Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Request for thoughts, prayers, and generally good juju!

MountainsMountains Veteran
edited January 2011 in General Banter
My first official day of clinicals as a student nurse anesthetist is tomorrow. I feel *woefully* unprepared, but that's pretty much how everyone feels I think. Fortunately my preceptor is a really chill woman with whom I have a lot in common, so I'm at least a little de-stressed by that. The amount that I don't know is so vast and so daunting, it makes the vanishingly tiny amount that I *do* know seem utterly inconsequential.

Any positive vibes will be most gratefully and humbly appreciated! Now on to my care plans...

:)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Consider yourself vibed. My Lamp will be lit for you first thing.... :)

• lots of good wishes to you, Mountains.

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    May all go well ! :)
  • Thanks all. It was an, um, "interesting" day for sure. The first thing that happened was the entire schedule (and thus my carefully laid plans) went right out the window. It truly ended up being a learning experience, as I was shuffled from a relatively young nurse anesthetist to a retirement age anesthesiologist (MD) who has forgotten more than I'll ever know about anesthesia. My brain positively hurts, and there's knowledge running out my ears onto the floor! But I didn't run screaming out into the street, so I guess that's a good thing. More of same tomorrow!

• BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    Good for you!
  • I always seem to learn best in intense situations like that. Don't worry; you're not the only one thrown into a sink-or-swim situation. You'll learn a lot. Soak it up. :) You got this far, which is more than most people can manage. Being aware of how much you /don't/ know is actually the best position to be in (rather than being overconfident). Keep us posted.
  • Wise words Dakini - thank you! When I started this program, "humbling" was a description used by several people in the class ahead of me. They were absolutely, positively, 100% correct. The single most humbling thing I've ever attempted. I have doubts every day whether (especially at this point in my life) I'm capable of doing it, but I know I can if I just keep at it. Being single and not having family close by, I am ever-thankful for the support I get from you all. Sometimes it gets a little overwhelming until I read responses like yours. Thanks again :)

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    :) Yay! :)
    It's good to have those humbling experiences from time to time. There's too much arrogance in our society. Don't become one of those smug, know-it-all doctors! :p
    Learning new stuff keeps your brain young, you know.
  • The amount that I don't know is so vast and so daunting, it makes the vanishingly tiny amount that I *do* know seem utterly inconsequential.

This clearly says that you know you have lots (tons) to learn. I would be more inclined to worry about people who think they already know everything. If you ever get to that position, be very concerned.

Best wishes!
  • Don't become one of those smug, know-it-all doctors!
    My stock response to that (or when people call me "doctor" because I'm wearing a white lab coat): I'm a nurse. I work for a living :)

• My best wishes to you also Mountains ... and hope all is going well with your placement :)