Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Brain scans show meditation changes minds, increases attention

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited January 2011 in General Banter
For hundreds of years, Tibetan monks and other religious people have used meditation to calm the mind and improve concentration. This week, a new study shows exactly how one common type of meditation affects the brain.

Using a scanner that reveals which parts of the brain are active at any given moment, the researchers found that meditation increased activity in the brain regions used for paying attention and making decisions.

"Most people, if they heard a baby screaming, would have some emotional response," Davidson says, but not the highly experienced meditators. "They do hear the sound, we can detect that in the auditory cortex, but they don’t have the emotional reaction."
The changes were associated with the practice of concentration meditation, says study leader Richard Davidson, professor of psychology and psychiatry at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health and the Waisman Center. Practitioners were instructed to focus attention intently on a stimulus, and when the attention wandered off, to simply bring the attention back to the object, explains Davidson.

To read full article go here: http://www.news.wisc.edu/13890

Comments

• Good stuff Leon! do you like doing research?
  • There's some videos of scientists and Buddhist monks helping with investigations about the brain in the past,(including HHDL) here:

:)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Good stuff Leon! do you like doing research?
    Yea, I do!
    I have been doing research for at least 10 years...lol!

• Here's another article I found. There's a cool little meditation trick discussed in the middle (regarding sitting on a park bench), invented by a Westerner, apparently. I never heard of it from Buddhism. Pretty clever!

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2008914,00.html

Here's another article I found. There's a cool little meditation trick discussed in the middle (regarding sitting on a park bench), invented by a Westerner, apparently. I never heard of it from Buddhism. Pretty clever!

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2008914,00.html

Thank you!

• I have been doing research for at least 10 years...
    if you need any voluntary participant, i am at your service

I have been doing research for at least 10 years...
    if you need any voluntary participant, i am at your service

Let's begin!
    What kind of research do you do?
    What is your favorite topic/subjects?
    Do you have Facebook?

• What kind of research do you do?
    trying to find out the relationships between colours and people's characteristics; relationship between letters/sounds and the 'meaning' of them; relationships among four elements, worldly disasters and individual illnesses
    (in short involve in dhamma-vicaya in Insight meditation)

relationship among four elements and individual illnesses

Do you have Facebook?
    yes, but my involvement in such things are very little

What kind of research do you do?
    trying to find out the relationships between colours and people's characteristics; relationship between letters/sounds and the 'meaning' of them; relationships among four elements, worldly disasters and individual illnesses
    (in short involve in dhamma-vicaya in Insight meditation)

relationship among four elements and individual illnesses

Do you have Facebook?
    yes, but my involvement in such things are very little

Anything interesting that you have found?
    My main research in Psychology/Spirituality...
    So Buddhism and Psychology combination.
  • you know half..of meditation is breathing and getting a different oxygen level in your blood and brain.. thats what i think.(im probably 1/3 wrong)..but anyway... my muscles get stronger and more flexible, my eyes cool down, it'd be an obvious observation that they would see differences.. if im shit faced wasted i can sober up for minutes at a time after meditating, i imagine there would be similarities to listening to music, having orgasm and adrenaline..somehow