss this kind of situation with their lawyer before making a unilateral decision about cutting off support.
    There is not enough information here. We are only hearing one side of this question. The effect on 'her' is not clear. Until we have a broader picture of both of you, advice is both futile and, ultimately, unidirectional.
    Not so:
    The effect on her is for her to decide. What he does and how he proceeds is his.
    Given that he has posted his perception of his issue, we have given him responses relevant to his perception. The advice is not lacking in relevance or direction.
    If he acts upon our opinions and input, then whatever resulting consequences will reflect the "accuracy" of his account....
    Also, depending on how long you have been supporting her, you may find that you cannot simply decide not to continue.
    Yes, he can. It's his money keeping her entirely in a manner to which she seems to have become accustomed.
    She may disagree with your decision.
    That's not his problem. She may disagree, object, protest, argue and resent his decision. That doesn't alter his right to make this decision. Remember, this is not simply a decision based on personal desire. This is a decision he's making because circumstances now dictate he is unable to continue with the arrangement.
    All her disagreement and protest will not change the fact that he cannot now afford to keep paying her rent.
    Many people will discuss this kind of situation with their lawyer before making a unilateral decision about cutting off support.
    Why would he need to do that?
    There is no contract broken, there is no reneging on an agreement.
    This was a voluntary action on his part that he is now unable to continue fulfilling.
    He's not "cutting off support". He is giving her ample notice that in a definitive period of time, he will have to stop paying her rent for her.
    He is giving her adequate warning and notice. That's reasonable, and frankly, more than she is entitled to....
    There isn't a court anywhere, that will determine his actions and decision as unreasonable.

• Long live the sisterhood!
    Well, as the OP is male, I'm not sure what relevance that has..... :wtf: :D
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited January 2011

There is no contract broken, there is no reneging on an agreement.
    This was a voluntary action on his part that he is now unable to continue fulfilling.
    He's not "cutting off support". He is giving her ample notice that in a definitive period of time, he will have to stop paying her rent for her.
    He is giving her adequate warning and notice. That's reasonable, and frankly, more than she is entitled to....
    There isn't a court anywhere, that will determine his actions and decision as unreasonable.

Well I'm not sure where he lives or what the law says where you live, but where I live a common law relationship is as good as a marriage as far as a contract goes. I certainly found that out the hard way. I will be making support payments for another 7 yrs to someone who has a job. As to what she is entitled to, as Simon said, there really isn't enough info to make that judgment. I believe that his paying her rent and her accepting it implies an agreement.
    edited January 2011

Well I'm not sure where he lives or what the law says where you live, but where I live a common law relationship is as good as a marriage as far as a contract goes. I certainly found that out the hard way. I will be making support payments for another 7 yrs to someone who has a job. As to what she is entitled to, as Simon said, there really isn't enough info to make that judgment. I believe that his paying her rent and her accepting it implies an agreement.
    First of all, I don't see anywhere where it says this was a 'Common Law Relationship'. It was a LTR which was also an LDR. They drifted apart, due to the distance between them.
    Also, I have no idea whether the OP lives nearer to you, than to me, so "where you come from" really means diddly squat, insofar as the legality is concerned. The OP, I believe, is in the UK.

See this article. (section 3.4)

In the UK, there is no legal premise for a 'common Law relationship'. It means absolutely nothing at all. people may mistakenly believe it does, but the only 'relationships' that mean anything (and give legal recourse), are either marriages where a wedding has taken place, or a Civil Union exists.

It was an agreement between them, but it's not legally binding, and even if it were, he's giving her adequate notice. He's not turning her out onto the street. He's given her due notice.
    I think TBH, that covers his obligations.

EDIT NOTE:
    They broke up last September. If she had ever felt she had any legal possibility to convert this into a legally-binding agreement, she should have done so sooner.
    Secondly - she has a guarantor.
    So in fact, she may well be slipping from one method of easy-living - to another.

• Federica-I guess I can see where you get your view from on this. Having read the article that you linked and the one on parental responsibility, I would have to say that the UK sounds like a haven for deadbeat dads and ex's. I'm guessing that you don't have a Family Maintenance Enforcement Program over there. Of course that is beside the point. Women have better protection under our laws. Bad for me, but I wouldn't want it any other way. The OP referred to his partner. Could mean anything.
    You'd guess right, it probably is, but one, it's not the worst place in the world for it, and two, I'm not going to elaborate on it, it's not on topic.

Suffice to say that I am not directly responsible for what our Law dictates. Things are as they are, because they happen to be this way here. I don't "get my view" from anywhere. Whether I personally agree with it or not - It's legislation, and I do not have sufficient influence in the House of commons or the House of Lords, as a Forum Moderator, to effect a drastic change any time soon....;)

Maybe you'd like to create a thread.....?