Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ideas

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited February 2011 in Philosophy
Just writing ideas down, refining them. No need to really comment. Just sort of an online notepad in case I want to show people. Feel free to respond if you want, though. :)

Unity:

We perceive only Our Reality
What we see, what we sense in our Reality.
What we think of as life, as us, is perception.
Take away perception, what do you get? Just our consciousness, our thoughts.
'You' exist just within your mind, what you can see.
Your mind is all that makes you up, what you think you are.
But, your mind in and of itself doesn't exist independently.
How could it? You clearly aren't everything that exists, you can't control Reality.
You are one part of the whole, the Ultimate Reality
The Ultimate Reality is everything, all emcompassing.
We only are able to see bits and peices of it, since we can only perceive things through our senses
We are only a part of the whole, we can't see the whole picture.
We only can see Our Reality, what exists from our senses, what our mind sees.
Ultimate Reality makes everything up.
We can't really comprehend it, it is impermanent. Everything is impermanent.
It is always changing, just chaos. It is infinite and finite, in a sense.
The Ultimate Reality is everything and nothing.
It 'just is.'
Since we are only part of it and have limitations of the body, we only experience part of it.
We experience it in such a way that we think we are independent, separate.
We create duality, when we are just truly part of the Ultimate Reality, everything.
This duality is Our Reality. It is what we perceive, what our mind says.

Comments

• They're just ideas. I think the Truth is not just conceptual. IMO.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    You see, what I'm saying is that the Ultimate Reality, or ultimate truth, is beyond our grasp because of the duality we create. We create this duality because we see The Ultimate Reality only in parts, not as a whole.

The Ultimate Reality really can't be a concept, but Our Reality can be considering it is a wrong view of that ultimate truth.
  • Nicely poetic. Good work. :)

FWIW,

Check this out: limits of language intro. Might fire up more ideating. :)

http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/phl201/modules/Philosophers/Wittgenstein/wittgenstein.html

edited February 2011
    @Roger

2 things.

1) Thanks. :)
    2) A couple of months ago I conceived my first idea on Reality called "The Theory of Everything and Nothing." It gave rise to my notion that everything is part of an infinite Whole. When debating this with my girlfriend, I had to counter the Creator God argument. In this case, I was trying to discredit the Bible. My argument went like this:

"God, according to the Bible, seems to have personality. He has shape and form. He has the same emotions as man, he seems to have brain and thought. His thoughts seemed limited, considering he did not know whether or not Adam would be good or evil. He seems like man. How could a person, with personality and form and thoughts, possibly conceive an entire universe? Right now, try to think of a color that doesn't exist. Its impossible, because your mind is limited. God cannot be humanlike at all, because he thought would be limited too. For the Bible to say that God is humanlike in nature, it makes no sense for Him to be the creator of everything."

Seems to go along with the idea that some things are beyond the grasp of the human mind.
  • This 'ultimate reality' you speak of is no more ultimate or real than any other concept a mind can conjure up. I think you'll hit a dead end with than line of thought. As long as you don't confuse a dead end with enlightenment, I guess there's no harm.
    Our view of everything is much like being in a hotel. We are on the bottom floor of the hotel, with some number of rooms and floors above and below us. We can see people coming in the doors and going out. We can see people going in the elevators and coming out. We see these people, but we can’t see where they’re going. Our view is very limited. In fact, we don’t know how many rooms there are.
    We could go exploring rooms, or following a person who comes in the hotel. Though, our view would still be limited. We could go to the 54th floor of the hotel and see who is there, but we don’t know what is going on below us then. We could go to the top floor and claim that we know how many floors there are, but people could be adding things above us. We can only see so much.
    Reality is like that in the sense that we can only see what are senses show us. We are limited to our brain and body, which are limited. Our vision only goes so far. We can only feel what we touch. We can only hear things from a certain distance. But that isn’t even our limit. Our senses aren’t just limited, our mind and comprehension is limited.
    Right now, think of a color that you’ve never seen before. A color that isn’t related to any of the colors we’ve seen so far, one that seemingly doesn’t exist. It’s impossible because our mind is limited. We are unable to see, or comprehend, what is beyond ‘our reality.’ Our Reality is what we can see, hear, taste, feel, smell, and think.
    But surely YOUR Reality isn’t the Ultimate Reality. Your Reality is different than someone is schizophrenia, or even your friend’s. They perceive different things so Their Reality is different. What do we perceive, though? Clearly, ‘you’ aren’t all that exists. You see things that are outside of what ‘you’ are. Your friend perceives things outside of who ‘they’ are.
    You aren’t making up what you perceive; your mind isn’t in control of what it perceives. If it was, we should be able to control everything about reality, like a vivid dream. Clearly this is not the case. We must be perceiving the Ultimate Reality, what everything is. The Ultimate Reality exists outside of you, but it wouldn’t be fair to say it is independent of you. You are part of the Ultimate Reality, but you, your conscious, perceive different parts of it.
    The Ultimate Reality IS everything. It’s you, your house, that dog in the alley, Russia, North America, Earth, Mars, the Milky Way, Andromeda, the Universe and beyond. It is everything, but since we are limited to our body, we are limited to only perceiving part of it. We only perceive a 4D plain, and we can only see how far our telescopes and satellites go. We can’t see anything beyond that. Our minds capabilities are limited to our experiences.
    Clearly this Ultimate Reality, what exists outside of you, is impermanent. We see this every day, it is just the nature of things. You are not the same as you were a couple seconds ago. Cells died and new ones made. Your mind, your perceptions changed. Memories added to your mind. You are different.
    One day you will die and your body will be recycled. You aren’t a separate entity. If your arm gets cut off, that arm will eventually be broken down by bacteria and such. It will be recycled. You aren’t separate; your mind just makes up this duality because of your perceptions. You will be recycled too. There is no ‘you’ to be separate. We will go into the concept of ‘non-self’ later on.
    This is just all broken down logic. So, let’s recap:
    1) You have a body and a conscious/mind.
    2) Your body and mind have limits. We understand this.
    3) We perceive things that are outside of our mind. Though, our mind computes them into our senses.
    4) Since there is something outside of our mind, we are not the only thing that exists.
    5) The things outside of our mind, everything that exists, part of the Ultimate Reality which is independent of what you perceive. It is everything and all that exists. If you were to die, it would still exist. Your body would disintegrate and your ashes would be recycled into new things.
    This 'ultimate reality' you speak of is no more ultimate or real than any other concept a mind can conjure up. I think you'll hit a dead end with than line of thought. As long as you don't confuse a dead end with enlightenment, I guess there's no harm.
    The Ultimate Reality is what everything is. I'm not quite sure you understand my thought process. Its like the Tao of Taoism. It is everything, and always changing, expanding, never the same. Its incomprehensible. How could we comprehend it? And what else would exist other than an ultimate reality? Of course, its not ultimate in the sense that it stays the same. Its ultimate in the sense that it IS EVERYTHING. There is no ultimate truth to strive for. The only truth is that there is no absolute truth. The only ultimate reality that exists is the whole of everything, but the whole is never the same. It is everything and nothing.

Hard to explain...
  • Regarding colour... colours are electromagnetic waves between about 420 and 700 nanometers in wavelength. You see the entire spectrum of colours every day. It's not impossible for the reasons you say, it's impossible because we have defined what colour is. If it doesn't fall into that part of the EM spectrum, it's not colour.

This 'Ultimate Reality™' you speak of seems to just be nature and the laws of physics. Questioning what gives rise to these laws can lead to some interesting lines of thought, but I don't understand what there is to gain from it.

Instead of thinking, I'd recommend observing. Just meditate without pondering the meaning of life. As you pointed out, we can't figure out the meaning of life or the nature of reality, however, we can observe it. So, just observe, don't try to explain it.

Sorry if I come across as argumentative, I am just not sure what purpose that pondering serves. How does it help you?

I am reading over my post and thinking "god, I sound like a jerk...". That's really not the intention, sorry. I guess there's no nice way to ask "what's your point?" =/
  • edited February 2011

We create duality, when we are just truly part of the Ultimate Reality, everything.
    so who are we that create these dualities of reality and nonrealities? and where did i put my horseradish pickle?

edited February 2011

so who are we that create these dualities of reality and nonrealities? and where did i put my horseradish pickle?

These bodies which have conscious. Consciousness is caused by the brain.

@ShiftPlusOne

There really is no "point." Theres not much point to anything. Its interesting to ponder, though.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I thought that the original post was very stirring to me. Also the hotel interesting. Even a simple object a raisin could stir infinite worlds of mental thought. So even though our senses are limited it is still boundless space. We cannot find a boundary.
  • MindGate, I first came to Buddhism out of pure curiosity and found some thing about it simply 'interesting'. Then, when my curiosity was satisfied, I went about my business as usual. After a couple of years, I found the things I've learned demonstrated themselves to be very true and relevant in everyday life. So, I came back and started studying it a bit more. I fell into a couple of traps which prevented me from progressing. Once some of those were gone, things started falling into place and making more sense. Now, once in a while, I learn about a Buddhist teaching which hits me right between the eyes and unravels something which was right in front of me the entire time, but completely out of my awareness. I never knew how afflicted with desire I was and I never figured it could be a bad thing until I realised how much I rationalised all my desires.

So here's what I am getting at... there are many teachings which help me directly or lead to a stroke of insight later down the line. They are not pointless, they make my life better and in turn, helps me appreciate the little things and be more compassionate. You could make the rather nihilistic argument that being a better person and helping others is ultimately pointless, but that's a whole other can of worms.

That leads me back to my original question... how do those ideas help you? I think they just satisfy your intellectual desires, but are ultimately a hindrance.

@Jeffrey, that's an interesting thought. "We are limited by our senses" is something I often say, however that's no excuse to let our senses hinder our minds. Thanks for that.
    That leads me back to my original question... how do those ideas help you? I think they just satisfy your intellectual desires, but are ultimately a hindrance.
    ---
    True, it just satisfies my intellectual desires.
  • Well, I am guilty of that myself, so fair enough.
    :)
    Buddhism is a way of life, a way to explain life to be happy. It doesn't explain the absolute nature of reality, though. We don't HAVE to understand it, but its nice to ponder as long as we don't get caught up in it.
  • edited February 2011
    Hehe Nice work MG.

I keep saying it because I think it's cool. A teeny tiny "piece" of Infinite Mind runs across a fertilized egg and jumps aboard for 80 years. That's not the only thing that's always happening either. All sorts of other processes are going on - too many which we can't even detect much less know while stuck here. We detect the weirdness, presence or influence of some of those things/processes thru our little sciences, we're smart enough to know there's more to everything but..., oh well..., we're stuck here. No getting out until the 80+ year old in human form expires or gets killed off before then. There're lots of good deeds to do and good things to enjoy while we're feeling this personhood in happiness and suffering. This little planet with all it's cultures and histories that were recorded. But? there's more! :D Thanks for giving me a reason to think and type this. Wishing you all well for the evening. :bowdown:
  • That kind of revealed to me something about myself. Here I am watching a cat video on youtube, while questioning what the point of what you're doing is. Lol, I am going to go do something useful now.
  • That kind of revealed to me something about myself. Here I am watching a cat video on youtube, while questioning what the point of what you're doing is. Lol, I am going to go do something useful now.
    Consider it done.

:D
  • The Omnipresent Mind juice flowings between the Dharma Blocks of ever-abiding empty reality of Farreaching Space Dust Implosion Squiggles!!!!!
    The Omnipresent Mind juice flowings between the Dharma Blocks of ever-abiding empty reality of Farreaching Space Dust Implosion Squiggles!!!!!
    That sounded dirty. :p
    edited February 2011
    I think I understand it all now...

There is no "absolute" reality. Just Ultimate Reality, which is always changing, always different. There Ultimate Reality, everything, is something that right now we can't understand. We can't grasp it. Its always changing, everything is always changing. We see and understand this. Once we understand there is nothing to cling to, we stop clinging.

Since there is no absolute reality, there is no 'true' meaning to life. We give ourselves purpose. Our purpose is typically to be happy and cultivate happiness for others. Though, due to people's wrong views, they typically go about being happy unskillfully. Through skillful behavior and the understanding that there is no ultimate truth and there is nothing to cling to, we can be happy. We become happy by just being happy, then. Its as simple as that.

There is not ultimate good or bad. Just skillful and unskillful. What brings happiness to us and what doesn't. Its not the same in all situations, so we must be mindful. Everything is changing, we shouldn't cling. Theres nothing independant that exists on its own. It will always change, never be the same way. We can't cling. It brings unhappiness. Just be happy at every moment with your current position. Just do it. :)

There is no Ultimate, Absolute Reality to understand, and we are limited anyways to see beyond the horizon of our view. There is no ultimate truth. We just need to be happy, bring happiness to others. The Ultimate is never the same. We will sometime die and be recycled. So, we should just enjoy our time that we know we have here anyways.

Much metta to you all. :)
  • I think I understand it all now...
    that nature of as it isness

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @MindGate, Nah. I think you're trying to understand someone else's point of view and creating an intellectual framework that fits the facts. Scientific theory. :D I think this is what we all do, but it stops us short, literally. If we try to nail it down, package it up all nice and neat, and say "there, done!"... what then? A former member of the forum thought they had all the answers, that there was nothing left to learn, but consistently showed through actions and argumentative/bad-tempered postings that he/she was far from free of the suffering we humans endure.

Our suffering isn't born from not having a good working theory on how the universe works; it's entirely born of craving and then attachment/clinging. Coming to conclusions isn't the answer, even if the conclusion is that there aren't any answers. Abandoning the craving is the end of suffering, and the Noble Eightfold Path is the way.
    edited February 2011
    @MindGate, Nah. I think you're trying to understand someone else's point of view and creating an intellectual framework that fits the facts. Scientific theory. :D I think this is what we all do, but it stops us short, literally. If we try to nail it down, package it up all nice and neat, and say "there, done!"... what then? A former member of the forum thought they had all the answers, that there was nothing left to learn, but consistently showed through actions and argumentative/bad-tempered postings that he/she was far from free of the suffering we humans endure.

Our suffering isn't born from not having a good working theory on how the universe works; it's entirely born of craving and then attachment/clinging. Coming to conclusions isn't the answer, even if the conclusion is that there aren't any answers. Abandoning the craving is the end of suffering, and the Noble Eightfold Path is the way.
    Right. The Eightfold Path is the way to act skillfully. Though, the ideas of not-self and impermanence is also needed to understand the nature of things to help drop attachment. I consider these for things to be of the utmost importance:

4 noble truths (explains that suffering is caused by attachment)
    Eightfold path (explains how to act skillfully)
    Not-self (explains the nature of things)
    Impermanence (explains the nature of things)

• Thoughts will always continue to arise. Grasping onto them as solid is what is meant by clinging. But the creative power of the mind continues after nirvana is reached. And the power of the mind to conceptualize.
    The 4 noble truths and eightfold path are concepts. Not-self, Dependant origin are concepts, impermanence is a concept. Everything is a concept.

What I'm saying is:

Everything is always in flux, changing. Nothing is ever the same at any moment. There is nothing to be attached to. There is nothing separate from anything else. Again, there is nothing to be attached to.

Once you understand that, you can stop being attached. Following the eightfold path will help you to do that.
  • @MindGate, That's true you need to understand those things, but there's really no truth in them. I mean there is, but the process of mental transformation isn't the thinking part where you understand Anicca and the like. It's an actual change in the way the mind functions that develops through meditation. I would drop things like "there is no absolute reality, just ultimate reality" like a hot rock... that's drawing conclusions conceptually. Once you draw your conclusions about reality conceptually to such a degree, you'll begin attaching to those conclusions and they may in fact hinder you. Know what I mean? If this was anything except Buddhism...
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Even after you intellectually realize THAT a person may still be attached. Just observe your negative emotions and practice mindfully and you see how you are attached to your lifestyle, body, ideas, states and other impermanent things. Its a great motivation to practice.

And to refine your intellectual ideas I would point out that there is no change yet still process. Because there is no reference point there can be no change. To judge relative position.
  • edited February 2011
    Cloud said;"Our suffering isn't born from not having a good working theory on how the universe works; it's entirely born of craving and then attachment/clinging. Coming to conclusions isn't the answer, even if the conclusion is that there aren't any answers. Abandoning the craving is the end of suffering, and the Noble Eightfold Path is the way."

cloud, so if you stab the monk in the hand with a fork, he has to be craving pain to feel anything, there's a lot more causes of suffering than just craving, though it is certainly one of the causes. also having a set belief of how the universe works can psychologically help some a lot, it wont end suffering but it can help reduce it some. maybe i'm even disagreeing with the buddha, but I'M ALLOWED TO DISAGREE, its a wonderful part of our religion.
    edited February 2011
    @MindGate, That's true you need to understand those things, but there's really no truth in them. I mean there is, but the process of mental transformation isn't the thinking part where you understand Anicca and the like. It's an actual change in the way the mind functions that develops through meditation. I would drop things like "there is no absolute reality, just ultimate reality" like a hot rock... that's drawing conclusions conceptually. Once you draw your conclusions about reality conceptually to such a degree, you'll begin attaching to those conclusions and they may in fact hinder you. Know what I mean? If this was anything except Buddhism...
    I'm not quite sure that people understand my idea of ultimate and absolute.

Absolute is something set in stone. Clearly there is nothing set in stone. In fact, logically, it doesn't seem like there could be.

By ultimate, I mean 'everything.' Its another term I use for 'everything.' Since there is no absolute reality (a reality set in stone), all that exists is a changing, progressing ultimate reality (everything in general).

Understand now?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @MindGate,
    The ways of things stay the same.
    Things themselves arise and fall, ever changing from this into that, no self essence.

That is about as much as I'd say, and even that could be off the mark. :D

My point was simply to not let your mind get set in stone; your ideas. We try and take the teachings of Buddhism and understand them (as we should), but if we try and come up with all of the conclusions conceptually (the big picture), those conclusions aren't what we're actually looking for (they are still simply the reflection of the moon, not the moon itself). That's all. We don't even need to talk about this anymore. :) I just hope you're careful to stay flexible and keep meditating.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    There is never anything solid to change into something else. Yet it appears that way.

The world of appearances is where we practice and it brings us out of our heads and into the world. Eventually in the 10th oxherder picture http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Bulls we return to the market.
  • sorry i gave you a hard time cloud, youre usually pretty spot on.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @formermonkJohn, Don't worry about it, and don't assume I'm ever spot on. Just because you agree with me doesn't mean I'm right; that just means we could both be wrong! :) Doubt others and doubt yourself, in all things. I'm constantly questioning myself (not talking to myself...). Staying open and flexible, able to re-evaluate and change your perspective with anything new that comes up, is vital. Otherwise we're clinging and may miss the truth because we dismiss it outright when it disagrees with our views.
    I understand what I'm saying, and it makes sense to me. No one else needs to understand it.

Everything is always changing, progressing, etc. We shouldn't cling because we can't cling. Be mindful and use skillful actions. Pretty simple.
  • Don't misunderstand that to mean to withdraw from life. Avoiding life is what is meant in buddhism by ignorance whereas bringing awareness and courage to situations is the path. Of course each person grows at their own rate and it is gradual. I think you have the right idea exactly though, but I am speaking from my own experience in which I had a mistaken idea of impermanence lead me to live life less fully.

Namaste!
  • edited February 2011
    mind gate, well yes, but... if you're participating on a public forum you should at least try to make what is perfect sense to you, understandable to others, otherwise you're like someone posting in a foreign language that only you understand, im not saying you, mind gate, but i've seen this on this forum, that's why i spoke.