Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Simple Question on Buddhist Consciousness

JoshuaJoshua Veteran
edited January 2011 in Philosophy
Before I ask the question it requires two presuppositions:

1. That the sixth sense medium is simply a sum of the first five working as one, as if the five are gears and the sixth is the engine, as if the five are a rainbow entering a prism and exiting as the sixth of white light, as if the first five Power Ranger Zords combine into the Megazord as the sixth.
2. That the fifth aggregate follows the above logic for the first four.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

The question follows that those two points are simply two sides of the same coin, which is the full (and orthodox let's not get into any Yogcarin or Cittamatrin philosophies please) spectrum of human consciousness. Maybe it'd be best put that the first five sense media and the first four aggregates together function as nine gears to the mind-engine? Am I wrong? If I'm right is there more to the engine?

Thank you.

Comments

• For that matter, EVERY aggregate is a combination of the other 4....... That's the beaty of it :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Joshua, moved both your threads regarding 'Aggregates' to the 'advanced Ideas' forum.
    The Majority of Newbs won't have a clue what you're talking about.
    Consider thread/post location carefully, please..... :)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2011
    That the sixth sense medium is simply a sum of the first five working as one, as if the five are gears and the sixth is the engine...
    My understanding is the sixth medium is separate from the others

There are six gears

Neither is the engine

What you deem to be the engine (consciousness) is not one engine

The Buddha taught there are six kinds of consciousness rather than one

1. Eye & forms & eye consciousness
    2. Ears & sounds & ear consciousness
    3. Nose & smells & nose consciousness
    4. Tongue & tastes & tongue consciousness
    5. Body & touches & body consciousness
    6. Mind & mind objects & mind consciousness

The mind sense organ (mano) is required for the mind to know or be conscious of its feelings, perceptions & mental formations (thoughts)

feeling, perceptions & thoughts cannot be known via the eye, ears, nose, tongue & body

feeling, perceptions & thoughts require their own sense organ

that sense organ is the mind (mano) which must rely on mind consciousness (mano vinnana)

kind regards

:)

• My teacher's teacher said that thinking that mind and body are two is suffering. He has a song (spontaneous doha is it called?) about it. I remember the part that says 'they interpenetrate'.
  • DD, that's what I figured would be said if I were wrong. The sixth medium is just an observer you say, an instrument of awareness, correct. So then, is there a cause or origination for this sense medium? Now I'm thinking of the Yogacarin Eighth-Consciousness which should be avoided. Is it something which must be accepted as an exclusively eastern theory or an ancient misunderstanding of the brain's neural network? Or is it in the middle ground as part of the or 'the' "bhava" that carries on from life to life between the mind-only schools and absolute atheism? I have a feeling there's nothing decisive in orthodox thought?

Do you have an opinion about the consciousness in the aggregates? It seems if the sixth sense medium is the means to personally experience the aggregates then so the fifth aggregate functions the same, and therefore they're the same--both vinnana. Which would make the OP not off base.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2011
    How do the other five aggregates get into the sixth if they are separate? I don't understand everything you say but I wondered if that question was relevant. My meditation experiences are rarely very cool. But they are to me.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    whoa, i'm afraid this post went way over my head... but i had to commend that power rangers reference! awesome.
  • One can't experience anything with self-awareness without the sixth sense medium, it is through this that one literally experiences, oberserves and allows for the aggregates to form. The question at this point is how the vinnana (consciousness) of the sixth sense medium and fifth aggregate diverge.

Thanks for bearing with me.
  • whoa, i'm afraid this post went way over my head... but i had to commend that power rangers reference! awesome.
    It was actually my roommate's idea, I went ahead and told him for you. We had a good laugh. ;)
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    whoa, i'm afraid this post went way over my head... but i had to commend that power rangers reference! awesome.
    It was actually my roommate's idea, I went ahead and told him for you. We had a good laugh. ;)
    me too! actually, i was more surprised that no one else said anything about it... i couldn't let it go unnoticed.
  • In my day it was Voltron not the Power Ranger's

edited January 2011
    How do the other five aggregates get into the sixth if they are separate? I don't understand everything you say but I wondered if that question was relevant.
    hi Jeffrey

we are discussing sense bases here (rather than aggregates)

the other five sense bases do not get into the sixth. the sixth performs a totally different function

for example, your mind is conscious of your computer. this requires a sense organ (the eye), a sense object (the physical computer) and consciousness functioning through the eye (eye consciousness). Through eye consciousness & via the eye, the physical computer is known

then your mind labels or names what is seen as "computer". this labelling is called perception. then your mind develops an intention towards the computer, such as: "I am log onto newbuddhist.com". these intentions & plans are mental formations

these labels, names, intentions & thoughts about your computer you experience via mind consciousness & the mind as a sense organ

so if you wish, you can actually do what I described above

first, look at your computer. seeing the computer requires an eye and eye consciousness. if you close your eyes, you cannot see the computer. if you open your eyes, you can see your computer

second, think about your computer. call it 'Toshiba', 'HP', 'Asus', 'Dell', whatever it is called. those thoughts are known by the mind & mind consciousness

if you close your eyes, you cannot see your computer but your mind can still think about it. if fact, possibly your mind can create an image of your computer. instead of seeing your computer as a physical object via the eye, you can picture it as a mental object in the mind

such mental objects or creations are known by the mind as a sense organ functioning together with mind consciousness

kind regards

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Yes I agree the mind experience is distinct from the sense experience. But they are not in two separate universes! They are just distinct. Like I am distinct from you. Or my arms are distinct from my legs. Sweet is distinct from sour. Taste is distinct from smell. No actually smell is the majority of taste technically. As a homebrewer I know that!

The more aroma from hops the more bitter it tastes. Even though the alpha acid content, the molecule creating bitterness, is smaller.

Of course bitterness is not a molecule it is an experience and thats why that probably seems clouded.

In a movie the emotions are driven by the music. Another thought. Yet of course the emotions and the music are distinct. One doesn't have confusion about which is music and which is an emotion.
  • I was just reading and this sounds off a bit, but I read that all six senses are part of the aggregate of perception.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2011
    The sense organs are probably form?? And the molecules...
    edited January 2011
    DD, that's what I figured would be said if I were wrong. The sixth medium is just an observer you say, an instrument of awareness, correct.
    Yes.

It is an instrument of awareness that allows the mind to experience its own mental creations.

The mentality that is an instrument of awareness is called consciousness ( viññāṇa, vijñāna).

The mentality that creates mental creations or objects is called mind (citta or sankhara khanda).
    So then, is there a cause or origination for this sense medium?
    We need to take care with the words cause (hetu) and origination (samudhaya). They can mean different things in Buddhism.

The most important understanding the Buddha sought to impart is consciousness comes into play with a condition (paccaya). These conditions are the sense organs & sense objects.

(see MN 38:
    http://www.buddhist-elibrary.org/en/albums/asst/ebook/03_mahatanhasankhaya.pdf)
    Now I'm thinking of the Yogacarin Eighth-Consciousness which should be avoided.
    The reason why the eight Mahayana consciousnesses do not accord with the Theravada six consciousnesses is because the Mahayana are simply including mind objects as the 7th consciousness and the mind (citta) as the 8th consciousness.

If take consciousness to be merely an instrument of awareness then there is only six kinds of consciousness.

The 7th and 8th consiousnesses of Mahayana are not instruments of awareness. The 7th is mind objects or consciousness obscurred by mental objects. The 8th is the creative or thinking mind (the citta) and its stored tendencies (anusaya).
    Do you have an opinion about the consciousness in the aggregates? It seems if the sixth sense medium is the means to personally experience the aggregates then so the fifth aggregate functions the same, and therefore they're the same--both vinnana. Which would make the OP not off base.
    The sixth sense medium is only the means to personally experience four of the aggregates.

The first aggregate, the body or form, is not experienced via the sixth sense medium.

The first aggregate is experienced via the eyes, ears, nose, tongue & body sense mediums.

Please. Examine this for yourself. Do not take my word for it.

Kind regards

DD

edited January 2011
    I was just reading and this sounds off a bit, but I read that all six senses are part of the aggregate of perception.
    hi

there are eighteen aspects of the sense bases:

1. Eye & forms & eye consciousness
    2. Ears & sounds & ear consciousness
    3. Nose & smells & nose consciousness
    4. Tongue & tastes & tongue consciousness
    5. Body & touches & body consciousness
    6. Mind & mind objects & mind consciousness

each consciousness (x6) is consciousness aggregate

each physical sense organ (x5) is the body aggregate

each physical sense object (x5) is the body aggregate

mind objects are feeling aggregate, perception aggregate & formations aggregate

what is left (# 16) is the mind as a sense organ

which aggregate is this?

actually, i don't know!

:eek:

the buddha called the mind as a sense organ 'mano'

in Pali, there are three words for mind, namely, 'mano', 'citta' & 'vinnana'

citta = the formations aggregrate
    vinnana = the consciousness aggregate

'mano' is rarely discussed in the teachings

• Do you think the brain is the sense organ of the mind? Sounds like that would be a no. Logically there are areas of the brain devoted to the senses, some to memory, and so forth. In buddhas time the medical and biological sciences were not around.
    edited January 2011
    Do you think the brain is the sense organ of the mind? Sounds like that would be a no.
    To be honest with you Jeffrey, I decided not to commit myself to an answer however my inclination was to regard the brain as the sense organ of the mind.

This would make the mind sense organ physical or the body aggregate (rupa khanda).

:eek:

In my meditation experience, deeper mental feelings & pure defilement (i.e. without thinking) is known directly by and in the brain.

However, to assert the mind sense organ is something physical, namely, the brain & its neurons, does sound a bit strange in terms of theory.

The Buddha used the term 'mano'. This implies something mental.

Possibly the Buddha was refering to something far more subtle.

edited January 2011
    The Pali dictionary has the following commentary (which continues for two more pages). I may ponder it tomorrow.

Good night

Meaning: mind, thought D iii.96, 102, 206, 226, 244, 269, 281; S i.16, 172; ii.94; M iii.55; A iii.443; v.171; Sn 77, 424, 829, 873; Dh 116, 300; Sdhp 369. -- 1. Mano represents the intellectual functioning of consciousness, while viñnāṇa represents the field of sense and sense -- reaction ("perception"), and citta the subjective aspect of consciousness (cp. Mrs. Rh. D. Buddhist Psychology p. 19) -- The rendering with "mind" covers most of the connotation; sometimes it may be translated "thought." As "mind" it embodies the rational faculty of man, which, as the subjective side in our relation to the objective world, may be regarded as a special sense, acting on the world, a sense adapted to the rationality (reasonableness, dhamma) of the phenomena, as our eye is adapted to the visibility of the latter. Thus it ranges as the 6th sense in the classification of the senses and their respective spheres (the āyatanāni or relations of subject and object, the ajjhattikāni & the bāhirāni: see āyatana 3). These are: (1) cakkhu (eye) which deals with the sight of form (rūpa); (2) sota (ear) dealing with the hearing of sound (sadda); (3) ghāna (nose) with the smelling of smells (gandha); (4) jivhā (tongue), with the tasting of tastes (rasa); (5) kāya (touch), with the touching of tangible objects (phoṭṭhabba); (6) mano, with the sensing (viññāya) of rational objects or cognisables (dhamma). Thus it is the sensus communis (Mrs. Rh. D. Buddh. Psych. 140, 163) which recognises the world as a "mundus sensibilis" (dhamma). Both sides are an inseparable unity: the mind fits the world as the eye fits the light, or in other words: mano is the counterpart of dhammā, the subjective dh. Dhamma in this sense is the rationality or lawfulness of the Universe (see dhamma B. 1), Cosmic Order, Natural Law. It may even be taken quite generally as the "empirical. world" (as Geiger, e. g. interprets it in his Pali Dhamma p. 80 -- 82, pointing out the substitution of vatthu for dhamma at Kvu 126 sq. i. e. the material world), as the world of "things," of phenomena in general without specification as regards sound, sight, smell, etc. -- Dhamma as counterpart of mano is rather an abstract (pluralistic) representation of the world, i. e. the phenomena as such with a certain inherent rationality; manas is the receiver of these phenomena in their abstract meaning, it is the abstract sense, so to speak. Of course, to explain manas and its function one has to resort to terms of materiality, and thus it happens that the term vijānāti, used of manas, is also used of the 5th sense, that of touch (to which mano is closely related, cp. our E. expressions of touch as denoting rational, abstract processes: warm & cold used figuratively; to grasp anything; terror -- stricken; deeply moved feeling>Lat. palpare to palpitate, etc.). We might say of the mind "sensing," that manas "senses" (as a refined sense of touch) the "sensibility" (dhamma) of the objects, or as Cpd. 183 expresses it "cognizable objects." See also kāya II.; and phassa. -- 2. In Buddhist Psychological Logic the concept mano is often more definitely circumscribed by the addition of the terms (man -- )āyatana, (man -- )indriya and (mano -- )dhātu, which are practically all the same as mano (and its objective correspondent dhammā). Cp. also below No. 3. The additional terms try to give it the rank of a category of thought. On mano -- dhātu and m -- āyatana see also the discourse by S. Z. Aung. Cpd. 256 -- 59, with Mrs. Rh. D.'s apt remarks on p. 259. -- The position of manas among the 6 āyatanas (or indriyas) is one of control over the other 5 (pure and simple senses). This is expressed e. g. at M i.295 (commented on at DhsA 72) and S v.217 (mano nesaŋ gocara -- visayaŋ paccanubhoti: mano enjoys the function -- spheres of the other senses; cp. Geiger, Dhamma 81; as in the Sānkhya: Garbe, Sānkhya Philosophie 252 sq.). Cp. Vin i.36; "ettha ca te mano na ramittha rūpesu saddesu atho rasesu." -- 3. As regards the relation of manas to citta, it may be stated, that citta is more substantial (as indicated by translation "heart"), more elemental as the seat of emotion, whereas manas is the finer element, a subtler feeling or thinking as such. See also citta2 I., and on rel. to viññāṇa & citta see citta2 IV. 2b. In the more popular opinion and general phraseology however manas is almost synonymous with citta as opposed to body, cittaŋ iti pi mano iti pi S ii.94. So in the triad "thought (i. e. intention) speech and action" manas interchanges with citta: see kāya III. -- The formula runs kāyena vācāya manasā, e. g. M iii.178 (sucaritaŋ caritvā); Dh 391 (natthi dukkaṭaŋ), cp. Dh 96; santaŋ tassa manaŋ, santā vācā ca kamma ca. Besides with citta: kāyena vācāya uda cetasā S i.93, 102; A i.63. rakkhitena k. vācāya cittena S ii.231; iv.112. -- It is further combd with citta in the scholastic (popular) definition of manas, found in identical words at all Cy. passages

http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/contextualize.pl?p.2.pali.1993459
  • maybe mano is the bodhi and the heart is the citta? Union of clarity and emptiness? Well I always have this hammer and everything looks like a nail ;)
  • It's not about the aggregates joining together to become one, but knowing that the aggregates (including consciousness) is not equal to nirvana. The joining together of aggregates in your mind would be a parts forming into a more complex thing of multiple parts. If the parts were identical there would not be parts at all. So either the entire aggregates are merely the illusion of the highest sense (nirvana) or they are different from each other and a secondary to nirvana. The quest for nirvana is to release yourself from the aggregates, no longer concerned with the origin of the aggregates but only concerned with the liberation from the aggregates.
    edited January 2011
    maybe mano is the bodhi and the heart is the citta?
    I think you are getting close. Pondering the matter, it remains difficult to articulate but it is improving.

The standard formula is:
    Dependent on eye & forms, eye-consciousness arises. The meeting of the three is contact.

Dependent on mind & mind objects, mind-consciousness arises. The meeting of the three is contact.
    For me, the mind (mano) is that which senses the 'quality' of experience. It seems related to 'bodhi' or 'rationality' or 'discernment'.

It is close to perception but is much broader than perception because it contains wisdom.

'Mano' is related to 'manas', which is the root of the word 'human' and could be taken to be 'human sensibility'.

So mano senses the 'quality' of our inner experience.

Mano requires consciousness to enable it to know inner experience or mind objects.

For example, if the mind is agitated, the mind can escape being conscious of that disturbing agitation by watching TV. Here, eye consciousness becomes engaged via the eye & TV and mind consciousness ceases to function.

But if the TV is turned off, mind consciousness will arise at the mind which allows the mind to be aware of agitation, which is its mind object.

With metta

DD

• So returning to Joshua's inquiry, it appears the mind as a sense organ falls into sankhara khanda because, generally, the wisdom faculty is included in the formations aggregate.

It is very close to perception aggregate but seems to embody more than mere perception (labelling).

• Maybe we could make a list of the sense media and the aggregates and then attempt to network them together.

E.g., The mano could be under:
    4. Sankhara:
    - 1. Mano, because..

I can try to start this out but I'll need time, I haven't had much lately. Later.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited January 2011
    In my day it was Voltron not the Power Ranger's

Wtf is this?

• In my day it was Voltron not the Power Ranger's

Wtf is this?

This is Voltron...
  • i seen the vid but man...
  • I like power rangers more :D
  • I got some time finally to read over this post.

I realized that another interpretation of the sixth sense medium (and by extension the first aggregate as you'll see), though obviously nothing more than conjecture, is the so-called conscious observer described in quantum physics. That which manifests fixed particles from omnipresent waves, what a CPU and human will never share, or more pragmatically put, that which can pass the Turing test. However, this certainly contradicts DD's statement:
    if you close your eyes, you cannot see your computer but your mind can still think about it. if fact, possibly your mind can create an image of your computer. instead of seeing your computer as a physical object via the eye, you can picture it as a mental object in the mind
    Of course this isn't to say that DD is wrong, but that we should establish which view holds more ground or whether both are equal, for the former assertment of mine is based on the idealistic quantum logic (of Eugene Wigner) whereas DD's assertment (I'm putting some words into his mouth) is a more pragmatic one, based on electroneural impulses of the brain. The issue for me is, due to the nature of Buddhism's rebirth, I tend to project scienfic explanations onto Buddhism to overcompensate for my overwhelming lack of conviction, and because this is the only available scienfic explanation I'm inclined to believe it deserves some ground.

BTW - when I say I'm putting words into DD's mouth it's because it contradicts this statement somewhat:
    what is left (# 16) is the mind as a sense organ

which aggregate is this?

actually, i don't know!
    Such that he could be thinking it might be the brain, but he's avoiding decisive action, which is proved:
    To be honest with you Jeffrey, I decided not to commit myself to an answer however my inclination was to regard the brain as the sense organ of the mind.
  • The sixth sense medium is only the means to personally experience four of the aggregates.
    What of the fifth aggregate, how does this come into play? Maybe I've missed it but how does the vinnana khanda differ from the vinnana ayatana?

DD, may I ask you an arbitrary question? What is the difference between citta and samskhara?
  • Einstein said that science was reality exposed to our method of questioning. I always think of that in regards to the electron slit experience and the notion that 'probability wave functions' are collapsed. In organic chemistry a game of lines and dots is played to guide the research. The student learns what 'the right' answer is on the test. The scientist is making observations in a lab directly. Often they are wrong but they keep playing with the situation. So I think the notion of 'probability wave functions' is only as real as the observations, but thinking of a conceptual space apart from reality is not fruitfull.