Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation Gives Brain a Charge, Study Finds

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited January 2011 in General Banter
Brain research is beginning to produce concrete evidence for something that Buddhist practitioners of meditation have maintained for centuries: Mental discipline and meditative practice can change the workings of the brain and allow people to achieve different levels of awareness.

Those transformed states have traditionally been understood in transcendent terms, as something outside the world of physical measurement and objective evaluation. But over the past few years, researchers at the University of Wisconsin working with Tibetan monks have been able to translate those mental experiences into the scientific language of high-frequency gamma waves and brain synchrony, or coordination. And they have pinpointed the left prefrontal cortex, an area just behind the left forehead, as the place where brain activity associated with meditation is especially intense.

To read the full article:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43006-2005Jan2.html

Comments

• Didn't you already make a thread saying this recently...?
  • It was called "Brain scans show meditation changes minds, increases attention"

:)
  • Yeah there we go, thanks @Dazzle. :) Best to not create unnecessary extra threads on the same basic topic, especially when the other thread is still active, or they'll probably end up getting merged by a moderator (or deleted).
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Yeah there we go, thanks @Dazzle. :) Best to not create unnecessary extra threads on the same basic topic, especially when the other thread is still active, or they'll probably end up getting merged by a moderator (or deleted).
    Yea, you right.
    I forgot.
    Thanks.
  • Heaven forbid I didn't meditate. My brain truly *would* be mush. It feels like that most days right now anyway! :)