Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Personal Image Discrimination

edited February 2011 in General Banter
Hi guys - i work in a sales environment where my job entails face-to-face customer engagement. as a rule i do not wear make-up but I do dress in collar shirts and pants and occassionally business suits.

today i had a meeting with my manager and he said that I should start wearing make-up and consider wearing a skirt once in a while as this will improve my customers' response to me.

How would you approach this situation? I feel really taken aback by his comments.

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Don't worry about your manager so much as what you want to do. He could be being sexist, or he could be being realistic. It's true that customers react to the visual appearance of sales men and women, and so makeup and a skirt would in effect draw more customers to you. That's really your decision whether you want to make yourself more attractive or not for your job to get more customers though.

As far as your job's concerned, your manager can't really make you wear make-up and skirts; you could sue him for sexual harassment.

As far as reality's concerned, it's true what the effect would likely be. That's why women wear makeup and stuff in the first place after all. :)

Do what you feel is both right and comfortable for you!
  • edited February 2011
    I take it you're not one of the salespeople. If you were, then the mgr's suggestion may (or probably would) make a difference in sales, and therefore the company's earnings. If you're working at a desk but come out to greet customers and interact with them, I don't think it would make much of a difference, but your mgr. obviously feels it would. Sort of sad that this sort of thing is still going on, that this is the world we live in. If I were you, I'd call the ACLU and talk to someone in detail to find out if this is a reasonable request or not, what are the legal ramifications, can the boss require you to start dressing differently, etc. Then start a file; keep notes (whether you alter your clothing style or not) on what your supervisor says day to day, in case any problems arise that could wind up in court. The ACLU will give you good legal advice free. Good luck. Keep us posted, please.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited February 2011
    There are no legal ramifications in the US. The First Amendment does not apply to private corporations (period). You can be fired for just about any reason, including the way you dress, and there's not a thing you can do about it. This applies to many other things (sadly) like sexual orientation, or if your boss happens not to like people with brown eyes. Perfectly legal. Stupid, but legal.

• Check with your Human REsources dept. about that. There are sexual discrimination laws that could cover it. And again. the ACLU would have any up-to-the-minute info, and could advise you on what type of complaint would be best (1st Amendment wouldn't have occurred to me. But they'll be able to assess the situation and advise you accordingly.) Corporations have been sued for sex discrimination (famously, Wal-Mart).

• Are you offended by what he said? Why?
  • It can be a shock for some women who believe that behaving professionally, dressing professionally (in pants), doing a good job and being on top of their game /isn't/ enough. To suddenly be told by a higher-up to "girl-up" for the customers can be disconcerting, at least.
  • edited February 2011
    We should keep in mind that there are plenty of expectations about what men are supposed to dress and look like, as well. Both genders suffer from gender-role typing.

I guess I'm kinda cynical and believe people should be thinking, "Of course image matters," especially in sales.
  • edited February 2011
    I remember the days when men working on the sales floor of high-end department stores had to wear make-up! It looked pretty weird. But rainbowwarrior's job isn't in sales, it sounds like some sort of admin job that brings her in contact with customers. (RW--could you tell us a little more about the nature of your job?)
    So, I think you have a point, buddhajunkie, but it depends to some extent on the nature of the job. We'll see what R-Warrior has to say about all this. I could maybe see requiring her to wear make-up which, I hear, it pretty common for high-profile jobs, but a skirt? Well, we'll see.
  • Hi guys - i work in a sales environment where my job entails face-to-face customer engagement. as a rule i do not wear make-up but I do dress in collar shirts and pants and occassionally business suits.

today i had a meeting with my manager and he said that I should start wearing make-up and consider wearing a skirt once in a while as this will improve my customers' response to me.

How would you approach this situation? I feel really taken aback by his comments.
    Hi RBW, I don't have much to go on and I don't know your manager, so it's hard to judge his intention. Are you out on the sales floor or are you behind a counter or desk? How do the other women dress and do they wear makeup? Is there a mix of male female workers?

A private business, like others have said, can impose a dress code. They can cultivate an image. These are superficial things. It's too bad that we, as a society, are swayed by appearances, but it is a reality.

If you like your job, would it hurt to meet him half way? Would it make you that uncomfortable? Did he say anything in front of others? Is he otherwise respectful towards you?

I don't mean to put you on the spot, but I've worked in an environment that did harass people for many reasons. Some of the most obnoxious ones were religious.

I guess you just have to pick your battles. Maybe it would help to examine your feelings and try to see if there's more to this than a critique from your boss. Did this hurt your feelings, offend you or make you angry?

I wish that I could be more helpful. I hope that it all works out for you.
  • I didn't mean to offend anyone. I'm just saying that in America, if your employer doesn't like the way you dress - for whatever reason - they can fire you for it. It's very hard (read: impossible) to prove that something like that is sex discrimination. The employer can claim there is a dress code that someone didn't adhere to. And there's no law that says an employer can't mandate women to wear dresses (or tutus or combat boots). It's a sad state of affairs, but that's the way the law works. Most people don't realize the First Amendment only (sometimes) protects us from our government, not from each other.
  • I guess you're right, Mts. But the thing is that in Rainbow-W's case, the "dress code" standard apparently wasn't articulated to her when she was hired, it's only come up now, after she's been on the job awhile, hence the surprise on her part, I gather. And it would only be actionable if ALL women in the business, or perhaps all those who come in contact with customers, were required to wear dresses/skirts, right? Thanks for the input and clarification.
  • My boss told me I had to start wearing make-up and skirts too! Imagine my shock, being a guy and all!
  • Wear a kilt, Journey.
  • if this were required of me it would be problematic, as I am unable to wear almost all makeup due to it being irritating/allergenic to me. my eyes itch and water, and I look worse than I did without it.

you could claim an allergy if they want to make up a dress code after the fact and just for you .... ;)
  • hi guys - thank you for all the input.

first of all i live in South Africa - so I don't think I will be protected by American Law :-)

To clarify - my manager told me this when no one else was present.

All my customers are corporate businesses - hence I go to their premises for meetings etc.

@Buddhajunkie - in the moment that he said it - i could feel all the blood rushing into my feet. but i handled it well - i said I would meet him half way and start wearing make up.

@Kayte - there is a mix of male of female in our office. but i am one of 2 females who actually go out of the office to meet with potential customers. i wasn't offended or angry - i was just taken aback. perhaps because it has never been an issue in any of my other jobs - and I have always been in the same role.

I don't mind meeting them half way - but it would be going against my personal beliefs. Since meeting my teacher, I stopped wearing makeup, nail polish, colouring my hair etc. etc. And it was really just a way for me to apply the teachings to my daily life.

@TheJourney - hahaha
  • Tell him you ARE wearing make up. Diffuse the situation/
  • hi guys - thank you for all the input.

first of all i live in South Africa - so I don't think I will be protected by American Law :-)

To clarify - my manager told me this when no one else was present.

All my customers are corporate businesses - hence I go to their premises for meetings etc.

@Buddhajunkie - in the moment that he said it - i could feel all the blood rushing into my feet. but i handled it well - i said I would meet him half way and start wearing make up.

@Kayte - there is a mix of male of female in our office. but i am one of 2 females who actually go out of the office to meet with potential customers. i wasn't offended or angry - i was just taken aback. perhaps because it has never been an issue in any of my other jobs - and I have always been in the same role.

I don't mind meeting them half way - but it would be going against my personal beliefs. Since meeting my teacher, I stopped wearing makeup, nail polish, colouring my hair etc. etc. And it was really just a way for me to apply the teachings to my daily life.

@TheJourney - hahaha
    Ah, that explains a lot. First of all, I don't fault you for wanting to live/dress according to your beliefs. We have religious women who only wear long skirts/dresses, won't cut their hair, won't wear makeup or pluck their eyebrows.
    No one makes a big deal of it in the States, but they do stand out in a crowd.

Many women do feel the need to maintain as youthful an appearance as possible. This is a reflection of our culture not of individual worth.

If your company feels pressured from the competition, then they'll want everyone to put forth the best impression for the company. I don't want to be to forward, but maybe you could accommodate them on the details that are removable. Makeup and clothes can be viewed as your work uniform, not a personal vanity. You don't have to go for dramatic makeup, just a nice polished look. This way, you can keep harmony in your work relationship and still be true to yourself. I don't know your age -and I'm not asking!!- so I don't know if you're covering gray hair. So many woman are afraid of their gray. I stopped coloring mine and I get so many compliments on my hair now. It looks much healthier natural, than it did when it was dull and mousey colored from hair dye.

I hope that you can come to an acceptable compromise. Good Luck.

:)