Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I've been very, very naughty today...

MountainsMountains Veteran
edited February 2011 in General Banter
Pharmacology test on Monday, followed by a Medicinal Chemistry test on Wednesday. So what did I do today? I went for a hike with my dog early in the morning, and since it was such a *gorgeous* day, I went to the glider club I belong to and went for a glider flight. Didn't get home until late afternoon. Okay, I did study a little, but boy it was sure nice to go flying! :)

Comments

• Yeah, and it relaxed you on the eve of your test, which is probably what you needed. Your mind will be clearer for the test if it's in a relaxed state. Those stress hormones won't be blocking your memory.
  • Mountains are you switching from nursing (wasn't that what you are in) to pharmacy? Or is that for nursing too?
  • Nurse anesthetist. You can never get enough pharmacology or chemistry apparently :) We sort of have to be experts in everything as anesthetists...
  • You must be good at math!
  • Stay loose, Mts.
    You probably already know all the study tricks: review the info before going to bed, so your subconscious can work on it in your sleep. Review as soon as you get up, to reinforce it. Then relax.
  • You must be good at math!
    Not even a little bit, in my dreams, on my best day. Show me a picture, don't show me a formula!
  • Just don't multiply the anesthetic by 2! Or worse 1/2!
  • That kind of math I can do in my head, on the fly :) As long as there are no Greek letters involved, I'm good!
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Hi, Mountains. It's the end of your stressful day, can you give us a post-mortem? How did the exam go? Just remember, we're all rooting for you. :)
  • Hi Dakini

Thanks for thinking of me! The pharmacology exam wasn't bad at all. I pretty well aced it. Chemistry is on Wednesday, and that one I'm sweating a lot. And we have another exam a week from Wednesday in another class (directly related to anesthesia and all that goes with it) that we're *all* sweating mightily. The next 10 days are going to be, um, interesting.

Film at eleven...

:)
  • You'll do great. Chem is difficult, though. But you've made it this far in your studies, through lots of chem, I'm sure :)
  • Well, that's actually part of the problem. I was instilled with an innate terror of chemistry by a really horrible high school chemistry teacher. Ever after that I avoided all things chemistry at all costs. In college (30 years ago) I had to take 100 level chemistry, which I did, and barely got a C. After that it was pure avoidance. Bizarre as it sounds, that one stinking freshman level chem course in 1981 carried me through getting a veterinary technician degree, a bachelor's of nursing, and into grad school! Bizarre, but true. Organic chemistry (again, bizarrely) is not a hard and fast requirement of this program - it should be - so I've never taken it. This Med Chem course incorporates a lot of concepts from o-chem that I've had to bone up on by myself (oh, the pain!), and the rest is learn as you go. Hence my profuse sweating. :)
  • It's good to be naughty once a while1
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I get it, Mts. I always had term-paper-phobia in school, based on my experience struggling to do a research paper in the 6th grade--our "training wheels" for future research papers. Years after graduating from university, I finally decided to face that phobia, and took a class just for the research paper requirement. I'm cured. :) I'm not sure how to advise you re: your chem-phobia, though. Maybe be mindful of the tendency to sweat it and catastrophize, and try to set up new mental habits? Wish I could be of more help. :( Let us know how you do after tomorrow's exam.

P.S. I'm especially dysfunctional at math. :p Which relates more to your chem-phobia (exotic formulas, and stuff). Fortunately< I don't need anything more than 4th-grade math to get by in life.
  • WHEW!! Am I glad today is (academically) over and done with. The chem test was a challenge, but I think I did okay on it. On to the next big thing...