Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Mindset of Organizations like NEOPETS

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited February 2011 in General Banter
Neopets is a little kids game site.

I was on Neopets, asking why Neopets disapproved of religion (and trolling. hehe)

Then the company sent me a PM saying I was saying profanity.

So then I asked if I was allowed to name my neopet Buddha, Jesus, Allah, Jewishboy, etc.

And then they said I was swearing again.

So then I named my pet buddhaallahjesuslove.

Then they banned me because that could offend someone.

ROFL. How could that possibly be offensive to anyone? Comments? xD

Comments

• shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Maybe they're Stalinsists!
  • They probably knew you were trolling?
  • If you were there to troll, I'd first be questioning your own motives before theirs.

Trolling is a bad habit, you should work on that.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    The main trolling was to show off their own absurdness.
  • CamCam
    edited February 2011
    The main trolling was to show off their own absurdness.
    Their absurdness in relation to trolling. That's not a true measure.

There is no justification for trolling. It's a perverted pleasure activity that many indulge in, but that doesn't justify it either. It's not something you should be proud of.

~ Ex, converted troll.
    Ah, I'm sticking with trolling. :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    we don't tolerate trolls on here, much.....It's hardly surprising other forums don't either.....
    But again, nothing I was doing at that time was blatant trolling. It was asking a question.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    No, you were trolling, because you persisted in a discussion that you knew was contrary and argumentative. You were goading them, and metaphorically speaking, poking them in the chest.
    It was a question. Questions, on topics considered argumentative, aren't argumentative in and of themselves unless someone makes it. I just asked a few questions.
    They obviously didn't see it the way you did.
    And they were obviously wrong. ;)
  • CamCam
    edited February 2011
    It was a question. Questions, on topics considered argumentative, aren't argumentative in and of themselves unless someone makes it. I just asked a few questions.
    Not by your own definition of what you were doing;
    ... (and trolling. hehe) ...
    The main trolling ...
    You could have made a perfectly legitimate thread without including your glee of trolling. Eg, "Has political correctness gone too far?", "Are people too easily offended?": and then taken an objective look at the situation. That's how the thread would have gone if your motive wasn't simply to troll. You weren't there to produce an answer to a question, the answer was a byproduct of trolling.

Next time I think it would be better to leave that part out.

Edit:
    Another question came to mind.

Are you a Buddhist? How does trolling fit in with your buddhist view of Karma? Where does wisdom and compassion slot in to trolling?
    My definition, or my definition, of trolling is to purposely bring up something, or cause, mayhem. Asking questions like that will do so, but they shouldn't. Thats my issue.
    That's your opinion. Unfortunately, those who have to take care of forums and make decisions about what does, and doesn't constitute trolling/flaming/making trouble, may have different opinions, have a right to hold those opinions, and while they have a controlling role, really shouldn't be argued against.
    I belong to another forum where posting your contact details on forum is a lifetime ban-able offence. Going off topic warrants an infraction, and threadjacking results in a suspension.

Trust me, by comparison, this is an easy-going forum.
    Other forum moderators have their own agendas.
    Guess that's just the way it goes.
    Every forum has its own standards, and the really clever thing is to know what they are, and respect them.
    edited February 2011
    Well, my goal for Neopets was to eventually get banned, but I was surprised they banned me for that. I didn't respect them in the first place.

That other forum you are talking about must suck. My God, its like China in forum form.
  • Neopets is just a fun way to waste time, not to talk about religion anyway.
    edited February 2011
    accident
    watch your language, please.
    Thanks.
    I stick by what I said, F words and all.
    your posts are being edited, and some threads getting dumped.
    Really, is this the way you want things to go?
    I am aware of the posts above being edited. I know of known being dumped. This one? I don't care. The one about swearing? That thread is legitimate and doesn't deserve to be dumped.
    Haven't dumped it, haven't edited it. yet.
    edited February 2011
    Then if this is the one being dumped and edited, frankly I don't care. Just saying.
  • I'm grateful for the flexibility here to go off on tangents occasionally; that's sometimes how people become friends or help each other.
  • I appreciate the laid back nature of the moderators here too. I think they tend to show good example of Buddha nature. I don't want to find myself dealing with an uptight, mean Buddhist moderator lol.