Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Defending Buddhism?

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited December 2005 in Faith & Religion
Defending Buddhism?

I have seen a number of people on our site talking about parents or loved ones, that are not Buddhists, having a difficult time dealing with you becoming a Buddhist. Most especially, when dealing with Christians.

It also seems like there is a lot of frustration, by some, who feel they can't explain why they have decided to make this change, or even sometimes, explain some of the teachings of Buddha.

I know that growing up with the bread and butter of Christianity being shoved down my throat, I would have to say that I know much more about the teachings of the Bible than I do of the suttas of Buddha. But, how does one get passed this? To simply say, "I am a Buddhist." means nothing. It means just as much as those who say they care Christians, but by their speech and actions, you couldn't tell what they believed in.

What has drawn you to Buddhism? Is it just that you needed a break from a Christian god? Is your attachment to "Buddha" more an act of rebellion? Or is it a seeking for truth?
When you were a Christian before this, did you actually know anything about Christianity? And does just knowing something about a belief or practice, mean that "this" is what you are? I can cook - does this make me a chef? Because you have meditated, does this mean you are a Buddhist?

What are the Four Noble Truths?

What is the Eightfold Path?

What does it mean to follow these teachings and precepts? What does it mean to ignore these teachings and precepts but still call yourself a Buddhist? What is a Buddhist and why do you have to have a label for yourself? In Christianity, if you had so many other things in your life, in regards to a Christian god, but did not have love - you amounted to so much "tinkling cymbols and sounding brass".

I just thought that I would try to start a topic to make people stop and look at what they are doing and why they are doing it. Does the teachings of Buddha come into play in your daily life? Couldn't you actually be "nothing" and still follow Right View, Right Thought, Right Livelihood - and I'm not going to give the rest of them away.

-bf

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2005
    "By their fruits shall you know them."

You're right, BF, we do see a lot of people who appear to have a problem being accepted in their difference, particularly from parents. And your points are important.

I think, too, that it is the quality of difference that is at issue, far more than religion, philosophy or, even, sexual orientation. I notice that the tone and content of our replies to those who bring us their wounds from the battle between the generations is generally not didactic or critical - of either 'side'. We do not try to give 'ammunition' in some polemical battle. Elohim will post sutras and links for information. You, BF, will make some inappropriate joke. Fede will open her arms like an Earth Mother. Each of us will bring what we do best - just like the Magi at the manger.

And what we do best is to support each other!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2005
    "By their fruits shall you know them." snip...

Elohim will post sutras and links for information. You, BF, will make some inappropriate joke. Fede will open her arms like an Earth Mother. Each of us will bring what we do best - just like the Magi at the manger.

And what we do best is to support each other!

So - how come Elohim and Fede get to do the cool stuff and I'm excreted under the heading "Comic Relief"?

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2005
    Oh, Cripes, anything but an Earth Mother! 48 years of carefully cultivated notoriety down the drain - !! post-771-1122354339.gifpost-771-1122354339.gifpost-771-1122354339.gif
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    So - how come Elohim and Fede get to do the cool stuff and I'm excreted under the heading "Comic Relief"?

-bf

It is the ability to make others laugh that in my opinion, is one of the most under-rated, yet blesséd qualities of all.... to have the ability to put a smile on someone's face - to make a difference - is not to be treated lightly.
    Court jesters were hardly ever put to death for their infernal cheek and outrageous impudence - they got away with more than your average Knight, in what they could say - providing they managed to put a comical slant on it.
    Wear your 'funny man' badge with pride then, BF. When you consider how much "good news" there is going around at the moment, your gift is priceless - and so are you. :)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Fede, you are just like a mom.

"BF!, you should be proud of that huge mole on your face. None of the other kids have something like that growing out of their face! Wear your giant mole (and those couple of long hairs growing out of it) like a moley badge of honor!"

Simon makes Elohim sound like The Architect from the Matrix and makes you sound like the Big Mama of the Earth.

Me? I get Rodney Dangerfield duty.

Crap.

-bf
    edited December 2005
    Ok, sulk. Have it your own way. Be a moody so-and-so...see if I care.
    Mr. Grumpy home today?
    Go to your room.

And don't slam the door.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2005
    buddhafoot,

You get no respect.

;)

Jason
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2005
    BF,

No universe, no mythology, no schoolroom and no group would be complete without its Jester! Loki, coyote, Puck.... You join an illustrious group.