Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The 4NTs for Kids

thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
edited February 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Hi

I have been trying to teach my kids Dharma since before their alphabet and now they are getting more insto the ideas, trying to understand it properly as they can.

One think its hard for them to grasp is the most important thing, ie the Four Noble Truths. This week though i think I got somewhere with the following simplified version.

(They understand Dukka and Tanha pretty well)

1) Life Contains Dukka
2) Dukka depends on Tanha
3) If Tanha Stops then Dukka stops.
4) The Middle Path stops Tanha

They know the middle path as the practice of clearness, truthfulness, kindness, friendliness and mindfulness....

So there you go. Any improvements very welcome:)

namaste

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    1) Life sucks 2) because we want things to be different than how they are.
    3) We'll stop wanting so much and having a sucky time 4) if we are good to others and not selfish.

Kinda cuts the Noble Eightfold Path down, but I made it for little kids. :)
  • ur funny cloud, i like that
  • There's a primary and secondary school section at Buddhanet:

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhism/index.htm

a kids page:
    http://www.buddhanet.net/mag_kids.htm

and also e-books for children somewhere on the site

• why would you use complicated foreign words for a simplified kids version?
  • 1) Life sucks 2) because we want things to be different than how they are.
    3) We'll stop wanting so much and having a sucky time 4) if we are good to others and not selfish.

My son is starting to get it more now at 8 .... with both my children I have thought that the best approach is wait until they ask and lead by example ... I do agree that mindfulness would be a good topic for teaching upper primary children in school, maybe in same way critical thinking is introduced here in Australia ( de Bono's thinking hats ).

The other day he said to me that the reason why people want lots of money is because they think it will make them happy, isn't it mum? We got into a big discussion about it from there ... great stuff, one of the reasons I love being a mother

:)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran

Beautiful!:)
  • edited February 2011

why would you use complicated foreign words for a simplified kids version?
    Great, Cloud! And: I'm with you, Journey. Also, I wouldn't underestimate 8-yr. olds. I think they can handle the real deal.

• 1) Life sucks 2) because we want things to be different than how they are.

My daughter's going to love this!

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I'm stunned. I was half-joking with that simplified version. First thing that popped into my head. I'm glad some people like it. :)
  • why would you use complicated foreign words for a simplified kids version?
    I think many kids get Dukka and Tanha, the terms are more "deep" than complicated. The hard part is the relationship between the truths, at least that's how I see it.

I don't think Dukka is that "life sucks" at all. Life is rare and wonderful and so very short and special. That to me is an essential part of Dharma, no Dukka without Sukka.

Anyways....

• edited February 2011

I don't think Dukka is that "life sucks" at all. Life is rare and wonderful and so very short and special. That to me is an essential part of Dharma, no Dukka without Sukka.

Life is just life - its our attitude towards it that causes problems and disappointments.

• I don't think Dukka is that "life sucks" at all. Life is rare and wonderful and so very short and special. That to me is an essential part of Dharma, no Dukka without Sukka.

Life is just life - its our attitude towards it that causes problems and disappointments.

I think that Life has value that nonlife does not. The value is emergent and clearly taught by the buddha in the path between nhilism and myticism. But I agree that in terms of dukka/sukka it's all about our attitude(and understanding)

• Maybe the doctor simile might help as well. If all else fails, make up a car analogy.
  • Life is uncertain.
    We get scared: hide, crave, and get angry
    Its not that bad when we face our fear
    Its a gradual path of action, peace, and wisdom (and love)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited February 2011
    the first noble truth is about selfishness or self-obsession

the first noble truth is the diagnosis of suffering, which the buddha said, "in short", is attachment, selfishness, possessiveness or appropriation

• the first noble truth is about selfishness or self-obsession

the first noble truth is the diagnosis of suffering, which the buddha said, "in short", is attachment, selfishness, possessiveness or appropriation

I see the The first noble truth as being about the experience conditioned by
    the Three Marks, the second noble truth is the diagnosis; the illness is interdependently determined by attachment, which depends on ignorance.

Its kinda funny how we all seem to have such different takes on these most foundational of dharmic principles!:)

• I can see it both ways. If there's no thought of self/other, there's no duality, and so Anicca-Dukkha-Anatta are simply the way. I think one first understands Anicca-Dukkha-Anatta, overcomes the delusion of self-view and then works toward the full eradication of the fetters which give rise to dualistic thinking. So... depends on your perspective.
  • If there is no self cherishing then uncertainty doesn't have a reference point. And fears dissolve.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I see the The first noble truth as being about the experience conditioned by the Three Marks...
    hi

the three marks can be inferred in the first noble truth but, imo, this was not the intention nor is it the essence

for me, the first truth defines "what is psychological suffering?" and the answer is "upadana"

if we ask an unenlightened ordinary person: "What is suffering?", they will provide us with answers such as "giving birth to children", "aging", "sickness", "death", "sorrow", "lamentation", "pain", "separation from the loved", "not getting what one wants", etc

some ordinary unenlightened people, who are fed up & dissillusioned, will reply: "life is suffering"; "having to live, work, put up with the complexities of the world is suffering"

but an unenlightened ordinary person will not know the essence, namely, attachment

buddha said: "in summation, all suffering is upadana (attachment)"

when the mind is fretting about and spinning in obsessions about "I", "me" and "mine", the 1st noble truth advises us this is suffering

the 2nd truth simply advises craving underlies the attachment

dependent origination goes further & advises ignorance underlies the craving & attachment

with metta