Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What Is Your Guys Favorite Suttas/Sutras?

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited February 2011 in Arts & Writings
What Is Your Guys Favorite Suttas/Sutras?

Comments

• The Lotus Sutra, because it is the only Sutra in which Shakyamuni revealed the truth of his enlightenment, and opened the door for us all to attain complete awakening.
  • chogetsu=troll
  • Why the aversion to the Buddha's golden words in the Lotus Sutra? Because it proves all other schools are mere expediant means employed by the Thus Come One?
  • lol...I hope you people don't really think he's serious
  • I am simply quoting the Thus Come One Shakyamuni. The sutra in which he taught the direct way to enlightenment is being cast aside, and people are clinging to their own ideas rather than Shakyamuni's golden words.
  • Well you're an infadel and therefore deserve death and eternity in hell!!! I know because Allah's true prophet told me so!!! DEATH TO THE NONBELIEVERS!!!
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I quite like the Karaniya Metta Sutta. Sometimes just reciting it to myself silently helps me with my anxiety:
    In gladness and in safety, May all beings be at ease. Whatever living beings there may be; Whether they are weak or strong, omitting none, The great or the mighty, medium, short or small, The seen and the unseen, Those living near and far away, Those born and to-be-born — May all beings be at ease! Let none deceive another, Or despise any being in any state. Let none through anger or ill-will Wish harm upon another. Even as a mother protects with her life Her child, her only child, So with a boundless heart Should one cherish all living beings; Radiating kindness over the entire world: Spreading upwards to the skies, And downwards to the depths; Outwards and unbounded,
  • Since there is not one exhortation to violence in the Lotus Sutra, the decent thing to do would be to apologize to Chogetsu.
  • Well you're an infadel and therefore deserve death and eternity in hell!!! I know because Allah's true prophet told me so!!! DEATH TO THE NONBELIEVERS!!!
    "Medicine King, now I say to you,
    I have preached various sutras,
    and among those sutras
    the Lotus is foremost!"

- Lotus Sutra Ch 10

• A recent favorite I found is

SN 7.2: Akkosa Sutta — Abuse

Rather than reading it, I heard it read aloud quite beautifully by Ayya Medhanandi. The mp3 is at this site:

http://www.suttareadings.net/audio/sn07.002.medh.mp3

I downloaded a bunch of readings and keep them on my iPod.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    lol...I hope you people don't really think he's serious
    Well, @Chogetsu is obviously a big fan of the Lotus Sutra. I'm guessing a Nichiren Buddhist since they believe the Lotus Sutra is the highest teachings of the Buddha.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Well you're an infadel and therefore deserve death and eternity in hell!!! I know because Allah's true prophet told me so!!! DEATH TO THE NONBELIEVERS!!!
    Looks like you're doing a fair amount of trolling yourself. Play nice you two.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran

A recent favorite I found is

SN 7.2: Akkosa Sutta — Abuse

Rather than reading it, I heard it read aloud quite beautifully by Ayya Medhanandi. The mp3 is at this site:

http://www.suttareadings.net/audio/sn07.002.medh.mp3

I downloaded a bunch of readings and keep them on my iPod.
    Wow!
    Thank you very much!:)
    Thank you everyone!:)
    I appreciate it!
  • I value them all equally, thank you very much. :) The Buddha taught that his teachings were just a raft, to be abandoned when one gets to the other shore. Therefore to become too attached to any of them is an act of clinging that goes against his teachings. Most people use them correctly as a pointer/tool, and find that the truth is experiential in nature and not contained in the words of any sutra.
  • I value them all equally, thank you very much. :) The Buddha taught that his teachings were just a raft, to be abandoned when one gets to the other shore. Therefore to become too attached to any of them is an act of clinging that goes against his teachings. Most people use them correctly as a pointer/tool, and find that the truth is experiential in nature and not contained in the words of any sutra.
    Between the Buddha's golden words and your personal opinion, I believe the former.

Thanks Cloud!
    You made a great point!
    Abandon them when we get to the other shore!:)
  • It seems you are all trying to jump out of the raft before you even reach any shore. If you believe the Sutras are the raft, then you should believe what they say.
  • MN 117: Maha-cattarisaka Sutta — The Great Forty

:)
    Between the Buddha's golden words and your personal opinion, I believe the former.

1. Cloud was referencing Buddha's words.

2. Is there no room for your own opinion?

It seems you are all trying to jump out of the raft before you even reach any shore. If you believe the Sutras are the raft, then you should believe what they say.
    And who is to decide when they reach the shore? You?
  • He did not say which text they are recorded in. And either way, they belong to the period when the Buddha had not yet revealed the truth.
    The sutras themselves make clear who is far from the other shore.
  • He did not say which text they are recorded in. And either way, they belong to the period when the Buddha had not yet revealed the truth.
    The sutras themselves make clear who is far from the other shore.
  • 1) Prajnaparamita Heart Sutra
    2) Prajnaparamita Diamond Sutra
    These two are my absolute favorite sutras and I love Thich Nhat Hanh's commentary on them. I have read other translations and I feel like his are the clearest and easiest to understand.

Here are a few more I really enjoy:
    3) Sanghata Sutra
    4) Sutra of Sublime Golden Light
    5) Lotus Sutra *

* NOTE: While I notice the Lotus Sutra being debated here, I wanted to include it because it does have some very powerful messages, such as the idea that all beings have Buddha-nature and have the capacity to become fully enlightened beings at some point in time.
    1) Prajnaparamita Heart Sutra
    2) Prajnaparamita Diamond Sutra
    These two are my absolute favorite sutras and I love Thich Nhat Hanh's commentary on them. I have read other translations and I feel like his are the clearest and easiest to understand.

Here are a few more I really enjoy:
    3) Sanghata Sutra
    4) Sutra of Sublime Golden Light
    5) Lotus Sutra *

* NOTE: While I notice the Lotus Sutra being debated here, I wanted to include it because it does have some very powerful messages, such as the idea that all beings have Buddha-nature and have the capacity to become fully enlightened beings at some point in time.
    Thank you very much!
  • * NOTE: While I notice the Lotus Sutra being debated here, I wanted to include it because it does have some very powerful messages, such as the idea that all beings have Buddha-nature and have the capacity to become fully enlightened beings at some point in time.

:)
  • :wave:

I hope others will share their favorites here as well!
  • The Sutra on 'The difficulty of repaying a mothers kindness' is very nice. And reminds us of the debt of gratitude we owe.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for the recommendation. I believe I had seen it mentioned on another website but had not read it. Here is a link I found that includes the entire sutra:
    THE SUTRA ABOUT THE DEEP KINDNESS OF PARENTS AND THE DIFFICULTY OF REPAYING IT
  • Very nice. Looking upon all beings as parents from previous existences helps us to develop compassion and loving kindness. Quite difficult to experience in practice, at least, for me.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    Ratnaguna Samcayagatha Sutra, only just found it a couple of weeks ago. I love it!

Cheers, WK