Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is present when mindful awareness isn't?

edited February 2011 in Philosophy
When awareness dissolves in distraction, what is present? Is it just conditioning playing out?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2011
    It depends. Do you mean internally or externally?

Internally, it's Ignorance. Externally it's just perceived phenomena..
  • Internally. Can you elaborate a little more on ignorance?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Ignorance makes us see things as we choose to see them, not as they really are.
    When there is no Mindfulness, our own clouded delusions are in action.
    This is known as ignorance. we attach to hindrances, gasping and stray from the eightfold path.

This to a greater or lesser degree.
    But that's just my take on it. I could be wrong, or others might disagree with me.
  • I would say the ego does the driving at those times.
  • I feel like when I'm not mindful, I can't really say that I'm seeing anything at all. It's all autopilot. But what coordinates and fuels autopilot?
  • I would agree, that it's just 'conditioning playing out'. :)
    yes, but conditioning is just a format. What is playing out, is Ignorance, which is fuelled by conditioning.
    You can't change conditioning.
    You can change ignorance.
  • edited February 2011
    Your own delusions.

And I would argue u can change conditioning. Just takes a much longer time.
  • Of course we can play with the words in all kinds of different ways.
    I do not disagree nor do I see how it's contradicting anything.
    We could also say 'what is playing out, is conditioning fueled by ignorance'. In fact it sounds a bit better atm. But we would still be pointing in the same direction anyways.
  • What is the most direct way of uprooting ignorance?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    What is the most direct way of uprooting ignorance?
    http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/eightfoldpath.html

• IMO, it's when the volume control of sense awareness is turned down enough to match the ambient noise of the world.

:D:D:D
  • What is the most direct way of uprooting ignorance?
    Transforming the six sense consciousness of the six internal-external (organ-object) pairs of sense into inherent enlightenment sense of unsurpassed compassion :thumbsup: