Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

yoga chanting confusion + Om Mani Padme Hum!

edited February 2011 in Meditation
Hi,

I have had a random thought out of the blue and thought, I have been doing pranayama yoga for a few months now and found a huge health benefits and the teacher has merged meditation into it too so im pleased with that. However he also does some chanting like the OM SHANTI and then a few in my class this morning i actually listened to what he was saying and although I dont understand what he is saying I dont join in.

Does chanting in the yoga class contradict buddhism? Does both hinduism and buddhism both contain chanting? I was being shown a Mantra meditation in a store class (its as a free one - im looking for a meditation class) London last weekend and it contained chanting 'Om Mani Padme Hum' 108 times. Where does chanting mantra's fall into the scope of buddhism?

LL

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Tibetan Buddhism has many mantras, the most famous one is the one you quote.
    Om Mani Pedme Hung can simplistically be translated as "The Jewel is in the Lotus".
    many other mantras exist, and are the norm.
  • Both modern Hinduism and Buddhism arose out of the same religion of Vedic Brahmanism. So there are an awful lot of similarities between them, including the mantras used in chanting.

The Buddha, before he was Buddha, practised in a very similar way to modern Hindu yogis, but he found it didn't take him far enough. He had some wonderful experiences of bliss, but when he got up from meditating, he was still in the same illusory reality. It didn't solve the problem of suffering for good, as he hoped.

So in effect, he took Hinduism further, rising above the idea of the "atman", the "Self" (or soul), which he realised was also an illusion. In this way he learned to rise above suffering entirely.

Many Hindu yoga practices could be considered "skillful practices" in Buddhism, including the chanting you mention. Just avoid getting caught up in the idea that you have an essential self, a soul which you need to preserve. That too is an illusion.
  • Buddhism chanting like Om Mani Padme Hum or Amitabha name etc is basically beings pure nature of emptiness and vows of liberation that is encapsulated succinctly. It is a skillful and compassionate method from Buddha to liberate living beings because the observation of it is so much simple and convenient.
  • Tibetan Buddhism has many mantras, the most famous one is the one you quote.
    Om Mani Pedme Hung can simplistically be translated as "The Jewel is in the Lotus".
    many other mantras exist, and are the norm.
    I heard it translates into "The lotus emerging from the mud" and you think about that meaning while chanting that mantra, think about the lotus emerging from the mud and improving yourself to be like that lotus.