Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Yogic Flying??

edited January 2011 in General Banter
What do you guys think???

Comments

• Saw a documentary on this before; it's just very focused hopping, you can't consider it flying unless you really stretch the meaning. :D
  • What about the vibes before take off?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited January 2011
    shrug
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    this is still clearly just hopping
    So clearly that one has to wonder why this was even news/documentary worthy.
  • I just think it's funny how they never learn to fly longer or higher than a person could jump....
  • I like it when the narrator says "these people are very happy"
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    i'm sorry, but when they talk about the sudden impulse that develops in their body to hop around... it just made me think of the pentecostals and their sudden impulse to "speak in tongues"

i never get any weird urges for my body to act out in a physical way...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I do.... see doughnut....and....str-e-e-e-e-e-t-c-h! :D
  • This jumping was shown in a film on TB. I can't figure out why they're even calling it flying. (Is the media actually running out of stuff to sensationalize, so now they have to make stuff up? :rolleyes: )
  • If only I had as much enthusiasm for my practice as them hopping all over haha! I wonder where they got that doctor? Theres always a doctor for every product isn't there?
  • The hopping is the first stage, followed by levitation, then flying. So why no footage of the latter two?
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    Dumbasses.
  • [5] "He wields manifold supranormal powers. Having been one he becomes many; having been many he becomes one. He appears. He vanishes. He goes unimpeded through walls, ramparts & mountains as if through space. He dives in & out of the earth as if it were water. He walks on water without sinking as if it were dry land. Sitting crosslegged he flies through the air like a winged bird. With his hand he touches & strokes even the sun & moon, so mighty & powerful. He exercises influence with his body even as far as the Brahma worlds.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.119.than.html
  • Yogic bouncing sounds less sexy than yogic flying :)
  • i'm sorry, but when they talk about the sudden impulse that develops in their body to hop around... it just made me think of the pentecostals and their sudden impulse to "speak in tongues"

i never get any weird urges for my body to act out in a physical way...
    I do, but we can't discuss that in a family friendly forum :) I've always had to chuckle at the whole tongues thing. There are churches very close to where I live where that is an every Sunday occurrence. It's strange though - the "tongues" that they're "speaking" seem only intelligible to the person "speaking" them. And they sound an awfully lot like the gibberish I make when I'm really confused and/or drunk out of my mind. :)

• But it does seem cool! And what "if" they are right and succeed???? It will create a whole new era.. Can't wait!!! :D Anyways, I am not expecting anything :P So, it's just different... And I would like to see what comes out of it :) And I do believe in these things to a certain extent, but I get annoyed when I see people trying to make hoaxes.. It just reflects them not believing in what they are doing when they make up hoaxes :P ....
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    [5] "He wields manifold supranormal powers. Having been one he becomes many; having been many he becomes one. He appears. He vanishes. He goes unimpeded through walls, ramparts & mountains as if through space. He dives in & out of the earth as if it were water. He walks on water without sinking as if it were dry land. Sitting crosslegged he flies through the air like a winged bird. With his hand he touches & strokes even the sun & moon, so mighty & powerful. He exercises influence with his body even as far as the Brahma worlds.
    No, I don't think he does, I just think he looks like a manic frog.

Tis forum is becoming filled with the most inane, un-buddhist, tasteless rubbish I've seen in a long time.
    I think people need to remember two things:
    One This is a BUDDHIST forum and as such, has a primary focus, therefore you should really consider carefully whether such futile, ridiculous and frankly at times, laughable material, is appropriate.
    Some newbies coming in for the first time and seeing this kind of frankly mindless and distinctly unskilful material would probably wonder what the hell this is all about.
    Secondly - is it conducive to your practice?
    Does posting, discussing and focussing on such trivia really help your progress along the 8Fold Path?
    I'm hard pushed to see how they would...
    I'm on a sweep.

Please, just give it a bit of thought before saying, "oooh, this is a great talking point!"

Sometimes, what that actually means is, "I'm so bored, what shall I do now?"

Thanks.

• [5] "He wields manifold supranormal powers. Having been one he becomes many; having been many he becomes one. He appears. He vanishes. He goes unimpeded through walls, ramparts & mountains as if through space. He dives in & out of the earth as if it were water. He walks on water without sinking as if it were dry land. Sitting crosslegged he flies through the air like a winged bird. With his hand he touches & strokes even the sun & moon, so mighty & powerful. He exercises influence with his body even as far as the Brahma worlds.
    No, I don't think he does, I just think he looks like a manic frog.

Tis forum is becoming filled with the most inane, un-buddhist, tasteless rubbish I've seen in a long time.
    I think people need to remember two things:
    One This is a BUDDHIST forum and as such, has a primary focus, therefore you should really consider carefully whether such futile, ridiculous and frankly at times, laughable material, is appropriate.
    Some newbies coming in for the first time and seeing this kind of frankly mindless and distinctly unskilful material would probably wonder what the hell this is all about.
    Secondly - is it conducive to your practice?
    Does posting, discussing and focussing on such trivia really help your progress along the 8Fold Path?
    I'm hard pushed to see how they would...
    I'm on a sweep.

Please, just give it a bit of thought before saying, "oooh, this is a great talking point!"

Sometimes, what that actually means is, "I'm so bored, what shall I do now?"

Thanks.

I know... I have a lot to correct.. Thanks anyways, for puttin me back :) I absolutely agree with you.. I will become more steadfast..
    Nidish, Can I close this, please?
  • Flying is easy - you simply throw yourself at the ground and miss.Oh

Or so said Douglas Adams in "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy". Which, coincidentally, makes more sense than Yogic... jumping.

Oh, and my very athletic daughters can do this easily, without any kind of trance. All the kids at their karate class were trying it, just for a laugh. Most of them could do it, provided they could get into a stable lotus position (which most of them can). I don't imagine it's very good for the hip joints though.

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    What do you guys think???

Well I gotta say its pretty impressive hopping in the lotus position !
    Flying is easy - you simply throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Or so said Douglas Adams in "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy". Which, coincidentally, makes more sense than Yogic... jumping.
    Douglas Adams said a lot of absolutely genius brilliant stuff, which he also managed to make hilarious... :thumbsup:
    Oh, and my very athletic daughters can do this easily, without any kind of trance. All the kids at their karate class were trying it, just for a laugh. Most of them could do it, provided they could get into a stable lotus position (which most of them can). I don't imagine it's very good for the hip joints though.
    I'm so glad you said this. When I was a child, we used to do this during PE. (Physical Education, for those who don't know....)Our PE teacher used to encourage us to do it, and told us it was good for our (girls') hips.
    But she would only let us do it 10 times...Some of us got pretty good at it, but it seemed to be dependent on how long your legs were, in relation to your body. Those with longer femurs, did better than those with comparatively shorter ones.
    I'm petite, but proportionately, my femurs are quite long, so I managed it quite well.
    So anyone who tells you this is some mystic and extraordinary ability developed through Meditation and 'levitation' - is talking utter bunk. If a 12-year-old schoolgirl can do it.... :rolleyes:
  • Nidish, Can I close this, please?
    Of course...

Well, I'll leave it, because we've had other comments since your last.
    It will die on its own, as so many things do..... :D