Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Brain Development May Start With Surprisingly Bad Wiring

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited February 2011 in General Banter

Very early in life, neurons in the brain begin forming connections with one another. But it turns out that during normal development, a startling number can link up to the wrong cells and must be pushed back in the right direction, according to a new study on baby mice.

The finding, detailed Feb. 8 in the journal PLoS Biology, could shed light on brain disorders such as autism, according to one researcher. Mice are often used as a model for human biology, and the researchers think a similar phenomenon occurs in humans.

An international research team made their discovery by observing the development of the cerebellum – a region of the brain responsible for motor control and also linked with attention, language and emotion in humans. During the first three weeks after a mouse is born, the neurons of the cerebellum connect to one another by forming synapses.

http://www.livescience.com/12777-brain-development-start-surprisingly-bad-wiring.html

Comments

• i find myself very much like a mouse, now if i can just find where i left my cheese!!
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    i find myself very much like a mouse, now if i can just find where i left my cheese!!
    Lol!
  • i find myself very much like a mouse, now if i can just find where i left my cheese!!
    Very sad for human, becoming mouse-like. you may have left it at pastamania :p
  • thanks for the link - makes for interesting reading. lucky for me i know people who teach you to rewire your brain! :-)