Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Illuminati"

edited February 2011 in Buddhism Today
I've noticed that, lately, there's a lot of currency in ideas that 20 years ago, one would have their general sanity put in question for holding. I don't think you have to be necessarily chemically imbalanced to hold insane ideas though. You just have to live in an unstable and uncertain era for paranoid ideas to be more uncommon. I really think that's happening today with the whole notion of the, so called, Illuminati, which I've found to be described as a shadow government or even some sort of supernatural entity that has control over the current order of reality. The problem I have with the view is it tries to identify an external source of evil. I kind of believe in an iron prison as the Gnostics believed, but I think that, as a species, we imprison ourselves through our own nature, I don't believe there's devils that run around and make people do what they do or build the prison around them. I think everyone, from any socio-economic scale, has certain, inherent tendencies to be selfish and self interested and this behavior effects society and the world for the negative. If everyone, from rich to poor, saw reality outside of their own egos, we'd release ourselves from the prison we've found ourselves in as a species. I think we all have the key; we just have to find it within ourselves.

I've heard the agenda of the Illuminati as being globalized markets, outsourcing of jobs, corporate lobbyists, etc etc, but that sounds more like the work of multinational corporations and ultimately the greed and self interest of individuals within those corporations. I don't see any use in the term, because it just seems to be a catch all (Anything from shape shifting lizards from another dimmension to international bankers) and think its pointless because nobody is actually calling their selves by that name. The real names they go byare Exon-Mobile, BP, Halliburton, etc etc. The name implies some sort of enlightenment, but the only thing they're enlightened about is maximizing profits for their investors. Beyond that they're pretty unconscious people spiritually. I don't think that lack of conscience in them is really any more extensive than the average person though. I see it as just a general soul sickness of the human species that effects people on the bottom as well as the top of the ladder.

Another thing I notice Illuminati conspiracists do is they demonize anyone who has a differing opinion than them. If you don't agree with everything they say, they brand you as being one who's in on the conspiracy, especially if you're high profile, like a celebrity. If you believe in multiculturalism or environmental conservation, you're not just someone with a differing opinion. You're working on behalf of evil, whether consciously or through ignorance. I think a lot of it comes from popular culture over the past decade that deal with these kind of Gnostic themes, like the Matrix, where they depict the average, ignorant person who isn't in the know as an enemy working on behalf of the corrupt system. Their idea is that there's spiritual forces manning the helm of reality in an exploitative or incompetent way. In my view, nobody is really manning the helm, and I think its there for us to take as a species if a bunch of people wanted to stop being jerks to each other and taking life too seriously.

From what I've seen, more young people believe in the whole Illuminati, secret world government idea than older people. This is the case in America anyway; I don't know about the rest of the world. I think it could actually be potentially dangerous for so many, otherwise sane people, to hold such strong, paranoid notions. At the least, its counter-productive in actually solving the real issues at hand.

Comments

• What do you think about secret societies like skull and bones?
  • edited February 2011
    What do you think about secret societies like skull and bones?
    I think Skull and Bones is a good ol' boys club and a conspiracy as far as rich frat buddies building life long political and business connections is concerned. I think the only dark forces they summon are the ones of greed and avarice that pollute the human psyche the whole world over
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    What do you think about secret societies like skull and bones?
    Maybe?
    Like anything else... It could exist and it does, maybe our perception is different and our consciousness is not ready to know about it?
  • Ok, thanks for the reply.

I'd agree with all of that, but I wouldn't downplay the implications. Sure, people like Mark Dice, Alex Jones and David Icke talk about Satanists or reptilians and what not. They make real concerns seem foolish, I think.

In my opinion, there are plenty of reasons to have legitimate concerns about secret societies.
  • the iluminati stoped existing centuries ago, they were a secret society whose agenda was to make secular governments (among other objectives).

now, the iluminati are purely fictional.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Ok, thanks for the reply.

I'd agree with all of that, but I wouldn't downplay the implications. Sure, people like Mark Dice, Alex Jones and David Icke talk about Satanists or reptilians and what not. They make real concerns seem foolish, I think.

In my opinion, there are plenty of reasons to have legitimate concerns about secret societies.
    I think they all have their own agenda.
    And I do agree with, "They make real concerns seem foolish!"
  • edited February 2011
    I m
    Ok, thanks for the reply.

I'm not one to think that there's no conspiracies that go on. I just don't think there's covens of Luciferians among the rich and famous that use black magic or whatever to maintain control over humanity.

I'm not completely complacent nor think there isn't any manipulation whatsoever, I just take up a general issue with using the name "Illuminati" to describe all conspiratorial activity. I think conspiracy comes from different sources and different interests but suspiciously from the top 1% that own most the capital, land, resources, and influence. As Thomas Hobbes said, money is power, and there's really no need to use code words when we can actually identify the real sources of manipulation in the real world behind the media giants, corporate lobbyists, and crony politicians. They insist that the Illuminati is behind all that, but a careful examination of the dynamic of greed and self interest (basic human nature) will show there's no real need for explanation beyond what's already right in front of us.

As someone mentioned, the Illuminati was a historical organization that doesn't exist anymore. It was started by enlightenment thinkers that wanted to break away from the stranglehold that the church had over scientific inquirery, as well as government. I find it funny, or sad, that a lot of these conspiracy types, like Alex Jones, act like they're promoting the legacy of the founding fathers, when in reality the founders of America were educated men who wouldn't have wanted anything to do with their paranoid superstitions. Most of them were scientific rationalists who founded a modern republic based off the ideals of enlightenment and pre-enlightenment figures, some of which were involved in the real Illuminati. Many of the founding fathers were also Masons, another organization that Jones and Icke demonize that has its origins in enlightenment thought. The only reason there's so much of a prejudice against the historical Illuminati and the Masons is because churches of the time felt threatened by their cosmopolitan and multicultural views. They saw them as competition, so they branded them as Satan worshipers, a very common tactic that they'd used for hundreds of years for all sorts of things they felt challenged their power and influence, whether protestant or catholic.
  • Sounds about right.
  • i dont know much about the masons but here in redlands when our chapter of the klu klux klan was loosing its support and disbanding, the local masonic temple offered to take them in and make them all masons, sometime in like the 50s or something.
  • That's interesting. I think it was AJ who was saying that the KKK was started by freemasons. However, I couldn't find any evidence to support that.
  • edited February 2011
    The KKK was started as a kind of fraternity for rich, post-bellum southerners I thought. I wouldn't be surprised if some southern Masons were involved, but that doesn't mean that all Masons were responsible for its inception. From what I understand, the different chapters are autonomous to a certain extent. I remember hearing in history class that the Klan in the 20's, in some areas, was seen in the same light as the Elks club as well. Though it had a racist undercurrent, at some point you have to look at it as being another competing social club.

• edited February 2011
    I've noticed that, lately, there's a lot of currency in ideas that 20 years ago, one would have their general sanity put in question for holding.
    Yes, and it is a useless currency. Perhaps the people most likely to entertain these ideas are the ones who feel they have least control over their own affairs. Could it be that the best possible outcome one can achieve from uncovering these 'important' truths is to further depress an already disgruntled poplace and, furthermore, stir the rest of the unthinking masses from their collective apathy?

• Yah, and that, of course, wouldn't really be a good outcome at all. Unthinking people being stirred out of their appathy generally don't correct the problem. They just make it a lot worst. I can just imagine a bunch of millitia type libertarian weirdos overthrowing the government and putting some sort of dysfunctional system or right wing dictatorship in its place.
  • Mellow, I think you have the wrong impression of libertarians. We're not what you see on fox news. It seems like the Rush Limboughs (or however he's spelled) of the world have latched onto the idea, so all of their fans show up to the events. Then the news find the most ignorant, homophobic rednecks in the crowd and make it seem like that's everyone there.

I think it's one of those things where people join in a fight without realising they want different things. Some might be there because they want to overthrow the government and put in a right wing dictatorship as you've said. Others might because they want the current government to be more responsible with their spending.

So yeah, I think it's the Glenn Beck and Alex Jones type of people who make libertarianism seem ignorant in the US. Before fox latched onto it, all I saw were positive comments about libertarianism, now it's quite the opposite.

'course I am all the way down under, so I might not be in the position to judge what's going on in the US.
  • edited February 2011
    I have the same problems with libertarianism as I do with communism. They're both these very well meaning, ideological extremes. Communism started as a very anti-government, pro-democracy, pro-freedom movement that emphasized communitarianism, and when the revolutionaries overthrew the Russian government, they didn't get a direct democracy or anything like that, just really a lot of convoluted policies that their leaders called democracy. In the same way, libertarianism is a lot like Communist ideology, only it takes individualism to the extreme. I think if we had some sort of revolution lead by right-libertarians, we wouldn't get any of the utopian promises they deliver. They'd have some sort of perverted application of individualism. I think you have to have an equally balanced view of communitarianism/social conscience and individual responsibillity. You can't expect relying on one extreme or the other to make the world perfect. I don't know if that encompasses all of right-libertariansism, but that's the sense I get from the Ayn Rand variation of it.

As for the Tea Party/Glen Beck types, there's a lot of them who identify with the label over their views on taxes, getting rid of public education, food taxes,social security, etc, but they're socially repressive when it comes to issues like gay marriage. They tend to be religious nuts too.
  • Ah well, I think it's all sort of moot, since they won't ever overthrow anything.
  • Ah well, I think it's all sort of moot, since they won't ever overthrow anything.
    I think they could abolish all social safety netting and role the social contract to the turn of the last century where kids were working in tenament houses and there were virtually no labour laws though.
  • I meant, they won't overthrow the government. Their numbers are too few and their ideas don't connect with the younger people.
  • the tea party pretty much controls the swing votes in the US house of representatives right now. so maybe the overthrow has already happened, anarchy does seem to prevail in the US economy
  • edited February 2011
    I meant, they won't overthrow the government. Their numbers are too few and their ideas don't connect with the younger people.
    That's true. Asserting that libertarians are going to overthrow the government is probably about as absurd as saying that all the liberals are trying to institute death pannels, as the tea party Republitarians insisted. I think the Timothy Mcveigh, militia types are really just a weird hybrid of ideologies anyway. I don't really consider obsession with race, as Mcveigh was pre-occupired with, as a real libertarian precept either, because libertarianism is, at the heart, is more of a philisophical belief copncerning free will of the individual than a political ideology. There's right and left variants that argue from the position of free will. Republitarians was a clever term I heard. They don't want Gay Marriage or medicinal marijuana. They basically just want Regan policies of heavy millitary and business subsidization, morality policing, and general blows to the labour movement and erosion of any social safety netting whatsoever. I think that's been pretty well demonstrated, so I won't lump them in with actual right-libertarians. They don't seem to really care about ending heavy subsidization of the millitary industrial complex either, which most real libertarians tend to consider an issue.