Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Help Request, re: Ordination as Bhikkhu

CloudCloud Veteran
edited February 2011 in Sanghas
Does anyone know where there's information about Buddhist monasteries/viharas in Pennsylvania where I could ordain? [That don't cost a whole lot of money, if any? I could probably only scrounge up $1000 if it costs money.]

Starting to get sucked into worldly pleasures all over again, which is frustrating because I used to know better, and am prepared to give it all up and commit to intensive practice.

I'd prefer Theravada when it comes to this, preferably the Thai Forest tradition, though I know it'll probably come down to whatever is available.

EDIT: If they don't require money, or not much, then I could use what money I have for traveling expenses... so the vihara could be anywhere in the USA in that case.

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Wow cloud I don't but I think thats really amazing. Don't want to derail this (sorry) but I wanted to express my good wishes. I think there is a resource to find buddhist organizations in each state. And then you can narrow it down to which are monastaries. I will look for that tool and get back to you.

Does it have to be PA? Family?

http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/region.php?region_id=7 If Vihara means monastery I think you'll find some at least in a neighboring state.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @Jeffrey, No, no family of my own. It comes down to not having a lot of money. If they required money to ordain I could probably come up with $1000 or a little more; if they don't require money and it's a sure thing, I could use that money to travel... so I guess anywhere (in the USA). Thank you for making me think of that, I'll edit my post.

And thank you for the good wishes!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Unsure if the theravadans are using a foreign word for monastery but I found a zen monastery... Check the link in my post above to find the resource.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vihara
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Think it's "vihara". I like Zen and all but not sure if I could sit in meditation as long as they do...

I e-mailed them anyway to ask about ordination, so thank you.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Theres tons of viharas mentioned

New Jersey Buddhist Vihara

Address: 4299 Route 27 Princeton NJ 08540
    Tradition: Theravada, Sri Lanka
    Phone: 732 821 9346
    Fax: 732 821 9346
    E-mail: njbvihara@yahoo.com
    Find on:
    Main Contact: Ven Hungampola Sirirathana

Ohio Buddhist Vihara

Address: 1831 Miles Road, Cincinnati, OH 45231 OH
    Tradition: Theravada
    E-mail: obvihara@gmail.com
    Find on:
    Spiritual Director: Ven. Koppakande Sumanajothi Email (Phone: 513 825 4961)
    Teacher: Ven. Koppakande Sumanajothi
    Main Contact: Ven. Koppakande Sumanajothi Email (Phone: 513 825 4961)

• There I've e-mailed about a dozen places now, Theravada and Zen including the ones you provided @Jeffrey. I'm sure I'll get back some kind of response; if they don't have ordination they'll probably point me to the right place (at least one of them would don't you think?).
  • Yes sounds like a step in the direction. Great! Keep in touch with how things are unfolding.
  • Best of luck Cloud, let us know how it goes and if possible, keep in touch with the forum afterwards. =)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @ShiftPlusOne, Thanks, I'll do my best.

@Jeffrey, Will do! I've been putting this off for way too long. It's as clear as day that there's no lasting satisfaction to be found in the worldly life, and it just makes me sick really.

Hell I just bought a Kindle and had been having all kinds of thoughts tied up with having books to read for a long time, all the cool games and features, planning entertainment for countless hours... and all of it is attachment, craving, the illusion of finding satisfaction. Annoys me to no end.
  • Bring your kindle and show the monks :) Just teasing a bit, thinking you could put dharma teachings on it and share it.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Good luck cloud, Ordination will certainly be a big step in life a very noble one to !:)
  • @Jeffrey, Doubt monks would have interest in electronic gadgets. :) I've no problem giving it away to family though, maybe my mom (she likes some of the stuff I have on it like Dean Koontz and James Patterson) or one of my brothers. Of course I have a laptop and other stuff to part with also. It's amazing how little attachment I have to them, though plenty of attachment to the things I do with them.

@CazNamyaw, Thanks.
  • The dalai lama loves watches. Have you ever seen the pictures of the monks at an amusement park haha!
  • beingbeing Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Good luck, Cloud. I wish all works out for you. =)
    I actually have a sealed letter on my table, which will confirm my intended date of arrival to a Thailand's monastery. I'm going to post it today or tomorrow. :)
    I had been putting this off also. But just yesterday finally made up my mind, that I'll be going for sure.
    Not trying to hijack your thread, but just found this as a cool coincidence. :)
  • @Jeffrey, Yeah but the Dalai Lama isn't a monk in training or secluded from the world. :D

@being, Thanks, and good luck to you too!
  • Does anyone know where there's information about Buddhist monasteries/viharas in Pennsylvania where I could ordain? [That don't cost a whole lot of money, if any? I could probably only scrounge up $1000 if it costs money.]

Starting to get sucked into worldly pleasures all over again, which is frustrating because I used to know better, and am prepared to give it all up and commit to intensive practice.
    Et tu, Cloud? There seems to be a remarkable amt of interest on this site for ordination.

Good luck, keep us posted.
  • Holy !@#$, I just saw the truth. Can't remember what it was or even what I was thinking about before it hit me, but it was like pow, there it is... nevermind. It'll come back...
  • @compassionate_warrior, I was at the point of going off and living in the woods a couple months ago, so... this is better. :D
  • This maybe what you are looking for..

Abhayagiri Buddhist Monastary
    16201 Tomki Road
    Redwood Valley, CA 95470
    TEL: (707) 485-1630

They are a Thai Forest Tradition Monastary located near Ukiah, CA. There is also a good sized Chan/Zen Monastary in the area named The City of Ten Thousand Buddhas(the founder of the City actually gave the land to Thai Forest Monks to found the Abhayagiri Monastary. He was interested in bridging the gaps between Traditions)
  • What a great place for Thai Forest Tradition monastery--the CA redwoods!! Lucky you, Cloud! But...what'll we do without you?? :(
  • @Tekchef, Yeah I went to that site before and it was also recommended to me. I e-mailed them but it turns out they're on retreat until April 1st and unavailable unless for emergencies. That would be the perfect place, considering I wouldn't freeze my ass off during my meditations or anything.

@Dakini, Ya don't need me for nothin' Dakini; only use I have is bein' around so much and gettin' the jump on threads early to put in my 2 cents. If not me, someone else would give just as valuable 2 cents (pun fully intended :)). I'll miss you gals ('n guys) though.
  • But your 2 cents are so uniquely...you!
  • @Dakini, Ain't everyone's?
  • edited February 2011
    Go for it Cloud, its a fantastic opportunity especially with a Forest Monastery, and maybe one day others will visit the monastery to hear you teach!

:om:
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @Dakini, Ain't everyone's?
    So humble, Cloud.

Yeah, I'd love to move back to CA someday, and spend some time in the redwoods. All I have to do when I get to the monastery is ask for..."Cloud"?
  • @Dazzle, I'm sure that I would be teaching, if I end up being any good at it. The greatest thing, to me, would be helping others awaken to the truth.

@Dakini, Dunno. They'd probably give me some name based in Pali or something. You'd really come visit? I'll have to PM you my real name if/when I can actually go to this monastery; I'm sure it'd be enough for people to point me out.
  • Well, it's going to take me a good while to make it back to CA, so, no hurry. But it sounds like a cool place, well worth visiting when the opp'ty arises. :)
  • @Dakini, Might not be CA that I eventually go to then, not if I have to wait until after April 1st... my patience is about worn out. Every time I put off getting serious, I start to lose myself, and by myself I mean the part of me that actually knows the worldly life as a sham. The worldly part of myself doesn't have a vote this time. :D
  • This issue came up on another thread. You can't live a spiritual life and stay in the mainstream, well, not the mainstream, but in a side-eddy?

I'm drawn to northern CA and the redwoods (it's Home), so...if you go outside the West Coast, I might not make it to your locale.
  • This issue came up on another thread. You can't live a spiritual life and stay in the mainstream, well, not the mainstream, but in a side-eddy?
    @Dakini, I've tried, and it's not to say that I haven't made what I call "progress" in my practice, but there's this strong disenchantment with this routine and all the attachments. I end up creating new attachments instead of fewer, even though I should know better... and this has sparked disenchantment again, feeling like I'm in a dream and need to wake up, and the only one holding me back is me by not renouncing the worldly life and committing fully to practice.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Well, I don't mean to argue with you or anything, but the challenges of maintaining perspective in the householder life /is/ the practice.

But you know what's best for you. :)
    Good luck. Let us know where you decide to go.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Abhayagiri generally has a long waiting list for candidates for ordination, sometimes years long. Other good options may be: Wat Metta, Wat Atammayatarama and the Bhavana Society.
  • @Dakini, To a point you're right, but the monastic life was set up for a purpose too. Many times we justify to ourselves that as lay practitioners we can go just as far as monks/nuns, in fact more easily because we have "real life" to deal with. I've done it myself.

I'm stuck with a glimpse of reality that is making it very difficult to hold it together as a lay practitioner; it's like trying to wake up but in the routine of being injected with strong narcotics...

For me, I believe the answer is renunciation. That doesn't mean for everyone, just that I'm too weak to overcome the schism of reality vs. conception. :)
  • @Jason, Bhavana Society has a lengthy wait too according to their website and one has to at least attend a few retreats. I can check the other ones out later (thanks). Think it's time to sleep...
  • What you're going through sounds kind of fascinating, Cloud. Existentially fascinating. But difficult, granted. Thx for sharing.
  • Good luck, Cloud. I wish all works out for you. =)
    I actually have a sealed letter on my table, which will confirm my intended date of arrival to a Thailand's monastery. I'm going to post it today or tomorrow. :)
    I had been putting this off also. But just yesterday finally made up my mind, that I'll be going for sure.
    Not trying to hijack your thread, but just found this as a cool coincidence. :)
    what monastery are you going to?? :)
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    There is also a Theravadan monastery near Kamloops, British Columbia known as Birken Forest Monastery. I've been there, and it is a pretty cool place. They have a couple of senior monks and 4-5 younger monks - guys in their 20s. When I was there the abbot was a visiting abbot from California - a guy barely in his 30s, who came across like a surfer dude - quite interesting!

I recommend that you do some research. The restrictions that therevadan monks have to maintain are WAY more difficult than sitting for a long time. As for zen practitioners sitting for a long time - we usually only sit for 25 or 30 minutes, and then do walking meditation. Its only the full day retreats that are long, but that applies to all traditions.
  • Never heard of proper ordination to be venerable requires money :cool:
  • i think most temples require permission from your parents even if youre quite old certainly at the temple i lived at they required parental permission, hope thats not a problem
  • Thanks everyone for your help.
This discussion has been closed.