Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Taoism Books

edited February 2011 in Faith & Religion
I'm trying to find a good book on Taoism which explains it thoroughly. Very hard to do. My local bookstore doesn't have squat on Taoism. Just many many many copies of the Tao Te Ching.

Anyone know of any books on Taoism that explain it well? Like... Taoism for Dummies or something?

And preferably something for Kindle. :)

Comments

• The Chuang Tzu is also a literary work on taoism. I don't believe there are Taoist 'centers' in the western world though I could be wrong. Why not type taoism into amazon and see what you find?
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @TheUnity

When I first started investigating Taoism some 15 years ago I found this book very good: "Scholar Warrior: An Introduction to the Tao in Everyday Life"

Also, "The Tao of Pooh" and "The Te of Piglet" were well written and highly informative.

Oh yes, and "The Way of Zen", by Allan Watts was a great book too... It covers Taoist philosophy as well as Buddhist (Zen meets somewhere in the middle).
  • Here's some information of Taoism as it is actually practiced in China

http://www.patheos.com/Library/Taoism/Ethics-Morality-Community/LeadershipClergy.html
  • The Chuang Tzu is also a literary work on taoism. I don't believe there are Taoist 'centers' in the western world though I could be wrong. Why not type taoism into amazon and see what you find?
    I think there are centers... someone mentioned Taoists that go to reunions locally.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    "The Tao of Inner Peace" by Diane Dreher

"Backward Down The Path" by Jerry O. Dalton.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    @TheUnity

When I first started investigating Taoism some 15 years ago I found this book very good: "Scholar Warrior: An Introduction to the Tao in Everyday Life"

Also, "The Tao of Pooh" and "The Te of Piglet" were well written and highly informative.

Oh yes, and "The Way of Zen", by Allan Watts was a great book too... It covers Taoist philosophy as well as Buddhist (Zen meets somewhere in the middle).
    I would highly suggest all three of these books!
  • Tao of Pooh for sure