Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

External Meditation vs Internal Meditation???

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited January 2011 in Philosophy
Thoughts on External Meditation like Yoga/Tai Chi vs Internal Meditation, like Zen and Vipassana Meditation?

Thanks,
Leon

Comments

• You see, the statues of buddha, bodhisattva, arahat, flower, icence stick, fruit offering are the external forms specially serve to reflect and achieve the internal quality of meditation :D
  • yoga and tai chi are internal meditations as well, but zazen or seated meditation is more intense and the locus is the mind
    but sometimes zazen can be primarily physical because remaining still in the lotus position is a good way to attain balance, internal and external
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited January 2011
    @LeonBasin, The mind and body have no true separate nature, so it really depends on your tastes. Whether sitting quietly or the fluid control and movement of the body, it's all taking place in the mind; if it helps calm and focus the mind, great! :D
  • edited January 2011
    I used to go to Tai Chi classes regularly, and enjoyed the gentle movements which are very helpful in improving physical flexibility. At the end of the class the teacher used to have 10 -15 minutes sitting meditation with the group. So there were both physical and mental benefits.

I think for meditation, its best to go to offline classes with an experienced Buddhist meditation teacher and a group of other people, if at all possible. It gives one more incentive to practice, and the feedback from the teacher and the rest of the group prevents one from going astray with one's practice or one's perception of one's own 'attainments' !

:)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Though these words "inside" and "outside" are kind of strange, because meditation is always an 'inside' thing, I see what you mean.

I don't think you need to see it as external VERSUS internal meditation. Both can be useful at times, depending on your state of mind and body and of course on whatever suits you personally. None is probably superiour to the others in any way (if you do them correctly). But I don't think you can go as deep with "external" ones, because there is always at least a little bit of focus on the outside/physical world.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I used to focus a lot on physical fitness and exercise prior to starting regular meditation. I found that physical activity was helpful in the release of stress and tension and helped me focus on the activity at hand, ie. running, lifting weights, moving into inverted postures and I saw how this helped my mind greatly. I still like going to Hatha yoga classes for similar reasons as Dazzle describes above for attending Tai Chi ... have recommenced this again recently and can feel the benefits to my body, though as my meditation practice has improved and developed the way I see exercise and my relationship to it has changed these days ( as with nutrition, food and other substances I put into my body) - the purpose is primarily to help keep my body as healthy as I can to promote ongoing practice ... hope that makes sense.