Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Can someone help? Lankavatara (long)

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited February 2011 in Philosophy
I'm having a difficult time understanding what is meant by "error" in this passage. (106-108)

"At that time Mahamati the Bodhisattva-Mahasattva again said this to the Blessed One:
Blessed One, where dost thou pronounce sound to be eternal?
The Blessed One replied: According to error, Mahamati; since even to the wise there is this
error, only that they are free from perversion. Mahamati, it is like the unwitted in the world
who conceive a perverted idea regarding a mirage, a firebrand wheel, a hair-net, the city of the
Gandharvas, Maya, a dream, a reflected image, and an Aksha-purusha, but with the knowing
it is not so, though it. does not mean that those illusions do not appear to them. When,
Mahamati, there is this error, diversities of forms are seen, though to this error the idea of
impermanence is inapplicable. Why? Because it cannot be characterised with the ideas of
being and non-being. Again, Mahamati, how are the ideas of being and non-being
inapplicable to this error? Because all the ignorant take in varieties of situations, like the
waves of the ocean and the waters of the Ganges which are not seen by the Pretas, but seen
[by others]. For this reason, Mahamati, the error-existence [or this world of illusion] is not,
but as this water is manifest to other people it is not a non-existence either. Thus to the wise,
the error is neither a perversion nor a non-perversion. And for this reason, Mahamati, the error
in itself is characterised with permanency, having the nature of non-distinction [as far as its
own appearance is concerned]. Mahamati, being discriminated as regards its diversified
individual signs, (107) the error is perceived as differentiated. Thus the error, [as far as its
own nature is concerned], is characterised with permanency. Again, Mahamati, how is the
error to be considered reality? Mahamati, for this reason that as regards this error the wise
cherish neither a perverted knowledge nor an unperverted knowledge. It is [such as it is and]
not otherwise. In case, Mahamati, the wise should cherish any thought whatever in this error,
it goes contrary to the reality attainable by noble wisdom. If there is anything at all here it is
the prattling of the ignorant, it is not the talk of the wise.
Again, when the error is discriminated according to a perverted and an unperverted view, it
gives rise to two classes of family, one of which is the family of the wise, and the other the
family of the ignorant and simple-minded. Now, Mahamati, the family of the wise is divisible
into three kinds, that is, the Sravakas, the Pratyekabuddhas, and the Buddhas. Mahamati, how
does the Sravakayana family rise from the discrimination whereby the ignorant conceive the
error? Mahamati, there is the rise of the ıSravakayana family where the attachment to the
notions of individuality and generality is kept up. This is the way, Mahamati, this error gives
rise to the Sravakayana family. Mahamati, how does the Pratyekabuddhayana family rise as
the error is discriminated? Mahamati, when in this error the attachment to the notions of
individuality and generality (108) leads one to a retirement from social life, there rises the
Pratyebuddhayana family. Mahamati, how is there the rise of the Buddhayana family when
this error is discriminated by the intelligent? Mahamati, when the world is understood to be
nothing but Mind itself, the existence and non-existence of external objects ceases to be
discriminated, and there is the rise of the Buddhayana family. Mahamati, this is the family,
that is, what is meant by the family.
Again, Mahamati, when the error is discriminated by the ignorant, there is the manifestation
of varieties of objects which calls forth the assertion [on their part] that this is so and not
otherwise; whence rises the family of the transmigration vehicle. For this reason, Mahamati,
the error is discriminated by the ignorant as characterised by multitudinousness, and this error
is neither a reality nor an unreality. Thus, Mahamati, this error being discriminated by the
wise turns into Tathata (suchness) with them, by virtue of a revulsion which takes place in
them concerning the Citta, Manas, Manovijnana, false reasoning, habit-energy, the [three]
Svabhavas, and the [five] Dharmas. Thus, Mahamati, there is this statement that Tathata is
Mind emancipated. Mahamati, the meaning of this statement is here thus clearly expressed by
me, that is, by the discarding of discrimination is meant the abandonment of all
discriminations. So much for this statement."

Comments

• I dont know what teh fuck he's talkin about its not in my language
  • edited February 2011
    but in most things just return to the basics to see what could be the probable error in this context here
  • In the following passage, the term "error" is used as well. Is this the error of wrong view? Or is it an error in reasoning? It's difficult to see clearly the meaning of these passages without ubnderstanding the subject of analysis.

Could it simply be a poor translation of the word being used? Anyone have a sanskrit version of the Lanka?
  • Is he speaking specifically of "sound is eternal" as an erroneous view?
  • I wouldn't get too caught up on it, it belongs to a period when "The Buddha had not yet revealed the truth" (Immeasurable Meanings Sutra).
    Studying the lesser Sutras is useful, but remember only in the Lotus did Shakyamuni reveal the truth.

"The World-Honored One has long expounded his doctrines and now must reveal the truth." - Lotus Sutra Ch 2

"Honestly discarding expedient means, I will preach only the unsurpassed way."
    - ibid

"For long he remained silent regarding the essential, in no hurry to speak of it at once." - ibid Ch 5

"Among all the rivers, streams, and other bodies of water, for example, the ocean is foremost. And this Lotus Sutra is likewise, being the most profound and greatest of the sutras preached by the Thus Come Ones."
    - ibid Ch 23

• ... I do not stand for attachment to doctrine. I am studying the Lankavatara at this time, and am looking for some helpful insight.

"I wouldn't get too caught up on it, it belongs to a period when "The Buddha had not yet revealed the truth" (Immeasurable Meanings Sutra).
    Studying the lesser Sutras is useful, but remember only in the Lotus did Shakyamuni reveal the truth."

^^^opinion and kind of demeaning
  • edited February 2011
    Look, when someone asks about the Lanka, you explain the Lanka. You don't jump to another topic.

Just like when someone asks where to get water, you don't talk about building a pipeline!

Would your teacher in school teach you about gerunds and other more advanced grammatical stuff when you are really trying to understand nouns and verbs?
  • Also, the Buddha wasnt alive when the Lotus Sutra was written (in fact about 700 years dead), and to call the Lanka a "lesser sutra" is extremeley offensive to the Chan and Zen schools that were founded upon it's contents.
  • Also, the Buddha wasnt alive when the Lotus Sutra was written (in fact about 700 years dead), and to call the Lanka a "lesser sutra" is extremeley offensive to the Chan and Zen schools that were founded upon it's contents.
    Many people use this arguement when faced with the truth of the Lotus Sutra. As long as schools refuse to accept the truth, they will never attain Buddhahood.

The Lotus itself states in Ch 23:

"Among all the rivers, streams, and other bodies of water, for example, the ocean is foremost. And this Lotus Sutra is likewise, being the most profound and greatest of the sutras preached by the Thus Come Ones."

This is proof that the Lotus surpasses the Lankavatara.

Ch 13 states:

"These men with evil in their hearts,
    constantly thinking of worldly affairs,
    will borrow the name of forest-dwelling monks
    and take delight in proclaiming our faults,
    saying things like this:
    "These monks are greedy
    for profit and support
    and therefore they preach non-Buddhist doctrines
    and fabricate their own scriptures
    to delude the people of the world."

Ch 10 states:

"Among the sutras I have preached, now preach, and will preach, this Lotus Sutra is the most difficult to believe and the most difficult to understand."

The Buddha did not reveal the truth until he spoke the Lotus Sutra, all other sutras are mere expediant means employed by Shakyamuni to prepare people for the One Vehicle of the Lotus Sutra.
  • Your ignorance leads to your cleaving of this doctrine. The lotus sutra in not truth. It is a finger pointing at the moon. I will happily read, study, and apply the teachings of the Lotus after finishing my first reading of the Lanka, but until then, I would rather stay on topic.
  • Your ignorance leads to your cleaving of this doctrine. The lotus sutra in not truth. It is a finger pointing at the moon. I will happily read, study, and apply the teachings of the Lotus after finishing my first reading of the Lanka, but until then, I would rather stay on topic.
    "Since hatred and jealousy toward this sutra abound even when the Thus Come One is in the world, how much more will this be so after his passing?"
    - Lotus Sutra Ch 10

'Finger pointing at the moon' is a Zen fabrication, like their 'seperate transmission' that has no basis in the Sutras.
  • You are a fool, and indeed suffering. My love goes out to you.
  • "All such words of arrogance and contempt
    we will endure and accept.
    In a muddied kalpa, in an evil age
    there will be many things to fear.
    Evil demons will take possession of others
    and through them curse, revile and heap shame on us.
    But we, reverently trusting in the Buddha,
    will put on the armor of perseverance.
    In order to preach this sutra
    we will bear these difficult things."

- Lotus Sutre Ch 13
  • When you guys have finished, I think I know what the meaning of the use of the term 'error' is in this passage. I think it's a bad translation though, so feel free to dig out the Sanskrit and I'll take a look at it. For now this passage seems to deal with the problem in Buddhist thought of the Buddhist teachings having been taught in the phenomenal world while that phenomenal world according to Buddhist teaching doesn't exist in the way it is conventionally understood, by those who are avidya. There are numerous explanations of this dichotomy and this one here is one of them. Hope that makes sense and I'm not wasting my time.
  • Thanks for the input Ncryptx.
    And thanks for staying on topic =P
  • I was simply quoting the Lotus, and making sure you and other members (mainly beginners) know the Buddha's golden words.
  • edited February 2011
    Beings' buddha enlightenment nature purely elaborated by Buddha Sakyamuni is so magnificent and amazing.
    Just ponder at the mirror below that provided the answer; discriminate and attach on the distance, size of vehicles, road, tree, lighting poll, road-sign etc. Then, in your free-will mind, look closely without discriminating and attach over those objects reflecting in the mirror, but just on that piece of mirror, flatly and sweetly in tune. Objects in the mirror are closer and lovely than they appear :rockon:

• The fact that you're quoting the Lotus makes you irrelevant. The OP is not asking about the Lotus. Like I said, your Math teacher wouldn't teach you advanced calculus when you're still trying to understand how to solve quadratic equations.
  • The fact that you're quoting the Lotus makes you irrelevant. The OP is not asking about the Lotus. Like I said, your Math teacher wouldn't teach you advanced calculus when you're still trying to understand how to solve quadratic equations.
    This is a fair point, however, I was pointing out that even if one masters and learns the entire Lankavatara Sutra, it still belongs to the period when the Buddha "had not yet revealed the truth". To use a Zen phrase, it may be seen as a 'finger pointing at the moon', the moon being the Lotus Sutra, because there is no Buddhahood seperate from the Lotus.
  • wow...just...wow

I still can't tell if he's a zealot or a troll.

• This is a fair point, however, I was pointing out that even if one masters and learns the entire Lankavatara Sutra, it still belongs to the period when the Buddha "had not yet revealed the truth". To use a Zen phrase, it may be seen as a 'finger pointing at the moon', the moon being the Lotus Sutra, because there is no Buddhahood seperate from the Lotus.
    Again irrelevant to the topic. Get on with it.
  • wow...just...wow

I still can't tell if he's a zealot or a troll.
    I'm neither, I am simply a Buddhist who follows Shakyamuni's teachings, and is trying to encourage others to do the same.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    The topic is the Saddharmapundarika Sutra, not the Lankavatara Sutra. Start another thread if you want to discuss the Lankavatara Sutra, Chogetsu.
  • The topic is the Saddharmapundarika Sutra, not the Lankavatara Sutra. Start another thread if you want to discuss the Lankavatara Sutra, Chogetsu.
    The title says Lankavatara Sutra though.

• 'Finger pointing at the moon' is a Zen fabrication, like their 'seperate transmission' that has no basis in the Sutras.
    To use a Zen phrase, it may be seen as a 'finger pointing at the moon', the moon being the Lotus Sutra, because there is no Buddhahood seperate from the Lotus.
  • Zen use that phrase to point away from the Lotus Sutra, I used it to point to the Lotus Sutra.
    edited February 2011
    The topic is the Saddharmapundarika Sutra, not the Lankavatara Sutra. Start another thread if you want to discuss the Lankavatara Sutra, Chogetsu.
    The title says Lankavatara Sutra though.
    Jesus, I'm an idiot. My bad. Just switch what I said around.
  • u almost made ur point Jason :p thanks for trying to rescue my thread tho lol
    edited February 2011
    u almost made ur point Jason :p thanks for trying to rescue my thread tho lol
    I should really take more time to read these threads more carefully. There's just so damn many of them, though. :p
  • I said my piece about the superiority of the Lotus, and I've defended why I said it.
    I have no desire to disrupt your thread, if someone wishes to quote me, or question something I've said, they can do so at the thread I started.

Namu-myoho-renge-kyo
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    I'm having a difficult time understanding what is meant by "error" in this passage. (106-108)

"At that time Mahamati the Bodhisattva-Mahasattva again said this to the Blessed One:
    Blessed One, where dost thou pronounce sound to be eternal?
    The Blessed One replied: According to error, Mahamati; since even to the wise there is this
    error, only that they are free from perversion...... "
    He's talking about non-understanding of shunyata. Eternalism in this specific case. He's refering to Arahats from the POV of the Mahayana when using the term "free from perversion" to indicate the removal of the veil of conflicting emotions which results in liberation. The second veil is still in place and therefore they are in "error". The second veil is the veil of conceptual distortion and is ultimately destroyed by realisation of shunyata. Removal of the second veil results in enlightenment.

Cheers, WK

• Thanks WhoKnows that makes sense