Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Lieing meditation, not Lying

edited January 2011 in General Banter
Im fairly lazy and find it very easy to meditate lieing in bed, especially when Im relaxed but not tired enough to sleep, has anyone ever tried traditional in out breathing meditation in bed, lieing down and if so do you think this could be an alternate or in addition to more conservative sitting meditation, sincerely John

Comments

• Have you ever done a body scan while lying down. I have nervous tension and mental problems and it is helpful to become mindful of the immediacy of my body. Lie down and feel your toes of your left foot. Move to your torso slowly then up the right foot. Then the body to the neck. Then each arm. Then the face and head. The most important thing is to sit with the feeling in your body. Impurities in metals are removed by heating it or something and going along the metal the impurities come out forget the details. When you are finished breath in through your feet and out through the top of your head. Then in through your head and out through your feet.

See how it feels.

Anyways, this is how I do lying meditation which is the infitive (ing) of lie (verb) if I am correct though I am not big up on grammar anymore :P
  • Sure. I used to have insomnia, so I spent a lot of time wandering around my thoughts and observing the mind do it's thing. I think that prepared me for proper meditation later on. Though I have no trouble falling asleep, I find it's a win-win situation. If I can't sleep, I meditate... if I can sleep, I sleep.

I think it's best in addition to sitting meditation rather than as an alternative.
  • @fmrMonkJohn, Right here. Most of my work has been done meditating in bed for a couple hours before deciding to call it a night. Replaced 2 hours of sleep with 2 hours of meditating to great effect.
  • Im fairly lazy and find it very easy to meditate lieing in bed, especially when Im relaxed but not tired enough to sleep, has anyone ever tried traditional in out breathing meditation in bed, lieing down and if so do you think this could be an alternate or in addition to more conservative sitting meditation, sincerely John
    Laying down is one of the things that we can be mindful of.When we do his we are mindful of laying down and then can note "|Rising,falling,laying,rising....
    We can also see drowsiness arising and can meditate until we are asleep.
    With metta,
    Phra Greg

• glad to see im not alone, a lot of statues of the buddha have him in a prone position, sleeping or meditating.