Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Egyptian Revolution

B5CB5C Veteran
edited February 2011 in Buddhism Today
What do you think of the revolution? I wanted this revolution to be peaceful, but I am afraid this may become an violent revolution. :(

Comments

• They always are :-/
  • I hope it comes to a peaceful resolution. It's hard to believe their president can't see that the people simply don't want him in power anymore; he won't give it up. They weren't asking for the other government officials to be replaced. Trying to save his own ass, but it's only getting worse because of it. Is he just really blind, or really infatuated with power, or does he think he's above it all and not subject whatsoever to what the actual population wants? He may think he's doing what's best for the people, but that's not very likely unless he's really blind.
  • I heard the army said they weren't gonna harm the citizens.
  • Good. At least the army's smart. :)
  • which suggests that they might be on the protestor's side
  • Probably. I mean the army takes orders, sure, but the army is made up of the people, and the people by and large are rising up. So I'm sure those in the army are equally sick of it.
  • edited February 2011
    right. This is an age those who have respected authority saying "fuck authority." Seriously. It has it's place, but those who understand do not appeal to authority. For those who don't understand, and despise truth, they need to learn the importance of authority. It's all balance.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2011
    I'm glad to see the Egyptian people finally taking political power into their hands. I even went to a rally supporting the protests in Egypt last Saturday. (That's my head to the right of the yellow sign in the upper-right corner in the picture attached below.)

The so-called president of Egypt, Hosni Mubarak, is little more than a tyrant who's been in power for the past 30 years and has given the Egyptian people next to nothing besides political oppression in all that time. The protesters themselves have been relatively peaceful, and it's mainly the pro-Mubarak forces that have instigated the violence when they attacked the protesters in Tahrir Square. My hope is that the army will side with the people and Mubarak gets a clue and steps down.
  • the army not supporting the president is the first good news in this revolution.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    This is a from a few hours ago:

The Pro-Democracy protesters almost lost the square to pro-Mubarak supporters.

Before that:

Pro-Mubarak forces charged the pro-democracy groups with horses and camels:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Pro-Mubarak supporters have been organised from within the Government. Hillary Clinton has contacted the VP and told him she urges him in the strongest way possible that he must hold all those responsible for starting the violence, accountable.
    Obama has told Mubarak to quit now.

They have spoken.
    Will Mubarak listen? :rolleyes:
  • Revolutions are always paid for in blood, money or both. Rarely, if ever, do they result in any improvement in the long run.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @ShiftPlusOne, Well, that's hard to swallow for Americans (cough). :D
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Scary...
    Will other countries/cities do the same thing?
    World War 3?
    All good questions to ask...
  • Change rarely happens without revolution.
  • This won't change anything. The patterns of thinking in the people are still the same. It may weaken the idea of democracy in the region, in the long run.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Mubarak needs to go, however who replaces him will determine whether it's all for naught
  • This is not the first Egyptian 'revolution' but I suppose that few here will be old enough to remember King Farouk being replaced by Gamal Nasser and the end-result of that.
  • Mainly due to eating meat, sacrifice and cruelty to animals. Protest that causes harm seemed a preference meant for male :p
  • I think this its a bigger issue than just Egypt. Maybe we are all under the control of so called democrats who are really power hungry egotistical con artists.
    I've explored Bhuddha's teachings for answers but is there any? Has it all gone too far?

In the UK we are governed by a bunch op people, mainly from quite a monied class, who have gone to fee paying schools, then straight to Uni to do politics, economics and so on....then into political parties. With this limited perspective, they are then constrained further by people like Rupert Murdoch at News International.

Meanwhile, the average JoBlo like myself either becomes disillusioned by politics and doesn't vote....after all my views and Buddha's teachings probably are pretty far removed from mainstream politics or the majority don't really care and are too pre-occupied with money, possessions and deep suffering. The gap between "haves and have nots" becomes greater as does the power of the political classes.

I want to rise up in revolution, just like the Egyptian people.....but alas...this will not happen as the majority are against it...and historically us Brits don't do these things anyway.

• @Spock,

I couldn't disagree with you more on a couple of points, although you are right that the current emphasis on possessions and celebrity impede reform.

First of all, when someone refuses to engage with the political process, how can they complain? To quote the motto of the underhand taxation of the poor (the Lotto), you have to be in it to win it. If you really believe that the situation and/or the system is unsatisfactory (and would agree with you), we need to be out there speaking up. It would be easy for me, after some five decades of demonstrating and activism, to despair but I don't because my understanding of the Dharma is that we can and do create the conditions for improvement by skillful action rather than by nihilistic inactivity.

Secondly, we in Britain have given the world examples of social transformation time and again. We were the first to engage in a genuine republican revolution resulting in a constitution that enshrines freedom from monarchical tyranny. We abolished the slave trade and, ultimately, outlawed slavery. We provided the philosophical underpinning of modern politics of liberty. We may not have stopped the unlawful Blair wars but a million of us turned out on the streets and compelled Parliament to remove the 'royal privilege' from the Prime Minister alone.

There is an enormous amount of evidence in our history that, alongside the crimes of empire, we have engaged in progressive policies which move us - slowly I admit - towards a juster and more peaceful society. That from time to time we are subjected to rule by oligarchs as today only serve to remind us that the battle is never finally won - as the Dharma teaches us. It does not, however, teach that we should abandon the struggle.

• @Simon

Excellent points, well made :)

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    I want to rise up in revolution, just like the Egyptian people.....but alas...this will not happen as the majority are against it...and historically us Brits don't do these things anyway.
    Well, there was the Revolution of 1640-60 and the Revolution of 1688.
  • I can't stop watching footage and more and more news about this... I am really worried they are removing cameras/reporters so that gov't can do a mass killing Tienemen square style.

I'm thinking positive and peaceful thots for the whole country of Egypt.