Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Guru Yoga--How Is It Supposed To Work?

edited January 2011 in Philosophy
What are the guidelines for safe, psychologically and spiritually healthy Guru Yoga today? What types of devotional offerings are not appropriate? Should students follow Milarepa's example, as some teachers instruct, and be prepared to offer the guru their body, speech and mind? Is putting the teacher on a high pedestal ever appropriate? Under what circumstances does one practice Guru Yoga, and under what circumstances is Guru Yoga not called for?

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Ah Guru yoga is brilliant, But to take someone as a guru there are certain requirments of observation on part of the teacher.
    For example on page 95 in the chapter reliance upon the spiritual guide Geshe Kelsang explains the functions and qualifications of a guide.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Plgr0kPcsGcC&printsec=frontcover&dq=joyful+path+of+good+fortune&hl=en&ei=4ko8TZhjhpeFB4jruKcK&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Have a look. :)
  • It is a little vague what is meant by offering body speach and mind. Don't parents do that with their children? A guru is much less ignorant than a child.
  • edited January 2011
    There's an explanation from a Tibetan tulku about Tibetan Buddhist Guru Yoga from the TB point of view here. (scroll down the page a little)

http://www.nic.fi/~lapin/guruyoga.htm

We Theravadins are mentioned as follows:

"Within the Hinayana or Theravadin tradition the lama, (the teacher) is not of major importance. The teacher is regarded more as a learned spiritual friend, who is a normal human being but spiritually advanced more than oneself."

It would be best if I don't make any further comment other than to say that from my own offline experience TB eventually turned out to be the wrong path for me. Different strokes for different folks as the saying goes.

:)
  • edited January 2011
    Dazzle, I didn't read the whole thing (on the link you posted), but it sounds like an idealized description. From what I've heard and observed myself, I'd say that Guru Yoga works mainly for men. The trust inherent in the relationship can be violated, so the practice can work against women. (Or if the teacher is female, then men can be vulnerable.) And from what I understand, Guru Yoga isn't always appropriate. For example, if someone seeks out a teacher for meditation instruction, I don't think that would involve Guru Yoga, would it? Or if someone wants to study a specific text or texts with a teacher, would that involve Guru Yoga? Is Guru Yoga practiced only when a long-term relationship with a teacher is sought? I'm trying to get some detailed information so that prospective students can have guidelines to go by.
  • edited January 2011
    In general, Guru Yoga is only practiced when one is fully committed to take on HYT, or their equivalent.

And the whole idea of Guru Yoga being mainly for men is absurd. Guru Yoga is aimed at the realization of nonduality between the teacher and the initiate, and that gender is not an issue. I alreadty explained it in another thread very generally.
    If you have not received any instructions in the practice of Guru Yoga, then of course misunderstandings such as this can happen.

When you practice Guru Yoga, you visualize the lineage lama (e.g. Sakya Pandita, Je Tsongkhapa, Guru Rinpoche, Milarepa, etc.) and not the lama who confers the initiation. This is how I was taught.

When you visualize them above your crown, it is as if they are looking at your every action, listening to your every word, watching your every thought. This way Guru Yoga is good practice for developing discipline.

When it comes to receiving instructions and clarifying doubts to your practices with your own lama, you visualize the lineage lama giving them to you instead. That way you receive the blessings of the lineage lama, and speed up your progress.

Ultimately, Guru Yoga is a method to point out the nature of mind, which encompasses the Noble Eightfold Path and the 6 Paramitas, the 37 practices of the Bodhisattva, and all the samaya vows in a single practice.
    FWIW there are Guru Yoga of Vajrayogini, Machig Labdron, Vajravarahi, Tara, Yeshe Tsogyal, Mandarava, etc., and men have practiced them without any troubles at all.

@Dazzle
    If you are going to paint that same brush you have been painting with over and over again over a misunderstanding of a few lamas, you are just going to hurt yourself by ignoring a plethora of teachings which may just benefit you, and have not discovered yet.
  • In general, Guru Yoga is only practiced when one is fully committed to take on HYT, or their equivalent.

And the whole idea of Guru Yoga being mainly for men is absurd. Guru Yoga is aimed at the realization of nonduality between the teacher and the initiate, and that gender is not an issue. .
    Thank you, dorje, this is the info I was looking for. I must've missed your other comment/thread.

I'm not saying Guru Yoga was intended to be only for men, but that in practice, there have been problems, and it has been misrepresented on occasion. I'm trying to understand it better.

• edited January 2011
    @Dazzle
    If you are going to paint that same brush you have been painting with over and over again over a misunderstanding of a few lamas, you are just going to hurt yourself by ignoring a plethora of teachings which may just benefit you, and have not discovered yet.
    How very amusing that you keep assuming that I was just a beginner and hadn't discovered 'a plethora of teachings'! Please refrain from speaking to me in this manner, Dorje. I think I'll be the one to decide if I'm "going to hurt" myself, thanks.

• Still, it's just not civil to paint the whole tradition, which has produced many, many enlightened beings, with a single brush of your experience.
  • edited January 2011
    Will you stop hassling me, please?

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    The teaching about Naropa is set in another age, not applicable to today, I think. We need more practical guidelines. It's stories such as the Naropa story and the Milarepa story that have gotten students in trouble; they accept the idea of complete faith in the guru, the idea of the guru as Buddha, who has the student's best interests at heart, and the next thing the student knows, the guru is demanding a sexual relationship, and the student doesn't know what to do.

It's important to have a clear understanding of how guru yoga works, what is reasonable for the guru to ask of the student and what isn't, and in what context is guru yoga practiced (we have an answer to the last question: only when studying Higher Yoga Tantra or the equivalent). There's much misinformation about this floating around, so it's important to set the record straight for the benefit of students.

I see this thread as a continuation of the "Teacher-Student Relationship" thread. In order to insure that students can pursue their studies safely, we need to have an accurate picture of what is reasonable for the teacher to demand, what actions are acceptable (slapping a student across the face with a shoe would not go over well with some students, but maybe that's the point. Is this a reasonable action? We have no way of knowing unless we ask. Students who come to Buddhism expecting a "religion of kindness" and then find themselves being hit over the head or slapped by their teacher can get turned off). Clearly, Guru Yoga and HYT isn't for everyone.

Personally, I'd feel a lot more comfortable if women students could study with female teachers. That's what I would do if I chose to study advanced practices.

I remember someone telling me that the old standards of offering the Guru "body, speech and mind" no longer hold in these modern times. Offering one's body in any manner is no longer accepted practice. And following the guru's wishes only applies to spiritual practice, I was told. I hope this helps. Maybe someone can elaborate.
  • I am not hassling you Dazzle. I'm telling to to knock your sectarianism off.
  • edited January 2011
    It isn't sectarian to tell the truth and say that I eventually found that Tibetan Buddhism wasn't for me and so I chose Theravada. I think its time to stop trying to bully me, young man and 'telling' me what to do, in other words - hassling me.

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Have a look. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

:bowdown: :bowdown:
  • "Moral discipline" -- let me know when you find that needle in the haystack.
  • Dazzle you can do what you want but it hurts my feelings sometimes. That is not about you it is about me. But I know you are a nice person. I am sorry for your troubles with the Mahayana.
  • Thank you Jeffrey dear, that's sweet of you. No need to have hurt personal feelings about me changing traditions... because feelings come and go and are impermanent by nature....and its not about anyone here anyway.

Be well and at ease.
  • edited January 2011
    Gurus are 3000 years old. The Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita.

All you must do is study the scriptures and meditate on their wisdom. In time your experience and knowledge will grow even in the absence of a guru. The books become your guru, until your knowledge is ripe and you can teach yourself.
  • Gurus are 3000 years old. The Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita.

All you must do is study the scriptures and meditate on their wisdom. In time your experience and knowledge will grow even in the absence of a guru. The books become your guru, until your knowledge is ripe and you can teach yourself.
    Thank you, fil, I needed that. Studying with a teacher isn't always possible or workable.

• Teacher never desire for extolment and aphorism in a high pedestal as they dwell on peace and bliss. Their teachings are conditions to invoke realization and attainment. The path is taught and the experience of true way within and without thereon.

The Buddha taught his students the true path. That is, to learn and understand by experiencing for themselves the true way of the world.

"Don't blindly believe what I say. Don't believe me because others convince you of my words. Don't believe anything you see, read, or hear from others, whether of authority, religious teachers or texts. Don't rely on logic alone, nor speculation. Don't infer or be deceived by appearances."

"When I was a young man, near the beginning of my life, I looked around with true mindfulness and saw that all things are subject to decay. Thus all things are subject to death, sorrow and suffering. I became aware that I too was of the same nature, the nature of beginning and end. What if I searched for that which underlies all creation, that which is nirvana, the perfect freedom from unconditioned existence?"

"After much seeking for truth and knowledge the profoundness of reality came to me with a clarity never before known. I knew that most people never see this reality because they attach to the material aspect of the world. Illusions of self and other fill their vision. I also realized there are those with little dust limiting their vision."

- The Buddha :thumbsup:
  • Where did you get that quote from, Wilfred? It looks like it might have been derived from the Kalama Sutta here:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an03/an03.065.than.html