Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Comments

• Wow! I don't know how people will coment on that but it'll be interesting to see/
  • Here's a section of the text for those unable to follow the link:

"DHARAMSHALA, India — Indian police have raided the monastery of a top Buddhist monk seen as possibly Tibet's next spiritual leader and seized an unspecified amount of cash, a senior officer said Friday.
    Police swooped on the Karmapa's monastery in Dharamshala, a hill station in northern India, on Thursday and returned Friday to question staff about the origins of local and foreign bank notes discovered on the premises.
    "Questioning is going on at the monastery to find out where the money came from," district police superintendent Santosh Patiyal told AFP..."

Hmm, I wonder... Is this politically motivated?
  • I think it depends on how the money came about, and what the intended use was for. If it was through donations and intended for acquisition of land to build a monastery, a school, anything which might benefit the future, then I don't see what's wrong.

If it was some shady stuff I think it's a shame that it happened.

But then again, monks shouldn't be handling that much money. They should appoint someone in the laity they trust to handle these things.

The modern media has always been sensationalized to gain readership/viewership/listenership, and until and unless moire details are revealed I think it's too early to judge.
  • A photo of the Gynto Ramoche Temple, taken during my visit in 2001, a few months after the young Karmapa's escape to India:image
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Interesting.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Also interesting that no mention of any crime being committed, was made. Perhaps simply having a lot of money in your possession is a crime these days...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I thought the next spiritual leder of Tibet would be a reincarnation of HH the Dalai lama....?
    AFAIK he's not dead yet....is he?
  • edited January 2011
    No he's still very much alive - and I think that at the moment its probably just speculation about the Karmapa taking his place. Here's what HHDL said about his successor last August.

http://www.examiner.com/dalai-lama-in-national/who-will-succeed-the-dalai-lama-as-head-of-the-tibetan-government-exile
  • There are two different things here: spiritual and political. The next Dalai Lama, should there be one, will not be any sort of leader for many years as he grows from childhood. He would, we can hope, avoid the loneliness that Tenzin Gyatso has described as integral to the old way of raising the new Dalai Lama. I imagine that, for the first time, the young person (male or female) might even be allowed to go to one of the wonderful Tibetan Village Schools established by HHDL's sister in India.

H.H. the Karmapa is an extraordinary young man and well fitted to be among the spiritual leaders of Tibetan Buddhism. As for political leadership, that must arise from the democratic will of the Tibetan people in exile until an acceptable solution to the internal problems of Tibet is reached.
  • I have to say I was shocked when I met a Tibetan monk and he pulled out his purse with money in it. I was used to the Theravadin monks who, following the rules in the Vinaya Pitaka, are not allowed to handle money. All donations and other money matters are handled by the laity on their behalf.
  • I gave a little background on the police raid on the Karmapa in a blog post http://bit.ly/fo8lcu

"All donations and other money matters are handled by the laity on their behalf."

Well, yes. It was the aide to the Karmapa who handled his finances who was arrested. I'm very puzzled by the Indian government's actions. The one consistent theme is that they've put him in a box and don't want him climbing out, in this case, by building his own monastery.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I thought the next spiritual leder of Tibet would be a reincarnation of HH the Dalai lama....?
    AFAIK he's not dead yet....is he?
    Someone will have to function as regent, until the new reincarnation is found, and grows to adulthood. And the Karmapa most likely will be involved in selecting or approving the new reincarnation, since the Panchen Lama has been sequestered in China since he was a child. The interesting thing is, the Chinese of course are planning to appoint the next DL themselves, but since the Karmapa also was validated by them, they can't (in theory) really object to the DL's reincarnation that the Karmapa appoints. It's an interesting manouver the Tibetans have pulled off.

But the DL no longer is the head of gov't, is he? There's not an elected prime minister. The DL is only the spiritual head of the Tibetan people, isn't he?
    No he's still very much alive - and I think that at the moment its probably just speculation about the Karmapa taking his place. Here's what HHDL said about his successor last August.

http://www.examiner.com/dalai-lama-in-national/who-will-succeed-the-dalai-lama-as-head-of-the-tibetan-government-exile
    "An attractive woman would be more effective than an ugly one" ??!! (HHDL on the subject of his next reincarnation, which, he speculates, might be a woman.)

• there is an elected leader of the tibetan congress in exile, i believe.
  • That's the Prime Minister.
  • thats what i thought.
  • edited January 2011
    I would like to add that we don't know the reason for this raid. The Indian government is an ally of HH Dalai Lama, and the reason these monasteries exist in Dharamsala is because the Indian govt has given asylum to a huge number of Tibetan monks, and has granted the use of land for monasteries. Bad (illegal) things can and do happen, and laws and police exist to investigate and prosecute them. Having said that, Buddhist monasteries are technically autonomous vis a vis their relationship with the State (although plenty have been plundered, closed and opened by ancient kings). All good people are honest and support the law. However in cases such as this it is the responsibility of the Sangha to take appropriate action if a crime is being committed on the grounds of the monastery. The problem here is that I could never imagine Vajrayana laity or monastics using the Vinaya processes to object to anything that might be considered questionable (not saying that anything bad has happened in this case).
  • Monks in Tibet still have to uphold and maintain the Vinaya, and work according to their prescriptions.
  • In theory, but not always in practice...
  • Kagyu Office Announcement
    January 29, 2011. Dharamsala

We would like to categorically state that the allegations being levelled against the Karmapa and his administration are grossly speculative and without foundation in the truth. Everyone who knows the history of our lineage, our struggle and His Holiness' life is very surprised by the allegations.

We categorically deny having any link whatsoever with any arm of the Chinese Government. The Karmapa has a deep affection for the people of this great country of India where he has been practicing his faith for years. We have had a long and positive working relationship with the democratic Government of India that has always demonstrated great tolerance of cultural expression and diverse beliefs.

We have followers in a large number of countries who have placed their trust and faith in us and, through their individual donations, enabled the sect to undertake substantial programmes of public service that have benefitted many thousands in India and abroad.

Monasteries across the world accept offerings from devotees in various forms-there is nothing surprising, new or irregular in this. . A representative of HH the Dalai Lama's office underlined this yesterday. The cash in question under the current investigation by the police is offerings received for charitable purposes from local and international disciples from many different countries wishing to support His Holiness' various charitable activities. Any suggestion that these offerings were to be used for illegal purposes is libellous.

At this point, about the Chinese currency we can say that his Holiness has a large following of Tibetans from Tibet who make donations in Chinese currency. The fact is that His Holiness the Karmapa has millions of followers around the world, who hold him in the highest esteem and reverence. All our dealings across the world are honest and completely transparent-anything else would be contrary to the Buddhist principals that we live by.

Because the Gyalwang Karmapa resides in temporary quarters in Dharamsala, his Office of Administration has been seeking to build a monastery as a permanent residence for His Holiness. This project is clearly subject to Indian government approval. The Gyalwang Karmapa's office has kept the relevant Indian government agencies fully informed of its recent plans to purchase suitable land. The potential site was evaluated and cleared by the appropriate governmental offices. The negotiations to purchase the land are still in progress, have been reported to the Indian authorities, and are completely above board.

I can confirm that Shakti Lama was taken into custody yesterday but we are confident of his release very shortly, as soon as we provide the law with the answers they are looking for. I can also confirm that HH the Karmapa has made himself fully available for questioning by the officers concerned.

We will supply as much information as available, as regularly as possible but would also like to state that our first priority is to cooperate fully with the investigations underway.

Issued by Karmapa Office of Administration
    Dharamsala, HP

Kagyu Office Announcement
    January 28, 2011

Our lineage and His Holiness the Karmapa enjoy the love, trust and faith of millions across the world. We have a rich history of public service made possible through financial dealings that are entirely transparent. We will certainly answer all questions that the press and the public have, but for now we respectfully request you to allow us to concentrate on complying fully with the investigation that is underway.

Karma Chungyalpa

Dy. General Secretary and Spokesperson,
    Karmapa Office of Administration

• This nearly 100 years old venerable was also locked up in the prison for 33 years in China without going against the law.
  • It is quite possible that money was put aside for the construction of the Monastary..and it is possible there was some shady things going on. We will see as the truth is brought forth..I hope it is just a misunderstanding and that the money was put aside for the building of the Karmapa's Monastary.
  • The first link is somewhat dated, but provides probably the best background that one can find online concerning the Karmapa controversy. It should almost be required reading:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/EL24Ad02.html

And I would suggest that it might be a good idea to read this article carefully and reflect on it before plunging into Asia Times' more recent update, which you will find on the next link. Without a good idea of where the forest lies, the number of trees can be over-whelming.

It seems to me that the author of the article, Peter Lee, does not always make good choices of words, and, apparently, he accepts Erik Curren's book uncritically--something quick I would not recommend. I've read the book myself, and I would suggest that it is quite biased. Nonetheless, Lee's article provides a great deal of information and is quite thought-provoking.

Of course, events have yet to play themselves out, and the last word has yet to be written.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/MB12Df02.html

If the links above tweak anyone's interest enough to do more study, this is one of the best single histories of the Tibetan people that I've found:

http://www.betterworldbooks.com/the-tibetans-id-0631225749.aspx

Geoffrey's work is arguably better, but it's quadrupled in price since I bought it:

http://www.betterworldbooks.com/civilized-shamans-id-1560986204.aspx

• FYI latest regarding this issue

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/12/world/asia/12briefs-India.html?_r=2

India: Tibetan Lama Cleared in Cash Inquiry, Report Says
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Published: February 11, 2011

Indian authorities cleared one of Tibetan Buddhism’s most revered lamas on Friday in an investigation into $1.35 million in cash discovered last month at his headquarters in northern India, a news report said. Rajwant Sandhu, the top civil servant in Himachal Pradesh State, said the money found during a raid on the monastery of the Karmapa, above, Tibetan Buddhism’s third most important leader, had been donated by his followers, the Press Trust of India news agency reported. The Karmapa had no links to the money since the affairs of his trust are managed by his followers, Ms. Sandhu said. “The Karmapa is a revered religious leader of the Buddhists, and the government has no intentions to interfere in religious affairs of the Buddhists,” she said, according to the P.T.I. Last week, the state police said the Karmapa’s followers violated Indian tax and foreign currency laws in collecting the donations.

A version of this brief appeared in print on February 12, 2011, on page A5 of the New York edition.
  • trust the indian police to make molehills out of mountains.....of cash!!
  • Here is a letter from the Abbot of my monestary that will be sent to The Indian Government regarding the situation.

Letter From Lama Norlha Rinpoche To Indian Government Regarding His Holiness Karmapa

I write you as one of many Tibetans who owe their lives to the kindness of the Indian Government that welcomed us and gave us refuge when we lost our country. Our spiritual histories have been intertwined for two thousand years, and it was my privilege to make India my second home for more than fourteen years after my own homeland was invaded.

My concern about the severe scrutiny currently directed toward His Holiness the Karmapa is that it may have its roots in forces that the official Indian Government may be unaware of, since the allegations have been made at the state level. The inordinately harsh response of the Himachal Pradesh police in arresting monastery representatives seeking to purchase land for religious purposes, and then invading the monastery itself to seize funds is suspicious and unprecedented—it suggests some ulterior motive is at work.

Since 2001, His Holiness the Karmapa has presided over the great annual Monlam Festival at Bodhgaya, birthplace of the Lord Buddha. To these great festivals have come every year thousands of devotees from dozens of countries. His teachings on compassion and virtue are webcast all over the world with translations into eight different languages.

Naturally, all those devoted to a great spiritual teacher yearn to help and honor him, and often this takes the form of contributions of money, land, and property to the teacher. I myself have given many contributions to His Holiness the Karmapa, and so have many of my students in North and South America. Followers of the Buddha from all over the world make contributions to His Holiness, so it is no surprise that large amounts of money have made their way to his monastery. Any contributions he has received, any money he holds, has solely been for the benefit of the monks, nuns, and laypeople of the Buddhist faith.

His Holiness Karmapa and His Eminence Tai Situ Rinpoche, both exemplary Buddhist monks and pure spiritual teachers, cannot travel freely within India or throughout the world. What have they done to justify this constraint? Tibetans who have made their homes in India since 1959 - whether monks, nuns or lay people, are allowed to travel freely. Why are His Holiness the Karmapa and His Eminence Tai Situ Rinpoche not allowed the same privilege? I pray that one day these two great teachers will find this freedom. With great respect for the expertise of the Indian officials who gather intelligence, I humbly request that urgent attention be given to unmasking the forces that for their own reasons are trying to keep His Holiness Karmapa from freely exercising his religious obligations. As the Karmapa, it is his sacred duty to travel to Buddhist centers and give teachings—it seems unnatural to inhibit his basic function, or that of any other spiritual leader in India, of any religion.

His Holiness the Karmapa is devoting his whole life to the teachings of the Buddha and the preservation of the Kagyu Lineage of uninterrupted instruction reaching back to ancient times. His teachings aim to benefit India and the whole world; he has no interest in politics or power. It is my hope that the authorities in India consider carefully how deeply beneficial the Karmapa’s teachings have been to the religious life of India and the world. India is the great homeland of religion, and this great teacher should be made to feel completely at home there, and not made to feel suspect or unwelcome.

Sincerely,
    Lama Norlha Rinpoche
    Abbot, Kagyu Thubten Chöling Monastery

• FYI latest regarding this issue

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/12/world/asia/12briefs-India.html?_r=2

Thank you, Fenrir. I seldom read the NY Times, and I would have missed this.

• edited February 2011

That is OK. It is always wise to be careful about casting aspersions on our teachers, especially bodhisattvas like HH Dalai Lama and HH Karmapa with whom we may have samaya bonds.

Regards
    Fenrir