Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

marijuana and spiritual practice

edited February 2011 in General Banter
have you heard of specifically the Gorokhnat babas in India using the plant as part of their spiritual practice?
they invoke Gorokhnat as they inhale using a pipe - and then meditate.

what are your thoughts on this?

Comments

• They can do whatever they want. It's none of our business.
  • marijuana only helped my non spiritual practise, ruined my ability to meditate/pray, and got me locked up, serious suffering, many times, the buddha taught that a clear mind free from addictions is the best way, many people think they are smarter than the buddha and continue to do drugs, that's their problem, not mine......
  • edited February 2011
    Do we really need yet another thread about cannabis? How is it "Advanced Ideas"? Non prescription drugs including weed are discouraged by all the main Buddhist traditions.
  • These cults absolutely fascinate me. Here is the myth behind this particular one, involving the birth of Gorokhnat. Now, I'm not making fun of this Hindu sect. Even Buddha has his birth myths involving a sacred white elephant. Just showing how fascinating birth stories of different belief systems can be.

One who practices Yoga is called a Yogi. Matsyendranath was such a Siddha or Yogi. Even today he is worshipped in Nepal. God Siva taught Matsyendranath the secrets of Yoga.

Matsyendranath was a Yogi who supposedly learned the secrets of yoga from God himself. He used to beg for a little good at some house or other. One day as usual he went a house and asked for alms.

The lady of the house came out. Seeing that he was a Yogi, the woman said: "Holy Sir, shall we have a child at all?"

Matsyendranath gave her a little sacred ash and said: "Please swallow this. You will be blessed with a child." (editor's note: One of the common magic tricks performed by Gurus in India today is to produce "holy ash" from their closed fist to impress the crowd and duplicate the miracles told in the stories. This magic trick appears to be one of the "secrets" passed on from teacher to disciple).

The lady told her neighbour. The neighbour said: "Do not believe these Yogis. Some of them are cheats!" So the lady of the house threw the sacred ash away on a rubbish heap at the back of her house, and forgot all about it.

After twelve years, Matsyendranath called at the same house. He asked the lady: "How is your child doing?"

The lady told him what had happened. Matsyendranath asked for her: "Where did you throw the ash?"

She pointed: "There, on the rubbish heap.

"Matsyendranath went to where the rubbish was, and prayed for a while. Then he called: "Son, come here!" From out of the heap came a boy of twelve years.

Seeing him, the lady fell at the feet of the Yogi and begged for forgiveness.

Matsyendranath took the boy away with him.

This boy was Gorokhnat, who went on to become a great yogi himself.

• edited February 2011
    deleted
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Some Hindu yogis, babas etc. use cannabis yes. Many shamans from other forms of spirituality also use other various drugs for spiritual purposes. However, none of them are Buddhists.
  • methinks the yogi kidnapped a 12 yr old boy and placed him on the rubbish heap, rubbish is a good term for pot IMO
  • Do we really need yet another thread about cannabis? How is it "Advanced Ideas"? Non prescription drugs including weed are discouraged by all the main Buddhist traditions.
    Whilst I have a personal preference not to engage in online discussion about 'recreational' or 'spiritual' drug use, there is an interesting underlying question here. As someone who takes a significant number of daily meds and have been doing so for the last 16 or 17 years, I can say that taking prescription drugs has its downside too. I can testify to, for example, chemically-induced suicidal ideation as a result of anti-depressants and blood-pressure fluctuations from prostate meds. Whereas the drugs control the symptoms and physical signs, they also put pebbles in my shoes as I walk the path.

My decision to finish taking anti-depressants was taken with medical and family support, and went well (D.g.) Stopping beta blockers was something that I considered for a long time and where I decided that I would live with the 'pebble'.

We really do need to take seriously that very chemical we take into our bodies will have an effect throughout the homeostasis that I call 'Simon'. The result is that we need deliberately and with fullest awareness to engage with the consequences, enabling our practice to evolve to take them into account. My own experience (again, sorry), these 'pebbles' can become very useful moment-by-moment reminders in a world that seems dedicated to distracting me.

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    Moved to General Banter.
  • @Lincoln: More appropriate, I think. Thank you. I don't really take much notice of the categories as the threads are presented hugger-mugger on the opening page.
  • I'm fed up of the topic! Everyone knows that its only skunk that's available these days ! ;)
  • I am trying to widen out the discussion and, perhaps, learn something new from others' experience, something more than a simple "Thou shalt not".
  • I would be interested to experience for myself. But I don't break the law.
  • I would be interested to experience for myself. But I don't break the law.
    Some genuine honesty. Thank you, Jeffrey.

• have you heard of specifically the Gorokhnat babas in India using the plant as part of their spiritual practice?
    they invoke Gorokhnat as they inhale using a pipe - and then meditate.

what are your thoughts on this?
    ah - i have met with several of these babas in my early teens - and took ordination from them into their tradition. their work with the plant is very sacred and should never be compared with drugs. also remember that the babas grow their own plants which makes a big difference.

the tradition has to be transmitted orally to you, and for that you need various processes and conditions - but they are very interesting and deliver good quality teachings.

is there any reason that you mention this? i know their teachings are not that popular in the west.
  • The way I see it is that the idea that some drugs are 'illegal' and some drugs are 'prescription' should not be factored into the discussion. These ideas are man made for whatever reason and are not really relevant in the search for understanding.

As a musician, I have had some experience with marijuana and I found it worked quite well as an aid to being 'in the moment' - nothing else mattered except the single note that I was playing at the time. I also found it to be an aid in reducing the ties to preconceived ideas. Some of these ideas had been my own and some of them were imposed on me by people such as parents or teachers and some by society itself.

I think one of the reasons marijuana is still illegal is because it helps promote alternate ways of thinking that may interfere with 'the system' but that is a subject for another thread.

All that being said, I believe that once a person is open to alternate ways of thinking, it is best to carry on with a clear mind free from any restraints. Whether those restraints are caused by preconceived notions or intoxicants, they will interfere with one's practice and i believe should be removed/avoided.

Personally I am glad I had the experiences that I did and now I choose to carry on with as much clarity and control as I can.
  • fifth precept

personal choice, still....

fifth precept
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I think everyone knows my view on this.
  • i don't please share
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I think repeated discussions on marijuana are totally boring. we've had so many discussions on the topic, we might even get raided by proxy. Just do a thread search, for goodness' sake....:rolleyes:
    And I don't hold with any discussion whatsoever, where there is the slightest hint of encouragement or advocacy, agreement or condoning of trying any recreational drugs just for the helluvit. None.
    I have been known to shut threads if that happens.
    It's not something which should ever appear on a Buddhist forum.
  • If you want to smoke weed as part of a "spiritual practice" then you will get on well with Rastafarians and "Cantheists" (see: http://cantheism.com/default.aspx).

But if you believe, like I do, that the best way to discover Truth must be with a clear and sober mind, then you might find that Buddhism resonates with you.

About the only "spiritual lesson" I learnt from smoking pot is that smoking pot not only doesn't help one on the Spiritual Path, but actually hinders one's progress. Smoking pot on a regular basis can lead to doubt, to worry, to physical and mental restlessness, to laziness/lack of energy/lack of enthusiasm, to addiction to sensual pleasures. These things are all major obstacles to anyone who wants to purify their minds.

Sure, pot makes you feel good for a little while, but the more you indulge it the more you NEED to indulge in it and consequently the worse the side-effects become. On the Spiritual Path, pot is a dead end. I say this from experience.
  • When I still smoked Cannabis I found that instead of reducing me into a giggling mess or making me act like a complete fool, it began to open my mind by quite a bit. After one particular Summer of heavy smoking (I was under the influence nearly all day, every day) it felt like a very vivid dream. I would spend days out in the forest doing nothing but thinking, and drinking water.

I only stopped to smoke more and eventually that Summer ended, by then I was very interested in spiritual pursuits. I was no longer utterly consumed by the need to gain money, I no longer sought pleasures of the flesh with a single-minded tenacity. I can honestly say that while smoking Cannabis, I had a revelation that I should stop doing so.

I have no moral objections to it, and I judge no one for smoking it, no matter their reasons. I however will never partake of it again, but only because I feel I no longer need to, not because I am clinging to some idea that it is bad.
  • I think repeated discussions on marijuana are totally boring. we've had so many discussions on the topic, we might even get raided by proxy. Just do a thread search, for goodness' sake....:rolleyes:
    And I don't hold with any discussion whatsoever, where there is the slightest hint of encouragement or advocacy, agreement or condoning of trying any recreational drugs just for the helluvit. None.
    I have been known to shut threads if that happens.
    It's not something which should ever appear on a Buddhist forum.
    I hope that I was not out of line with my post.

I was only trying to contribute to the discussion because I thought that, because of my experience, I had some insight to offer.

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I think one of the reasons marijuana is still illegal is because it helps promote alternate ways of thinking that may interfere with 'the system' but that is a subject for another thread.
    I would argue the exact opposite:- that smoking pot is advertised BY 'the system' to look like a rebellious act against 'the system' when in actual fact it is exactly what the controllers of 'the system' want; the dumbing down (in this case, voluntarily) of the masses. Look at how 'cool' it is made to look in any modern mindless teenage party movie. People like to think they 'choose' to get high (or engage in any other form of addictive or self-destructive behaviour), but the truth (as I see it) is they are just socially conditioned to do so.
  • I think one of the reasons marijuana is still illegal is because it helps promote alternate ways of thinking that may interfere with 'the system' but that is a subject for another thread.
    I would argue the exact opposite:- that smoking pot is advertised BY 'the system' to look like a rebellious act against 'the system' when in actual fact it is exactly what the controllers of 'the system' want; the dumbing down (in this case, voluntarily) of the masses. Look at how 'cool' it is made to look in any modern mindless teenage party movie. People like to think they 'choose' to get high (or engage in any other form of addictive or self-destructive behaviour), but the truth (as I see it) is they are just socially conditioned to do so.
    ...what?
  • edited February 2011
    "I would argue the exact opposite:- that smoking pot is advertised BY 'the system' to look like a rebellious act against 'the system' when in actual fact it is exactly what the controllers of 'the system' want; the dumbing down (in this case, voluntarily) of the masses. Look at how 'cool' it is made to look in any modern mindless teenage party movie. People like to think they 'choose' to get high (or engage in any other form of addictive or self-destructive behaviour), but the truth (as I see it) is they are just socially conditioned to do so."

Smoking isnt advertised by the system, I don't know what you're talking about. Cigarettes and alcohol kill over a half million people each year and they are perfectly legal. Yet you see above the influence commercials that are funded by those same alcohol and tobacco companies. The system as it is now is corrupt

• edited February 2011
    For me, without Marijuana I would never have been introduced to the Buddhist path in the first place. It has made me a more compassionate and empathetic individual. While it has benefits such as sparking creativity, insight, and epiphone (sp?) otherwise not accessible, it's biggest downside is, like anything else, it can be very attaching. You have to let the plant revolve around your life and not vice versa. Take breaks often to exercise self-control. I don't believe marijuana is productive to meditation at all in my opinion. In my experience marijuana just makes it harder to focus. For meditation I need a clear and lucid mind. Both marijuana and meditation are useful tools in spiritual development, but not together. And of course, mindfulness always comes first before smoking weed.