Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I bought one of those Dumies book on meditation

edited February 2011 in Meditation
Hi

I bought one of those Dummies book a while ago and never really read it. Until today, Its actually pretty good its by Stephen Bodian and he is refering to a lot of authors that I have heard the names of here (ie: jon Kabat Zinn and Thich Nhat Hanh) It has a few good meditations in there - but Im curious has anyone read this or tried this. I've just read an exercise in there called 'reflecting on your life' sort of where your thinking your about to die and reflecting on things you would do differently!

Has anyone tried a wide variety of them and then had a bad experience? See if its one thing i've learnt about myself while doing my basic meditations is that im pretty good at bottling things up. And then post meditation i start thinking about stuff.

light lotus

Comments

• I have not read the Dummies books, but I have read Peace is Every Step by Thich Nhat Hanh, and I have read some other books as well as many online buddhist sites. I am simply a buddhist and wouldn't consider myself to fall under Theravada or Mahayana, I simply learn all the teachings and extract what I can from them.

And if anything, a bad experience is actually a good experience. You have obviously just obtained some insight into yourself, and found a way you can improve yourself. What is the bad experience in that? My worst experience was after I had started meditating daily, and after about a week, I started meditating and got about 5 minutes into it before I started to feel this profound, extreme sadness. I understand it is not bad now, it is only getting in better touch with myself and seeing my true inner emotions so that I may correct them, but at first it scared me because I didn't understand it and thought meditation was supposed to make you happy.

• I have felt like that too lately - but its not a sadness its like i've had a pair of rose tinted glasses smacked off my face :D i've suddenly become a deep thinker and see things clearer. I kind of dont want to unlock anything bad that i've repressed all this time. I just want to move forward and not look back.