Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha vs Christ

ThaoThao Veteran
edited February 2011 in Faith & Religion
I have read a few books on comparing Buddha with Christ, but there are some things that I don't ever recall being mentioned.

These two seem to be to represent a man unlike Buddha:http://atheism.about.com/od/biblegospelofmark/a/mark11c.htm

"After cursing the fig tree, Jesus and his disciples reenter Jerusalem and proceed to the Temple where “moneychangers” and those selling sacrificial animals are doing a lively business. Mark reports that this infuriates Jesus who overturns the tables and chastises them. This is the most violent we have seen Jesus yet and is quite uncharacteristic of him thus far — but then again, so was cursing the fig tree."

My questions are this:

Do you think Jesus really did these two things?
Would Buddha have done these things?
Was Jesus still working on equanimity? on loving kindness?

http://www.christianity-revealed.com/cr/files/jesuscleansingthetemple.html

But then the above website questions whether Jesus could have even done such a thing, which seems more reasonable to me.

Comments

• There is some stuff on wiki about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleansing_of_the_Temple
    But i dont think if it happend it was as dramatic as your quote. Idk. My fater-in-law is a Christian Ordained Minister, and he was talking to me about this. Said that it was somewhat a miracle, because those tables were soo heavey. Back in those times they were made of marble or some other superheavy stone. It is a really interesting story though. I think it happend three times. And the market leaders plotted to assassinate him, but everyone was so awwed by jesus that they could not find anyone that would do it.
  • edited February 2011
    AFAIK, Unlike Buddhism there's no unbroken and recorded lineage in Christianity. "What happened" comes in fits and starts over different times and places. Therefore, unless you can go into denial, you can't have a comfortable amount of certainty about "what happened" with Christianity. Unfortunately.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited February 2011
    The first Gospel written, Mark, has Jesus "begin to drive out" the moneychangers and turning over a table and seat. The second Gospel written, Matthew, which copied heavily from Mark, says Jesus "drove out all who bought and sold" and turn over tables and chairs. Luke is silent on the subject. John, the last Gospel and who had the earlier ones in front of him, says Jesus fashioned a whip and drove out all the people and the cattle and sheep penned up for sacrifice and poured out the bags of coins the moneychangers had and so forth. All this when dozens of temple guards stood there and Roman guards looked down on the crowd with orders to quicky stop any disturbance.

It got a little embellished in the retelling. Who knows what actually happened? It might have just been Jesus and one of the moneychanges getting in a shouting match. By the time the Gospels were written, the legend had taken on a life of its own.

As for the fig tree, two Gospels have him curse a fig tree for not having figs when it wasn't even that time of the year, while a third has him tell a parable about a farmer cutting down a fig tree that refuses to bear fruit. The fig tree is supposed to be a metaphor for the Jewish people not embracing Jesus as their messiah. Again, by the time the Gospels were written, the temple had been destroyed and the Jews marched off to captivity. Anti-semitism was already on the rise.

I just loved my college courses of "the Bible as literature"

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Jesus was drunk and he threw a drink in someone's face? Fig wine?
  • My own consensuses is that it could not have happened if Jesus were truly a Bodhisattva, a teacher of love and compassion. He would have to have had a lot of adrenaline going in the form of anger in order to turn over the table.

I can understand the fig tree being a metaphor. Cinorjer, that is nice that you studied religion as literature in college.

It seems to go against everything else he taught or maybe if i read the gospels again i would change my mind.
  • I think its possible that Jesus may have come in contact with the teachings of the Buddha, but personally I've never felt a need to try to compare the two men because they lived in very different societies with very different religious backgrounds and beliefs.
  • edited February 2011
    Who said Jesus was a bodhisattva? He was a rabbi and a healer. There is no category "bodhisattva" in Judaism. It's said that after he went East, he was regarded as a wise man and a spiritual teacher. I'm not aware that anyone regarded him as a bodhisattva. And how do we know that overturning tables wasn't his version of "skillful means"? Lamas are sometimes abusive, and they conceptualize it as skillful means.
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    edited February 2011
    "Buddhist views of Jesus differ, since Jesus is not mentioned in any Buddhist text. Some Buddhists, including Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama[60] regard Jesus as a bodhisattva who dedicated his life to the welfare of human beings."

"In 1918, in his History of Religions, Professor E. Washburn Hopkins of Yale goes so far as to say, "Finally, the life, temptation, miracles, parables, and even the disciples of Jesus have been derived directly from Buddhism.""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_Christianity
  • A bodhisattva is not someone who has studied buddhism necessarily. Or I have understood. Buddhism is one systematic way to gain realizations. But the realizations stand on their own without the system (or pointer) of buddhist teachings.

You don't need to know how to read even to be a bodhisattva (I believe).
  • Bodhisattva is sometimes used synonymously for "saint", someone who dedicates their lives to the betterment of others' lives and the human species as a whole. This is kinda a secondary definition (or perhaps tertiary, as the Mahayana definition and Theravada definitions already differ for the word).
  • How do they differ? I'm not sure how the boddhisattva business works in the different schools. In Vajrayana, those who take the Bodhisattva Vow are considered Boddhisattvas. But does that mean any of us could be designated a Bodhisattva, by doing whatever required preliminary practices there are, then taking the vow?

Thank you, Thao--sounds like a fascinating book.
    This is kinda a secondary definition (or perhaps tertiary, as the Mahayana definition and Theravada definitions already differ for the word).
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @compassionate_warrior, I'll try to explain to the best of my knowledge, but keep in mind this is my opinion and not everyone understands things in this particular way...

In Theravada, Bodhisattva isn't the goal but something that the "Buddha to be" is called, and because only one Buddha arises in a Buddha-era at a time, there's really only one true Bodhisattva; the one who will become that Buddha.

In Mahayana, Bodhisattva isn't just the goal of working for the betterment of others' lives and the human species as a whole, but to return rebirth after rebirth and become the next Buddha. In this way there are countless Bodhisattvas at a time, all desiring to be a full-fledged Buddha.

The definitions of Nirvana (or is it Enlightenment?) in both schools also differ, where the Mahayana do not believe the Arahant has eradicated delusion and that only a full-fledged Buddha is truly free. And so in Theravada, freedom comes in this life at the fourth stage of enlightenment. For Mahayana, it can never truly come until one becomes a full-fledged Buddha that arises in the world when there are no teachings of the true Dharma.

There are a lot of confusions between the schools because the definitions are all different and they believe different things. This is why no one ever gets anywhere in debates. :) The systems themselves vary and so true agreement can never be found in this regard.

IMHO conditions are conditions. Desires are desires. When we look at the world with clarity, there is much less confusion about what we should be doing right now.
  • Interesting posts on what a Bodhisattva is. But would one who has obtained enlightenment actually walk into a temple and knock over a table and chair and yell at the money changers? I can't see Buddha doing this. It was my belief that even when arguments broke out in his own sangha that he walked away and came back much later. Buddha had equanimity, and so I am wondering what this says about Jesus, only I don't believe that Jesus did it because he was a man of peace, but being unsure I thought I would ask others.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Um...I dunno....why not?
    An enlightened person may well feel anger arising, but perhaps would channel it constructively then let it go.
    That's the difference betweeen an enlightened person and an unenlightened one. An unenlightened person would stew and simmer over the cause of anger. They wouldn't be able to let it go, for a while (either short or long.....)
    An Enlightened person would recognise it, rise above it, be with it but not of it....they might manifest irritation, impatience, anger....but it would pass in the uttering of the word....

Oh, and I don't consider Jesus (if he even existed at all) to have been enlightened.
  • Interesting Federica. Why would you say that Jesus wasn't enlightened?

I just learned that his disciples carried swords, and one of them cut the ear off a soldier. Why would a man of peace allow his disciples, even one of them, to carry a sword?

Now I know that the gospels are full of quotes that were said first by Buddha, but I am beginning to think that we have two stories going here: 1. quotes by Buddha and 2. another Jesus altogether.
  • Also bear in mind that Jesus may have been fully in control when he knocked over tables. He was probably aiming for a certain reaction. Skillful means. Lamas in Vajrayana do all kinds of things to convey the teaching/message they want, whether bodhisattvas or "crazy yogis", or not.
  • Also bear in mind that Jesus may have been fully in control when he knocked over tables. He was probably aiming for a certain reaction. Skillful means. Lamas in Vajrayana do all kinds of things to convey the teaching/message they want, whether bodhisattvas or "crazy yogis", or not.
    I

I just learned that his disciples carried swords, .
    Tibetan warrior monks carry knives or swords. A custom from the times when monasteries sometimes went to battle against each other, hundreds of years ago.

• edited February 2011

I just learned that his disciples carried swords, .
    Tibetan warrior monks carry knives or swords. A custom from the times when monasteries sometimes went to battle against each other, hundreds of years ago.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Interesting Federica. Why would you say that Jesus wasn't enlightened?
    because I don't believe he was. There is some dispute as to whether the man (as an entity) existed at all, first of all, and secondly it doesn't seem to me that a man reliant on some super higher power has got this 'transcendence of all things' off to a very good result. If he were enlightened,. God wouldn't figure.
    I just learned that his disciples carried swords, and one of them cut the ear off a soldier. Why would a man of peace allow his disciples, even one of them, to carry a sword?
    especially an enlightened man of peace.....
    Now I know that the gospels are full of quotes that were said first by Buddha, but I am beginning to think that we have two stories going here: 1. quotes by Buddha and 2. another Jesus altogether.
    It matters little, I guess whether either actually existed as we have been told they exist. What matters is the message we can take away from it all, and use it to make our lives more constructive, happy and free from suffering.

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited February 2011
    My questions are this:

Do you think Jesus really did these two things?
    Would Buddha have done these things?
    Was Jesus still working on equanimity? on loving kindness?
    Yes

No

Jesus had equinimity & loving kindness but the ambition of Jesus was to reform & change the Jewish religion. He failed in his ambition & his disciples fled to Europe and evangelised the new religion there in various forms.

Whereas the Buddha did not seek to reform & change the existing Indian religions, especially Brahminism. Buddha simply started his new religion in a manner to harmoniously co-exist with other religions.

:)
  • It is unhelpful to consider the story of the cleansing of the Temple in isolation. The Gospels need to be understood quite differently from the sutras. In order to get a handle on the expulsion of the traders, we need to examine all the references to the Temple, including the dialogue between Jesus and the unnamed woman at the well in John. The evangelist makes it clear that, when Jesus speaks about the destruction and rebuilding of the Temple, he is speaking about his Resurrection - the central plank of Christian faith.

Thus, Jesus' clearing the Temple of traders is about what we should do to rid our own selves of the desire for trade and profit: yet another lesson against the market-minded, profit-dominated 'mundane' mind. We should be a "house of prayer".

@Fede: You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, even if the historical record is quite as convincing, or unconvincing, as the legends of your mate Gotama.

• ThaoThao Veteran
    edited February 2011
    {Thus, Jesus' clearing the Temple of traders is about what we should do to rid our own selves of the desire for trade and profit: yet another lesson against the market-minded, profit-dominated 'mundane' mind. We should be a "house of prayer". }

Also he said that the temple was our body. So I looked it up and foudn this: http://www.ccel.org/contrib/exec_outlines/matt/mt21_12.htm Someone else has brought up the body being your temple and included this passage about cleansing the temple.

So Simon your quote makes a lot of sense. Perhaps this was just a story for us to learn a lesson. But I hear it used by a Christian to put down a lot of religions, which is why I became interested in the subject.

Federica: I have wondered if Jesus used to word "God" because the people he was talking with believed in God. I often wonder if Jesus existed too and that someone didn't just use Buddha's teachings to create him.

Federica: I have wondered if Jesus used to word "God" because the people he was talking with believed in God. I often wonder if he existed too and that someone didn't just use Buddha's teachings to create him.

In the same way as Gotama used the prevailing superstitions about Mara, rebirth, etc., to teach. It is called "contextualisation" or teaching from where the listener is.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @Thao, Whether Jesus believed in God or not personally will always be a mystery, just as whether or not he learned Buddhism where there's a gap in the Bible between his childhood and adulthood/preaching. What can't be denied though is that he took a rather harsh religion and transformed it into a vehicle of compassion, rather than judgment and wrath. The earlier elements are still a part of it, but by and large Christianity is about love.
  • @Cloud, Precisely. There are plenty of legends about Jesus' childhood, including "Infancy gospels" and local legends such as the Glastonbury story. They make good reading but teach us little. In the same way there are legends/myths about the Buddha or George Washington. That's just the way human beings develop stories to fill gaps.

What puzzles me is why we seem to get so many threads in which some people can vent their spleen about Christianity on a Buddhist forum. If some choose to believe that there was no historical Jesus (or Jesuses), is this truly the place for such speculation?

Fortunately, we have some thinkers, like Fofoo and Jason, who understand that it is just as useful to compare the Buddha's teachings with those of other great philosopher mystics such as Plato, Aristotle, Spinoza or Schopenhauer.
  • Almost Cloud, but in Mahayana there are infinite buddhas in the tip of a hair. There need not be only 1 in the world.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I didn't mean in the way they mean enlightened, but the one Buddha known in a Buddha-era (per world system), i.e. in this era it's Siddhartha Gautama, and there are said to be Buddhas before him. Also said when all knowledge of the Dharma is lost in the world, a new Buddha will arise to discover the Dharma and teach it. That kind of Buddha. Not just someone free from the ten fetters.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    No there is infinite Buddhas in this world system. Shakyamuni is one Nirmanakaya emanation. You could say there is one buddha but it doesn't mean anything because there can be infinite nirmanakaya emanations.

The dharmakaya radiates. There is no high and low to how it radiates to. All beings are in the family of buddha (have a relationship to the mandala of awakening).
  • Maybe you're misunderstanding. I'm talking about the founder of the path, the one who discovered it, to our knowledge. Right now that's Siddhartha Gautama. I'm not attaching any supramundane meaning to "Buddha".
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Thats a nirmanakaya buddha. There are infinite in the world. No matter what world you go to buddha nature permeates space. Whether the dharma is taught in that world or not. That is why the samantabadracharya is a practice to be born in a world where the buddha teaches. Because it developes a great connection to the buddha. By the confidence.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    That's just complicating matters. I'm talking about the man that we recognize as the founder of Buddhism, that's all...
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Well you were speaking of the mahayana tradition. And I am explaining to you. There are infinite buddhas. In mahayana we are not trying to find out what shakyamuni 'really' said so that we will be right and have the truth. Instead we are finding the truth in the here and now. The nature of mind. That is why the guru is very emphasized as a union of the triple gem. Because they are pointing out the nature of mind by using the teachings and their example.

In other words shakayamuni is very special, but there is no idea that he is a different kind of buddha than others. Other than his place in history turning the wheel of dharma. He is sometimes called historical buddha. But strictly speaking he is a nirmanakaya buddha. Padmasambava is another.
  • It's not what I was talking about. :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Ok.

"For Mahayana, it can never truly come until one becomes a full-fledged Buddha that arises in the world when there are no teachings of the true Dharma."

This is false a bodhisattva may become a buddha in Shakyamunis world. eg. Padmasambava.
  • This idea of the boddhisattva working to save beings is correct. They are putting off peaceful nirvana. But peaceful nirvana is not the true attainment of a buddha. A buddha is liberated from both grasping and non-grasping. Grasping is seen as seen as of the same nature and grasping never was at all. (I think)

So a bodhisattva is not putting off becoming a buddha to save beings. In fact it is viewed as a quicker path to become a buddha. Because it destroys self cherishing to both have confidence in the nature of mind (awakened) and to regard other beings.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    An ordinary being is caught up in the idea that if only there wife or there job or whatever, they would be happy. A buddhist is caught up in the idea that if only they stopped grasping they would be happy.

Emptiness can be viewed as emptiness of skandas. That is one way. And no way is better or worse without a context of the individuals practice.

Emptiness can also be viewed as not taking these 'ideas' as substantial. In that way grasping and non-grasping are both obliterated.

The ego can be disempowered by reasoning. Reasoning how the nature of reality that you assume cannot be. And thus non-self. Another way is to notice that your assumptions are just fabricated thought. And notice the whole idea of a world you are struggling against is just a conjurers trick. I think both are practiced widely and they are very similar.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    This is just another confusion caused by the multiple usages of the word "Buddha". I didn't mean the way Mahayana uses the term to denote one who is liberated, i.e. their version of an Arahant. I certainly don't want to be a part of obfuscating the thread by arguing over what wasn't the intent or meaning of the post in the first place. Consider me out of this... :)
  • "For Mahayana, it can never truly come until one becomes a full-fledged Buddha that arises in the world when there are no teachings of the true Dharma."

The whole reason I posted was I disagreed with this :) But maybe I didn't understand what you meant? Anyhow it stirred some thoughts in me and it seemed exciting to me.
  • To return us to the subject of this thread rather than embroil ourselves in Buddhist pilpul worthy of Talmudic scholars, I cannot see any "versus" opposing Buddhist teachings and the Gospels. As Cloud points out, both aim us at liberation and compassion.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @Jeffrey, I'll part with this then. Most Mahayana Buddhists I know express that the ultimate form of compassion is to become a "full-fledged Buddha", meaning the one who discovers and teaches the Dharma to a world that is without this knowledge, and take the Bodhisattva path to mean being literally reborn an innumerable number of times until they become this full-fledged Buddha way off in the future.

They don't consider release from the ten fetters to be their goal, in fact many are fearful of such as taking them out of the round of rebirths and possibility of becoming a "full-fledged Buddha" as they desire. Some posit that even entering the stream is the worse thing that could happen to them, as it means they will become completely liberated in a few lifetimes and not have this chance (though this could simply be fear of losing the "self", which may never be overcome, meaning they have a deep self-centered aversion to enlightenment/awakening). Only some take this extreme/radical view, mind you.

Most Theravada Buddhists I know are of the opinion that the goal is release from the ten fetters and to help alleviate the suffering of others (including teaching the Dharma to help them awaken), in this very lifetime or as soon as possible. This is what they believe the Buddha taught, for the purpose of ceasing suffering as quickly as possible.

My views match neither of these exactly, since I see no birth or death in this world. Now these ways that practitioners have expressed of viewing their goals and what happens when they die may not be what their traditions teach, or perhaps are a lesser understanding. Regardless, this is their motivation and why they practice. It is that alone that I meant to express, as no matter what is in the texts it's real people that are following these teachings in the way which they understand them (mostly lay Buddhists are the ones I've interacted with).

These ways that practitioners view their teachings, their motivations whether altruistic or self-centered, explain conflicts and divisions amongst the schools and why for instance Mahayana thinks it's a greater path than Theravada... and Theravada thinks Mahayana is crazy (so to speak). I'm glad, fortunate IMHO, to not be attached to traditions, even if you think I'm wrong. :D

That's really all I care to say about that. It's expected that there would be disagreement with what I've said if the perspective/viewpoint is different from mine. And yet this is completely off-topic. My post was going off-topic to begin with, but was for the benefit of someone else, and now we're way off in the clouds talking about infinite emanations and the like... so now, I really am going to not reply to this stuff anymore. :) Later dude.

Namaste

• In the same way as Gotama used the prevailing superstitions about Mara, rebirth, etc., to teach. It is called "contextualisation" or teaching from where the listener is.

Thank you Simon.

@Thao, Whether Jesus believed in God or not personally will always be a mystery, just as whether or not he learned Buddhism where there's a gap in the Bible between his childhood and adulthood/preaching. What can't be denied though is that he took a rather harsh religion and transformed it into a vehicle of compassion, rather than judgment and wrath. The earlier elements are still a part of it, but by and large Christianity is about love.
    I believe that was what Jesus was trying to do, but the reason this came up in the first place is that I told a friend that I didn't like a certain novel because it was putting down certain Christian religions, and she came at me with, Not everyone is connected to God...and you have to be careful..." She used the temple cleansing to try to prove to me that most churches are wrong. And I told her that Christ was about love and compassion, and that I don't believe that he actually took a whip and overturned the tables, because that is an act of violence. But I also found myself going to her level to teach by saying, "We are all connected to God even if we don't believe it or appear to be to others." And then she quit emailing me, and that is more than fine with me, because our friendship has been a one way street.

And then I got to wondering why Buddhists say that Jesus and Buddha are alike, even though I myself know of a lot of passages are are like Buddha's, other Bible passages seem to conflict. There is even a book I ordered that says that Jesus taught the Eighfold path. "The Noble Eightfold Path of Christ." I remember when I first read a book about Buddha I was shocked and wondered why it sounded like Christ's life and sayings.

What puzzles me is why we seem to get so many threads in which some people can vent their spleen about Christianity on a Buddhist forum. If some choose to believe that there was no historical Jesus (or Jesuses), is this truly the place for such speculation?

It is good to make peace with Christianity, and so I do my best, but so far preaching to me can take away any peace that I have developed. But the more I learn about Christ and Buddha, the more I can accept Christianity, because I believe in accepting all faiths.

So when people bring up Christianity on these forums think of it as their trying to come to terms with their upbringing, and it will help you to understand them and what Christianity's hold has been on them.
  • @Thao,

Indeed. I would agree that this has been a place where quite a number have "come to terms with their upbringing", be it Christian, Muslim, capitalist, nationalist and so on. Having spent a few years here and having been privileged to correspond, by email, PM and IM, with some of these seekers, it has become clear that there is a number of conditions which empower this healing process.

Principal among them is what you describe: a respectful acceptance that, at heart, all faiths aim the same way, even if we learned different at the foot of the pulpit. We need to let go of our preconceptions about the beliefs we have left behind, just like the story of the two monks and the beautiful woman they helped across the stream. Holding on to aversion is one of the prime roots of our dukkha.

As Christianity has been the subject of much of my study, I admit that I find it uncongenial when I read some of the nonsense that comes from both fundamentalist 'churchians' and ranting anti-Christians. There are quite enough reasons to criticise the churches and the way in which the message has been transformed into a tool of social control without inventing 'facts'.
  • A bodhisattva is all things to all people. Including the guy that has to knock you on your ass to make you see what you're doing wrong.
  • Thanks Simon. Interesting name you chose. I am reading The Way of a Pilgrim now.

Interesting comment Journey. Very true.
  • edited February 2011
    I find it interesting that the angriest he got wasn't against prostitutes, homosexuals, homeless people, etc etc.

It was against people who were gaining personal profit off of spirituality.

Pat Rocks

Pat Rocks

The tree may have been some symbolic thing referencing the seed of the church. I'm not sure.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    MellowViper, brilliant point! Seriously, that really hit me. Jesus was very openly accepting of the sinners, most clearly demonstrated in the story of the adulterer. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." It is only the judgemental religious people he criticized. Well guess what? Many of jesus' followers are the new judgemental religious people! They're the new pharisees! Hahaha. When you put it like that, it's all so clear.
  • Mellowviper and MindGate, both of your posts were interesting observations.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Cloud,

I've never heard my teacher talk about the 10 fetters. Bodhicitta a part of the bodhisattva path is defined as cultivating the wish to become enlightened for all beings. Did the mahayanists you talked to follow a lineage or internet buddhists?

There can be many misconceptions. I know a lady who teaches a college level comparative religions course. She talked briefly to me about buddhism. When I said I was a mahayanist she said oh "big truck little truck thats how I always call it". So depending on where you hear things you get a different idea. The possibility also exists for differences WITHIN the mahayana tradition.

In fact the fetters is a different presentation of buddhism. I am not well understood enough to go outside my tradition and understand what the mahayana makes of fetters. It is probably a different method.

The heart sutra states that there is no attainment and no barrier to attainment. Since this is true the bodhissatva abides in perfect eqanimity. (something like that)

Usually when my teacher is asked by a student "how do I give up X negative behaviour?" She tells them not to set up two sides knocking themselves. One side agressive towards the other side for the behaviour. And the other side hurt and angry for the opression. Both sides thinking (ego). That just creates an additional disturbance. Instead she would say to just notice what is happening and that eventually you will vomit up the negative behaviour.

Oh, and I don't consider Jesus (if he even existed at all) to have been enlightened.
    If I had ever said something like this at tea with my grandmother, I would have been sent to my room until I apologised.

• edited February 2011
    Jesus existed. His tomb is in a shrine in Kashmir. An American researcher was about to take open the tomb and take DNA samples (she had everyone's permission--regional authorities, and all), when 9/11 happened, and that was the end of her research. The local muslims took over the shrine and haven't let anyone near it since. His mother, Mary, is buried not far from him in a town named after her: Meri. Part of Jesus' life in the East after he survived the crucifixion was detailed in a book in Hemis Monastery in Ladakh. It was found by George Roerich, a PhD in Oriental Languages from Harvard, back in the 1930's. He translated the book and sent an article back to his sponsors in the US, and the news made headlines. Copies of the newspaper articles on this can be read at the Roerich Museum in Manhattan.

He had gone East a) to save his life, obviously and b) in part to minister to the Jews in Kashmir, where Thomas was preaching.