Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Aha! Moment

edited February 2011 in Faith & Religion
Okay, so as I was talking to TheJourney a day or two ago, he told me a few of his beliefs. At the time, I didn't think too much of it. I thought they were quite eccentric, but in a good way, though they didn't quite make a ton of sense to me. However, as I was walking home today from school and ranting to my girlfriend about dependent-origin, it came to me. Reality is only perception. I find this to be true. An anti-materialistic view. Its hard to write my thoughts down exactly on this, but I'm formulating my thoughts and ideas as you read this.

Though, I'm wondering, if this is true (and I know some people on NewBuddhist who believe this), then why can we not alter our reality? Why can we not alter what we see? If we try hard enough, why can't we see pink elephants appearing before our very eyes? Why do we perceive reality this way and not some other way? Why is life not like a dream, where we can change it at any moment? Or is it a dream and we just don't know it yet?

Just a little AHA! moment I suppose. :)

Comments

• shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Many 'quantum physics people' - I'll just call them, seem to believe that we DO alter our realitys. We create them.

Personally, about 30 minutes ago while I was watching TV I semi-hallucinated, a common thing for me, that the soda can in front of me moved. As usual I thought about it for a second and told myself, "it did move". :wow:
  • Did you see it move? If so, it moved. Did other people see it move? If not, to them, it did not move.

:P Just writing my thoughts down on paper. Well... on, um, pixels.
  • We are creating our perceptions. I believe that we are comin upon a time when we will be able to have more and more obvious control over our reality. I personally already can show obvious(to me) control over reality, although it's not overt like making elephents appear out of nowhere.
  • JARED! Cough cough... I do believe I was in this conversation with you and TheJourney... :/ I feel left out. But anyhow...

So basically I would definitely agree, that there is thus no inherent reality and this is simply because reality as we see it is merely a permutation of our own thoughts as a self entity and thus a spawn off of the 5 aggregates or skandhas that make up this self. Going off of this we create our own duality with our reality as we SEE it and reality as it IS. These two however overlap for us as we perceive it and this is why reality, and truth as a whole, is imperceivable to us... or simply put above us. Because if everything we think and do is building blocks that are layered upon our own sense of reality, it is then that we create duality with truth. Perception. Self.

ANYWAY... I think of reality as we perceive it like a TV channel. Some thing that the sky is green. This is there reality. The sky is green. And this perception is cast into the brain, in our MINDS (result of the 5 skandhas) and we project that truth into the world. Our own private TV channel ;)

As far as changing reality goes, you perceive that there is no pink elephant in front of you. You're reality. If there were, then your reality changes, there is.

Namaste
  • Of course all of that is my opinion as I see it. But I also think there is absolute truth... we just can't understand it when we project ourselves into said truth.
  • I would think that "quantum physics people" are people who study and fully understand quantum physics. Those people make no such claims. There are a few TV scientists who say things like that, but they don't seem to have any papers published to support their opinions.

Yes, there's an element of reality that is perception. However, there are elements of reality which are independent of our perception of them.

The Earth wasn't magically flat when people thought it was flat.

There are several ways you can detach your perception from reality.
    1) You don't understand the basic nature of reality. For example, the Earth is flat, it is the centre of the universe and the sound revolves around it. It's a simple mistake, but it altered people's perception of how things actually were. Much, if not most, of what we currently believe falls into this category.
    2) Mental disability. Schizophrenia and psychosis are example of disabilities which disconnect you from reality.
    3) Drugs. Take some LSD and you'll see all the pink elephants you want. Then they might try to kill...

I am sure there are others, but those are the main ones I see everywhere.

It just goes to show you, that "reality is only perception" as some sort of Ultimate Truth™ is a useless notion with no real world applications. I am not trying to be rude to TheJourney, I hope he doesn't take it that way. I am just saying that idea is one of the worst to cling to.

If you feel that someone is causing you to suffer, chances are it's your fault, not theirs. In that case, you need to change your perception and in turn alter your subjective reality. So sure, there are some uses if you take a middle way approach to it and say that some things are subjective, some are objective, some are intersubjective and some are none of the above.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @TheUnity, Close, but no cigar. Your thinking is that in reality being perception, the mind creates the reality. Rather it's that reality is imposing itself upon the mind (not imposing, but you know what I mean) through the senses and the mind then must perceive that reality. The transient phenomena are not created by the mind, but your perception of those phenomena is.

There is a "real world" so to speak, but it can be perceived in many different ways, and in this way your mind creates your reality through perception. You can't start seeing pink elephants as you say, but you can start seeing reality in a different way; more clearly, aligned with what the mind comes to know as its true nature. Instead of seeing people and things, you may come to see processes.
    The "internal" and the "external" work together, are intertwined and truly inseparable processes. The world is experienced by the mind, according to the mind's clarity of nature, and the body interacts with the world accordingly.
    :D

Namaste
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    So REALITY is based on perception?

The universe itself is concrete (though, of course, constantly changing)?
  • Another way of looking at it. We all know there are colours. The reason colours are special is because our eyes can detect them and our minds can perceive them. Our eyes can't detect infrared light, so we use special devices. We then map the intensity of infrared light as a colour. That enables us to 'see' it.

'course we don't know what it looks like. We don't know what "green" looks like either. They are just waves of different frequency. What we are seeing is the interaction of electromagnetic waves with electrons and we perceive it as 'green'. That interaction is real, but how we perceive it is subjective. We know some people perceive colours differently, while some people can even taste colours, for example.

Simply put, we interpret reality rather than create it. I think that's pretty much what Cloud was saying anyway.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @MindGate, Right. (As far as I know through my study/practice.)

@ShiftPlusOne, Yeah, "interpret" might be an easier way to put it. We're interpreting reality; our interpretation at any given time is our "perception".
  • To bring it home... If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?
    Well, you might be using the term reality different than I use it.

Reality is what we perceive, is how I see it. What we can see, feel, hear, taste, and touch.
    To bring it home... If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?
    No. The definition of sound includes the action of the vibrational waves hitting and eardrum. If an eardrum is not around, the connection is not possible.

I figured that out days ago. ;)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Okay, so as I was talking to TheJourney a day or two ago, he told me a few of his beliefs. At the time, I didn't think too much of it. I thought they were quite eccentric, but in a good way, though they didn't quite make a ton of sense to me. However, as I was walking home today from school and ranting to my girlfriend about dependent-origin, it came to me. Reality is only perception. I find this to be true. An anti-materialistic view.
    It's only anti-materialist if you also deny the existence of the material reality you're perceiving.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    There are always animals in the forest, so yes. Regardless, it creates "sound waves". That anyone/anything hears them is kinda irrelevant, isn't it? That we must create a perceiver, a subject, is just part of our duality.
    It's only anti-materialist if you deny the existence of the assumed material reality you're perceiving.
    Which I sort of did/still do.
    There are always animals in the forest, so yes. Regardless, it creates "sound waves". That anyone/anything hears them is kinda irrelevant, isn't it? That we must create a perceiver, a subject, is just part of our duality.
    And what if there wasn't any animals?

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Then it would still create the sound waves, but the sound waves would not be perceived by a mind. You have to think of it in terms of a process, and not a subject/object relationship. Those sound waves are still emitted, for anyone or anything that could either hear or be affected by sound waves, even small interactions that are like interactions in the weather (unbeknownst to us how it all works).
  • edited February 2011
    IMO, You guys really should read some anti-materialist philosophers if you haven't already. It'll be fun! Berkeley is the best. Objects have no existence independent of their being perceived. What's more objects have no substance, they are merely collections of qualities which the senses detect. The objects are only ideas. It's great because it's never been proven wrong! LOL. :thumbsup:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/berkeley/image
  • My point was simpler than that. The energy/mass of what we call tree is there and is real (unless you want to argue that the energy/mass needs to be perceived to be defined as a tree), however the sounds must be perceived for us to call them sounds. Some people can hear the 50Hz buzz of household electricity. We don't normally call it sound, even though it produces the waves which hit our ear drums. For the people who hear it however, it's sound. That's a different way to see reality, isn't it?

Anyway, I think I am only looking at one facet of it, so I'll shut up for now and just read the rest of the thread.
    the sensation produced by stimulation of the organs of hearing by vibrations transmitted through the air or other medium.
    ---
    Sound definition. Ears are needed for their to be "sound."
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @MindGate, Sound is a perception; it's how we perceive the vibrations. The sound waves, or vibrations themselves, are still there. Take away the subjective experience, and see that reality still exists in its own way without perception being applied. It's not the same. Those vibrations, without a perceiving mind which labels them as sound, are tathata; suchness. Just the way it is. This is the purpose of the practice, to be able to see the suchness as it really is. :D

To make it about whether they are heard or not is just placing some kind of importance on a person or animal, as if without them there's nothing happening. There's something happening; that's the bottom line. It just can't be defined other than "vibrations" or undefinable (tathata). Tathata's not a definition, just pointing to the reality beyond words.

To be technically accurate, there's no "sound" because it isn't heard, but that's only being half-accurate. The question itself is misleading, in fact a koan in its own right! :)
    :buck:
  • That's beautiful, I'm going to use that as a koan now that it has turned out to truly be one by its very nature. Thanks @MindGate / @TheUnity, whatever you wanna be called now. :D
    MindGate, TheUnity, MindUnity, Mr. Awesome. All are fine.
  • edited February 2011
    Think of "reality," what exits without perception, as some sort of perfect ideal. In truth, it does not exist independent of perception, but it is important that we strive for it. It is important that we work for perfection, but in truth, in real absolute truth, it does not exist. Unless you are to say that everything is perfect.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    wow it's midnight already?
  • Think of "reality," what exits without perception, as some sort of perfect ideal. In truth, it does not exist independent of perception, but it is important that we strive for it. It is important that we work for perfection, but in truth, in real absolute truth, it does not exist. Unless you are to say that everything is perfect.
    What applications does that statement have?

• Aren't we all glad MindGate/Unity got to stay on the site? Look at this fascinating conversation! (I'm a fan.) :D
  • Yeah this thread rules. It's given me, for one, ammo to explain duality in an interesting way.
  • in this earth it is not possible to alter reality that easily with mind alone... in deva namanarati ("devas delighting in their own creations") it is that easy.

this is just an hypothesis but:
    basically, what scientists call "the universe" is the consensus of various minds through time; but most are just born into that consensus.
  • Good post MindGate. :)
  • Altering reality because reality is just perception - seems like magickal thinking to me.
    Altering reality because reality is just perception - seems like magickal thinking to me.
    Elaborate, please.