Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is this true about Lotus Sutra???

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited February 2011 in Philosophy
When I stumbled upon a passage in the "Lotus Sutra" that a great Buddha named Medicine Buddha wants a burning human body as the most precious sacrifice offered to him.

The Lotus Sutra is one of the most important scriptures in Buddhism (not just Tibetan) and you cannot question its authority, because it's like questiong the authority of the Bible in Christianity.

I thought, can it be real? that a great Buddha wants a burning human body as most precious thing offered to him?

And after that, I watched in a documentary some Vietnamese monks practicing this, burning their body and disintegrate it in front of the Buddha that they believe.

From: http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1321202/pg3

Comments

• Apparently self-immolation is a Buddhist practice.
    I found this on Wikipidia on the page about Thích Quảng Đức

“Despite the shock of the Western public, the practice of Vietnamese monks self-immolating was not unprecedented. Instances of self-immolations in Vietnam had been recorded for centuries, usually carried out to honor Gautama Buddha. The most recently recorded case had been in North Vietnam in 1950. The French colonial authorities had tried to eradicate the practice after their conquest of Vietnam in the 19th century, but had not been totally successful. They did manage to prevent one monk from setting fire to himself in Hue in the 1920s, but he managed to starve himself to death instead. During the 1920s and 1930s, Saigon newspapers reported multiple instances of self-immolations by monks in a matter-of-fact style. The practice had also been seen in China: in the city of Harbin in 1948, a monk seated himself in the lotus position on a pile of sawdust and soybean oil and set fire to himself in protest against the treatment of Buddhism by the communists of Mao Zedong. His heart remained intact, as did that of Thích Quảng Đức.”

I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone, would you?

:eek:
  • edited February 2011
    It's really alarming that self immolation should have become associated with Buddhism through later teachings such as the Lotus Sutra.

It is completely contrary to the teachings of the historical Buddha to destroy oneself by fire and to inflict such horror on others.

• Hi, If you want to understand more about the Lotus Sutra, which I suggest is a very good idea - the following forum is currently undergoing a read through of each chapter with comments - this will give you more insight and is an excellent read.

http://ichinensanzen.org/forum/index.php?board=6.0

I must admit, when I first read the chapter where Buddha Sun Moon Brilliance wraps himself in perfumed oils before setting himself alight and burning brightly and universally illuminating worlds as fully numerous as the sands of eighty kotis of Ganges rivers - burning for 1,200 years - it seemed a little strange - But when you read and begin to understand even a little of the Sutra, - it is not. Firstly, do not see this in the same eyes you would view a human sacrifice, secondly it was a self offering by Buddha Sun Moon Brilliance, thirdly.... well best you read it for yourselves.

But remember it is to be seen in terms of an eternal Buddha, not your best mate from down the road!
    As for the Vietnamese comments - I don't know that this is connected to the Lotus Sutra?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @LeonBasin, Apparently the Lotus Sutra attracts the same type of blind belief in some instances as the Bible does. The whole thing with not being able to question it... lol, well that's against the Buddha's teachings right there. We have to be honest at some point that not everything out there came from the "historical" Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama.

I think his teachings have been "re-worked" several times over since his death, sometimes with the help of others who have reached enlightenment, perhaps sometimes by unenlightened minds. All credit given to the Buddha, of course, creating conflicts about authenticity and which path is correct. Sad in a way, useful in a way; depends on whether you get sucked into and stuck on one view to the exclusion of the possibility of all views.

IMHO whether teachings are from Siddhartha or another enlightened mind, they can teach us to see reality for what it is; after all, who says the particular way reality is expressed by Siddhartha was the only way it could be expressed, or the only method for seeing it? I have great faith in Siddhartha's teachings and methods, but to me he was just a human like the rest of us; anyone may be able to re-interpret reality with the same freedom from greed, hatred and delusion.

It's all in how your own mind works; what works for you. And still we should be mindful of these things and respect the beliefs of others as equally valid and with no greater authenticity or truth than our own, even if they are not our path. Some people are just selfish "jackasses" that make everyone else inferior to their way of practice and their beliefs, and that just isn't Buddhist behavior IMHO. :D

Whether a teaching is 100%, 75%, 50% in accord with reality... we can not truly know, unless we put it into practice for ourselves. So, practice!
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited February 2011
    The Lotus Sutra is one of the most important scriptures in Buddhism (not just Tibetan) and you cannot question its authority, because it's like questiong the authority of the Bible in Christianity.
    hi

i personally do not "question" its authority because, for me, it has no authority to begin with

single works that seek to embody the whole religion or teachings, such as the Lotus Sutra or the Vissudhimagga have little authority because they are merely works of literature

:D
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited February 2011
    "LeonBasin">>>The Lotus Sutra is one of the most important scriptures in Buddhism (not just Tibetan) and you cannot question its authority, because it's like questiong the authority of the Bible in Christianity.

If you follow the dharma you would question all authorities, Leon, that is the starting point.

And BTW, the Lotus Suttra is nearly a thousand years and over a thousand miles removed from the time of the Buddha, an important fact for your consideration:)

namaste
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    When I stumbled upon a passage in the "Lotus Sutra" that a great Buddha named Medicine Buddha wants a burning human body as the most precious sacrifice offered to him.

It is not meant to be taken literally. It's a symbolic gesture of renunciation.
    :)
  • I think you offer buddha all things real and imagined (as one practice). Obviously it might not be healthy to your practice to offer him dog poop unless you are doing it with the right understanding.
  • edited February 2011
    Question of authority in Buddhism!! As Buddha radically stated "Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books "- There is also this commonly wise advice of Dharma masters for those learning Buddhism that lack of wisdom which goes like this : if Buddhism texts are beings literally translated to benefit living beings, the past, present and future enlightened beings will "protest against its innocence of the holy version", for it has misled potential dharma masters from learning Buddhism to benefit the sentience. However, there were real cases where enlightened beings who mentioned that he was leaving for good and cremated himself in zen posture on a pile of firewood (not pouring kerosene on its body), as probably, he did not want to bother others to cremate on his behalf etc. It is not burning human body but igniting or awaken dharma body to benefit all beings.

• As for the Vietnamese comments - I don't know that this is connected to the Lotus Sutra?

Professor James A.Benn, associate professor of religion at McMaster University in Ontario, Canada, wrote about self-immolation; a Chinese Buddhist tradition dating from the late 4th century.

I wonder if he mentions the Lotus Sutra as an initial source of inspiration for it.
    It must be the only sutra in which it is described?

http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/bennjam/research.html

“My first article on the topic, “Where Text Meets Flesh: Burning the Body as an ‘Apocryphal Practice’ in Chinese Buddhism” (1998), explores how texts (both apocryphal and canonical) and practices in Chinese Buddhism operated in a mutually reinforcing cycle so that doctrinal innovations spurred new modes of bodily piety while, conversely, practices that lacked textual sanction drove the creation of scripture.
    The book, Burning for the Buddha, is a comprehensive study of the subject. It seeks first to place self-immolation in historical, social, ethical, cultural and doctrinal context via a thorough investigation of the practice throughout Chinese history. Second, it investigates how self-immolation was constructed as a Chinese Buddhist practice by three types of historical actors: self-immolators, their biographers, and the compilers of hagiographical collections. The book offers a detailed history of self-immolation in China from medieval times until the early twentieth century, and includes many annotated translations from primary sources.”

• With the dharma, none of it is any more important than any of the rest of it. Listen to the buddha. Listen to him right now. What is he telling you? Seriously, just listen. Whatever he's telling you, that is what you need to know.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Apparently self-immolation is a Buddhist practice.
    I found this on Wikipidia on the page about Thích Quảng Đức

“Despite the shock of the Western public, the practice of Vietnamese monks self-immolating was not unprecedented. Instances of self-immolations in Vietnam had been recorded for centuries, usually carried out to honor Gautama Buddha. The most recently recorded case had been in North Vietnam in 1950. The French colonial authorities had tried to eradicate the practice after their conquest of Vietnam in the 19th century, but had not been totally successful. They did manage to prevent one monk from setting fire to himself in Hue in the 1920s, but he managed to starve himself to death instead. During the 1920s and 1930s, Saigon newspapers reported multiple instances of self-immolations by monks in a matter-of-fact style. The practice had also been seen in China: in the city of Harbin in 1948, a monk seated himself in the lotus position on a pile of sawdust and soybean oil and set fire to himself in protest against the treatment of Buddhism by the communists of Mao Zedong. His heart remained intact, as did that of Thích Quảng Đức.”

I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone, would you?

:eek:
    Wow!
    So for the Buddha?
    Thank you all!:)
    @LeonBasin, Apparently the Lotus Sutra attracts the same type of blind belief in some instances as the Bible does. The whole thing with not being able to question it... lol, well that's against the Buddha's teachings right there. We have to be honest at some point that not everything out there came from the "historical" Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama.

I think his teachings have been "re-worked" several times over since his death, sometimes with the help of others who have reached enlightenment, perhaps sometimes by unenlightened minds. All credit given to the Buddha, of course, creating conflicts about authenticity and which path is correct. Sad in a way, useful in a way; depends on whether you get sucked into and stuck on one view to the exclusion of the possibility of all views.

IMHO whether teachings are from Siddhartha or another enlightened mind, they can teach us to see reality for what it is; after all, who says the particular way reality is expressed by Siddhartha was the only way it could be expressed, or the only method for seeing it? I have great faith in Siddhartha's teachings and methods, but to me he was just a human like the rest of us; anyone may be able to re-interpret reality with the same freedom from greed, hatred and delusion.

It's all in how your own mind works; what works for you. And still we should be mindful of these things and respect the beliefs of others as equally valid and with no greater authenticity or truth than our own, even if they are not our path. Some people are just selfish "jackasses" that make everyone else inferior to their way of practice and their beliefs, and that just isn't Buddhist behavior IMHO. :D

Whether a teaching is 100%, 75%, 50% in accord with reality... we can not truly know, unless we put it into practice for ourselves. So, practice!
    Interesting!
    Thank you!
    "LeonBasin">>>The Lotus Sutra is one of the most important scriptures in Buddhism (not just Tibetan) and you cannot question its authority, because it's like questiong the authority of the Bible in Christianity.

If you follow the dharma you would question all authorities, Leon, that is the starting point.

And BTW, the Lotus Suttra is nearly a thousand years and over a thousand miles removed from the time of the Buddha, an important fact for your consideration:)

namaste
    Great points!
  • Saying "self-immolation is a Buddhist practice" is like saying "self-flagellation is a Christian practice". It makes the practice much more mainstream and presentable than it is. Historically, some schools of Buddhism did see ritual suicide as acceptable. Some monks in Japan practiced self-mummification, where they would gradually starve themselves to death so they died sitting up while meditating and their corpse, already skin and bone, would mummify. The Tibetans seemed to have practiced a self-strangulation, where they had a noose that would tighten as they sat in meditation, gradually strangling themselves. And of course, the Vietnamese preferred fire. In all cases, the monk was supposed to die in the middle of intense meditation and that somehow imparted great karma to the surrounding land. It was done in times of trouble, mostly, of famine and war.

But the practice was rare and would be condemned by most Buddhists then and now. I suspect suicide as a noble act, a sacrifice that served the land, was more of a cultural thing. It takes a culture where this is seen on the same level as a martyr is, in the West.

• But the practice was rare and would be condemned by most Buddhists then and now.
    Well, for now I don’t think we have to hold back crowds of people from organizing “Burning for Buddha” events.
    But speaking in admiration of monks who actually did it – and mentioning how miraculously their hearts remained intact- is giving off the wrong signal.
    Maybe some poor religious maniac gets this little push he needs to follow the example.
    That would be terrible.

• single works that seek to embody the whole religion or teachings, such as the Lotus Sutra or the Vissudhimagga have little authority because they are merely works of literature
    I don't think it's fair to compare the Lotus Sutra with the Vissudhimagga (Path of the Purification). The Vissudhimagga is a pretty straight-forward attempt to summarize the discourses in the Pali Cannon.

The Lotus Sutra, on the other hand, puts forth entirely new assertions that it admits was not in the Pali Cannon. It actually dismisses parts of the Pali Cannon.
  • edited February 2011
    The importance of the story is that through the Lotus Sutra the Bodhisattva was again made whole. It is also a metaphor for the flames of illusion transfoming into Nirvana.