Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do you feel if you go days without meditating?

edited February 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I've come to realize that mindfulness isn't simply a switch that can be turned on and off. It takes genuine practice. Whenver I miss a couple days of meditation sessions I'm never able to sit still, always lose attention, and generally feel really agitated. I find it very hard to concentrate. For example, in school I constantly look at the clock every 3 minutes. Then I'm thinking about lunch all of 3rd hour and by lunchtime something else is on my mind. It's a never ending cycle. I'm assuming this is my mind gravitating back to its baseline - I'm just now noticing it more. So my question is how do YOU feel when you skip your sessions?

Comments

• Sort of like I left home without something important, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is. That nagging feeling of "what the heck was it?". That's what it feels like if I miss a day or two. Like today, for instance.
  • No different. I think the effects take a while to wear off, so much so that I don't notice. Whether any change has taken place or not, I can't say.
  • No different. I think the effects take a while to wear off, so much so that I don't notice. Whether any change has taken place or not, I can't say.
    Interesting. I've heard it takes 9-12 months for your brain chemistry to physically change from meditation. May I ask how long you've been meditating, how often you meditate, and how long your sessions are?
  • I feel terrible, simply put.

I know what I am missing so it becomes a bit painful to realise the wasted days.

• Here's a meditation technique I found that could be modified to do at school, and even in the classroom:

recently, I decided to try a small, five-minute-a-day mindfulness regimen recommended to me by the University of Washington psychology professor Marsha Linehan. One of the simple techniques Linehan uses to improve patients' mood and concentration is to ask them to sit on a park bench or at a street corner — any public place — and direct their eyes forward as strangers walk by. The idea is to avoid looking at the passersby even if they are interesting — you just let them walk by. You notice them, but you keep your mind focused on not watching them, not following them. I have been practicing this technique at New York City's congested High Line park for the past few weeks. The results have been extraordinary: I focus better at work; I don't dread cleaning after my cats as much; I actually look forward to confronting the crowds at the High Line.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2008914,00.html#ixzz1Dbn9qhM8

I tried a variation of this technique in my yoga class-- I only occasionally looked at my instructor and one or two students whose technique I could copy; I avoided looking at anyone else and would choose points on the wall and floor to look at during poses.

I could immediately feel the difference and yoga felt much more like a meditation than a physical exercise.

Perhaps in class you can try focusing on just the board or the teacher and really be mindful of the desire to look at other people, the clock or the window.

• Here's a meditation technique I found that could be modified to do at school, and even in the classroom:

recently, I decided to try a small, five-minute-a-day mindfulness regimen recommended to me by the University of Washington psychology professor Marsha Linehan. One of the simple techniques Linehan uses to improve patients' mood and concentration is to ask them to sit on a park bench or at a street corner — any public place — and direct their eyes forward as strangers walk by. The idea is to avoid looking at the passersby even if they are interesting — you just let them walk by. You notice them, but you keep your mind focused on not watching them, not following them. I have been practicing this technique at New York City's congested High Line park for the past few weeks. The results have been extraordinary: I focus better at work; I don't dread cleaning after my cats as much; I actually look forward to confronting the crowds at the High Line.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2008914,00.html#ixzz1Dbn9qhM8

I tried a variation of this technique in my yoga class-- I only occasionally looked at my instructor and one or two students whose technique I could copy; I avoided looking at anyone else and would choose points on the wall and floor to look at during poses.

I could immediately feel the difference and yoga felt much more like a meditation than a physical exercise.

Perhaps in class you can try focusing on just the board or the teacher and really be mindful of the desire to look at other people, the clock or the window.
    that actually sounds like a good idea, especially since i'm always looking for ways to be mindful outside of my meditation sessions. thanks for the tip
  • I should try this. I believe that yoga was orginaly a meditation technique. I may be wrong though.
  • When does meditation stop?
  • I should try this. I believe that yoga was orginaly a meditation technique. I may be wrong though.
    That's probably true to a large degree. However, nowadays people take yoga because they want to have a hot body, not because they want enlightenment, and the teachers are catering to that desire.
  • When does meditation stop?
    It's not supposed to.
  • I've heard it takes 9-12 months for your brain chemistry to physically change from meditation. May I ask how long you've been meditating, how often you meditate, and how long your sessions are?
    On and off for 5 years now, daily when I do, and 15 minutes on average but I have gone over an hour occasionally. After what you have mentioned perhaps I had better train more consistently for at least a year?
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    The urge to meditate gets too strong and I rearrange things to accommodate. Worse comes to worse I'll go for a walk or a drive.

Cheers, WK
  • Thanks for the encouragement, guys!
  • After doing an hour a day religiously for seven years, then two hours a day most days for about two years, I started to skip sessions in the last few months, often for weeks. It seems to lead to more intense emotional reactions, which is actually useful from a practice perspective. Not the reason I've been skipping, though. Can't really say why... I keep coming back to it, though, and feel like a major new shift in the practice is just around the corner...
  • Shift!! five you should know better :D :P Howdy matey.

Abu
  • I think this is my problem too. I used to meditate often, though not on a schedule. Then, I'd meditate all day long as I was doing whatever had to be done. Now? Hardly at all. Think I'll try to get on a good schedule after I get done reading this Real Happiness book.
  • Shift!! five you should know better :D :P Howdy matey.
    Things change. If they didn't change, there would be no sense in practicing. :)