Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Curious Buddhist

edited December 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Hi, my names Jamie, and I'm English but taking a gap year in China.

I have always been an atheist - I have tried many religions but I never really took to any. However, today, I discovered a 300 year old Buddhist temple near my town in Jiangsu, and upon visiting was really struck by the sheer serenity and spirtuality of the monastery and the monks within it. This has led me to take an active interest in Buddhism. But I do still have a few questions, and I hope someone can answer them for me.

Firstly, I was unsure of my behaviour in the temple. As I left I bowed at the Buddha, which got me nice looks from the monks, but the temptation for me was to pray. My first question is how you do this in a temple. I wanted to, but didn't want to make a fool of myself!

Secondly, is it a problem that I'm an atheist? My understanding of Buddhism (which, I admit, is very limited) is that it does not require believe in an omnipotent being. Am I right?

Lastly, how would becoming a Buddhist change my daily life? What would it require, and would it mean a major upheaval of my living patterns, or could it fit well?

I hope someone can help me - I'm very keen to learn!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2005
    guerrilla wrote:

I
    Firstly, I was unsure of my behaviour in the temple. As I left I bowed at the Buddha, which got me nice looks from the monks, but the temptation for me was to pray. My first question is how you do this in a temple. I wanted to, but didn't want to make a fool of myself!

Secondly, is it a problem that I'm an atheist? My understanding of Buddhism (which, I admit, is very limited) is that it does not require believe in an omnipotent being. Am I right?

Lastly, how would becoming a Buddhist change my daily life? What would it require, and would it mean a major upheaval of my living patterns, or could it fit well?

First of all Jamie, may I extend a warm and hearty welcome to you!

I will attempt to answer your questions, but please understand this is purely my point of View and I'm merely offering it, since you ask. My responses are neither necessarily 'Right' or definitive.
    The final decision will be up to you, but I offer my contribution, so that you might have something to ponder on..... :)

Your behaviour in a Temple just requires respect and reverence. To what you address this reverence, and how you display it or invoke it, is your choice. There is nothing stopping you from praying - in whichever form this takes - should you wish to do so.
    Buddhists do not 'pray' per se, because as you rightly state, there is no Omnipotent Being. What you do in effect is to realise the Potential Buddha within - your Buddha Nature, and recognise it's Enlightened potential.... You don't pray in the sense that Christians would pray.... you clear your Mind, sit in quiet meditation, and contemplate.... perhaps it may even be a case of simply permitting the Peace, Silence and Serenity of the place, 'speak' to YOU.....

Buddhists come from all walks of Life.... I'm a former Christian myself, and while I would say that my Buddhist practise is both sincere and dedicated, I am conscious that much of what I learned and absorbed in my formative years still influences my thinking. This is neither 'Right' nor 'Wrong'..... perusal of this forum will show you there exists a Christian Zen Movement, and many whose lives are dedicated to their Religion, as either predominantly Christian or Buddhist, have done much to build bridges between differring Creeds.
    In short, you only have your Conscience to face up to.

Buddhism has been described as both a religion and a Philosophy.

http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?p=957#post957

Becoming Buddhist is not the problem here.... it involves 'Taking Refuge' in the Three Jewels. You might like to further view this site for more detailed and precise information.

http://www.buddhismtoday.com/index/index-eng1-beginners.htm

For my part, I took Refuge, and I follow the Eightfold Path, and adhere to the Five Precepts....

I hope I have gone some way to at least answering in part, your thought-provoking questions!
    I'm sure others will contribute, and in the meantime, enjoy what you find, and come back any time! Nice to have you with us!
  • edited December 2005
    Hello,
    I too am new to the site. Though I have been floating around and reading a few of the posts. I thought it was time I joined, as I am new to both Buddhism and Tibetan Buddhism. Their is a Tibetan group near where I live and I want to go along, but because I know so little about it I'm holding back. I hope anyone here can help with information? I've read a few things and I know that Buddhists don't believe in reincarnation, but Wikipedia said Tibetan Buddhist do? Are they right???? I have heard of the Dalai Lama, who hasn't, but I also know little about him, again can anyone help???
    Well I'll go so someone here can possibly read this and answer my queries. Ta
    Ross.
  • edited December 2005
    Buddhism isn't concerned with beliefs and all Buddhist traditions teach rebirth, rather than reincarnation. If you don't believe it though, that's fine, in fact, much better that you don't believe. You'll discover for yourself, through your own practice what it means in terms of your life here and now. As for the Dalai Lama, he's revered in Tibetan Buddhism but is not a sort of Buddhist Pope, as he's often presented. He is in fact the head of only one school of Tibetan Buddhism.
  • MakarovMakarov Explorer
    edited December 2005
    Dear Jamie,
    I read your posting and wanted to share a website with you that I think may be the answer to your questions regarding behaviour in a temple. The site is that of a very large Chinese Temple in Canada which apparently hosts many tourists. They have a page for visitors on "Temple Etiquette" which even has photos showing the proper methods of bowing before a Buddha figure, etc. The address is: www.buddhisttemple.ca/buddhism/etiquette.htm

Of course another thing that may be appropriate is to simply observe what others do as they enter and make offerings. I hope this helps.
  • edited December 2005
    Thanks everyone, this has been most helpful, especially the etiquette site. Sadly, the monastery I found was almost abandoned, with only a half dozen or so monks, which made it difficult to watch...

But thanks, this has been a very eye-opening weekend!
  • edited December 2005
    I dont mean to sound slow because all this stuff is still new to me but..whats the difference between reincarnation and rebirth? im sorry everyone im slow

anyway..Jamie your story and i kind of relate, no worries
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2005
    'Reincarnation', for a literal definition, means 'flesh re-made' which is how one would define Christ's rising from the dead - He is the Word Icarnate - the Word Made Flesh.... So someone is reincarnated exactly as they appeared previously....

'Re-birth' means returning to being alive, but not necessarily in the form you had previously...
    This is an extremely complex and quite difficult concept to grasp - !!
    This is more in line with certain Buddhist beliefs.
    So I will for example, for argument's sake, come back as a Jack-rabbit - albeit a very pretty and intelligent one.....

Doubtless you will have other explanations and definitions.... The above is merely an extremely succinct account of my definition....
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited December 2005
    The website is stunningly beautiful.
    Makarov wrote:
    Dear Jamie,
    I read your posting and wanted to share a website with you that I think may be the answer to your questions regarding behaviour in a temple. The site is that of a very large Chinese Temple in Canada which apparently hosts many tourists. They have a page for visitors on "Temple Etiquette" which even has photos showing the proper methods of bowing before a Buddha figure, etc. The address is: www.buddhisttemple.ca/buddhism/etiquette.htm

Of course another thing that may be appropriate is to simply observe what others do as they enter and make offerings. I hope this helps.
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited December 2005
    The link provided by Makarov is excellent. :)

Venerable Ajahn Brahm is also a British, now in Australia. Maybe you can visit http://www.bswa.org/ to read some of the very interesting materials about Buddhism.

There is another great website @ http://www.thubtenchodron.org/. An American Buddhist nun.

If you prefer Mahayana Buddhism which I believe temple you visited in Jiangsu is one. Goto the link provided by Makarov. There are also others like "Fo Guang Shan"-taiwan at http://www.fgs.org.tw/english/index/index.htm, "Kong Meng San"-Singapore at http://www.kmspks.org and http://www.amtb.org.tw/ - excellent site but I think only in Chinese.

One possible reasons that you felt good (strong affinity) during the temple visit could be that you were involved in Mahaya Buddhism in your previous lives.

Amitabha. :)
    guerrilla wrote:

I have always been an atheist - I have tried many religions but I never really took to any. However, today, I discovered a 300 year old Buddhist temple near my town in Jiangsu, and upon visiting was really struck by the sheer serenity and spirtuality of the monastery and the monks within it. This has led me to take an active interest in Buddhism. But I do still have a few questions, and I hope someone can answer them for me.

• edited December 2005
    Thanks, I but I do have one other question.

In the temple, there was a large structure in the middle, with about 4 statues on it, and then lined up either side were about a dozen or more other statues, each with its own prayer stool. What do these represent? I thought they might be different people who have achieved Nirvana, but that may just be me being ignorant. And which one should I pray to?
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited December 2005
    I am not sure, unless I can see a photo of it. In Buddhism, there are immeasurable Buddha and immeasurable Bodhisattva.

Usually, for a Chinese Temple, you will first get to see a statue of Maitreya - The laughing Buddha with the Four Heavenly Kings at four corners. Pictures of Four Heavenly kings are available at http://www.luckywonders.com/FourHeavenlyKings.htm
    Information about the four heavenly kings is available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Heavenly_Kings

Your can see some pictures with good explainations of the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas at http://web.singnet.com.sg/~alankhoo/Buddhism.htm#Buddhas

It will be great if you can send me a picture of it.
    guerrilla wrote:
    Thanks, I but I do have one other question.

In the temple, there was a large structure in the middle, with about 4 statues on it, and then lined up either side were about a dozen or more other statues, each with its own prayer stool. What do these represent? I thought they might be different people who have achieved Nirvana, but that may just be me being ignorant. And which one should I pray to?