Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

about tai chi...

zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifelessin a dry wasteland Veteran
edited February 2011 in General Banter
it should be noted that my interest in tai chi is not as a martial art, i enjoy it for the physical and mental benefits of the body.

in the past, i have attended a few classes and i know a few moves. i do these from time to time as part of my general daily stretches, but i always find myself wondering... what is the point of these moves? i admit that i have only taken away a very small fraction of that which i was taught, and this has led me to seek out internet sources for trying to incorporate more moves. but the problem with learning this way is that i am too conscious of trying to do the moves correctly while being unable to ascertain what i should be correcting. of course, posture and the like is important, but i find myself wondering, would it be any different if i just made up my own moves? is there any inherent strength or power in the specific moves themselves? if i was to create moves while keeping my posture correct and my balance appropriate, wouldn't it be just the same?

thanks in advance for any comments :)

Comments

• The moves are used for focusing chi into and through different areas and chakras of the body. I practiced it for a little while but didnt see any true benefit. I think Yoga is more effective for practicing mindfulness and concentration as well as cultivating patience and balance.
  • I would have to agree with Talisman. If you want to practice mindfulness and gain more internal power that has to do with your bodies chakras yoga may be more beneficial for you. Some types of Qigong could help you too.

But Taichi can help a lot with joints. It makes your knees stronger, it makes you more flexible (yoga can do this too). However, in my experience, those moves you're learning in Taichi are martial applications. I've learned from Taichi masters that learned in China that have shown me that what looks like dance moves are actually fighting applications. It's a matter of knowing what they're supposed to do, and knowing how to use them well.

There is also a build up of chi you learn from Taichi, where expert practitioners are able to harden their skin, and able to not be thrown as easily. This takes many years of practice to master, and really I think it is more for fighting prowess than anything else. So Taichi can help you with many things, but at its core taught properly it's a fighting art. Yoga is Taichi without the fighting applications.
  • I don't know about Tai Chi, but Qi Gong can be very helpful. I notice a difference in sense of well-being and quality of sleep when I do Qi Gong. It feeds Qi into your system and helps keep you healthy, or correct imbalances. And no, it's not the same if you make up your own moves. The moves are based on an ancient science.
  • if i was to create moves while keeping my posture correct and my balance appropriate, wouldn't it be just the same?
    It's not about posture and balance. It's about facilitating the movement of Qi around the body. Qi has its own properties; it moves upwards or downwards depending on what part of the body is involved, for example. So you need to know the workings of Qi in order to devise movements that achieve the results you're looking for (strengthening kidney Qi, or whatever). And posture and balance have to be correct in order for the energy to flow effectively.

I hope this helps.
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    Tai Chi is also a form of satipaṭṭhāna meditation...

Meditation being a process of conscious, controlled focus of the mind which may take place when the thinking processes, both in pictures and in words, have been stopped.

The purpose of a satipatthana exercise is to quiet the mind-- to get it to stop output-- but keep it busy with inputs until it develops a habit of becoming quiet ( refraining from all thought ) during the exercise. When this has been achieved, the mind is ready to begin to meditate.

Many people practice Tai Chi Chuan form exclusively for health or as a prelude to Push Hands or self defense. As many of the people do not make any particular effort to keep their minds empty during their practice of Tai Chi Chuan, for them Tai Chi Chuan is probably not meditation.
  • Good point, johnathan. Tai Chi and Qi Gung are meditation.
  • I enjoyed attending Tai Chi classes in the past, when there was one locally in the evenings. I found it helped my physical flexibility as well as aid relaxation a lot, especially after teaching in a busy inner city school in the daytime.
    The instructor also used to have a short sitting meditation to finish off with us at the end of the Tai Chi session.
  • Has anyone done both tai chi and qi gong and found one to be more effective than the other? I've been looking for lessons to go to locally and just wondered if anyone found one more effective. I'm a huge yoga fan worked for me as my instructor blends meditation in too! Just keen to add more to my keep fit mix!

LL
  • Has anyone done both tai chi and qi gong and found one to be more effective than the other? I've been looking for lessons to go to locally and just wondered if anyone found one more effective. I'm a huge yoga fan worked for me as my instructor blends meditation in too! Just keen to add more to my keep fit mix!

LL
    I have done both Qigong and Taichi a good while. I think it depends more on the teacher for both styles. But in my experience Taichi was more fun for me to learn, and benefit my physical well being more than Qigong. You could feel the strength that Taichi gave you very early on, and it was fun to practice.

Qigong is a bit more supernatural. It requires a very skilled Qigong teacher to make it effective compared to how good the Taichi teacher has to be. Taichi is easier to learn and easier to teach if you want results. In other words 90 percent of Qigong is not effective. I don't want to talk down my Qigong teachers, because I loved them. But I do feel a lot of the techniques they taught were not very effective at what they were supposed to do.

Taichi has more physical benefits that are felt quicker in my experience. But I'm sure Qigong has the potential of being just as beneficial. My Qigong teacher was spiritual, and from him I learned a lot of very beneficial Buddhism and some great stories. So even though I don't know how well the Qigong works it was still beneficial for me.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    if i was to create moves while keeping my posture correct and my balance appropriate, wouldn't it be just the same?
    It's not about posture and balance. It's about facilitating the movement of Qi around the body. Qi has its own properties; it moves upwards or downwards depending on what part of the body is involved, for example. So you need to know the workings of Qi in order to devise movements that achieve the results you're looking for (strengthening kidney Qi, or whatever). And posture and balance have to be correct in order for the energy to flow effectively.

I hope this helps.
    hm, very interesting. i guess this is what i was looking for as an answer to my question.

please don't take this the wrong way, but i'm a pretty skeptical person... how do you even know that qi exists? i could be wrong, but i thought that i heard once that the qi pathways were found to follow the nervous system quite closely. with modern science, have they found any explainable reason that things like qigong benefit the body? (more so than just movement, like i was suggesting)

• Qigong is a bit more supernatural. It requires a very skilled Qigong teacher to make it effective compared to how good the Taichi teacher has to be. Taichi is easier to learn and easier to teach if you want results. In other words 90 percent of Qigong is not effective. I don't want to talk down my Qigong teachers, because I loved them. But I do feel a lot of the techniques they taught were not very effective at what they were supposed to do.

I absolutly agree - not that Im making these these two forms connect in anyway but I did Pilates for a few years and that made me tone but i got nothing more out of it yoga and meditation together is brilliant. The reason I asked is because it is easier to find Tai Chi lesson than Qi Qong ones and I sort of wondered if that was because Qi Qong was more beneficial. I found a Qi Qong workout on one of the satellite channel and was trying out some of the moves and i kept having to stop and realised its a more complex than I thought. Its does all depend on the teacher.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I love questions like this, ZG! Unfortunately, science hasn't investigated Qi. I think it's partly related to the electro-magnetic field, which science knows exists, but they haven't gotten into the details. It's only fairly recently that instruments have been developed that can measure the human electrical charge, anyway. But I discovered after taking a good Qi Gong course, that I could feel the Qi in my hands. (Subjective, to be sure.) I don't know of any studies done in China or Taiwan of Qi, but maybe there are.

• There's a book by a scientist named Becker, called "The Body Electric". He gives a very thorough description of how the body's electro-magnetic field works, and describes electrical pathways along the acupuncture meridians and how they work.  This might help you, Zombiegirl, although Tai Chi and Qi Gong aren't discussed specifically.

• Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited February 2011
    For the matter of whether Qi is "real" or not, I think even if it could be proven a lot of people would still remain skeptical to the supernatural. Because the majority of the Chinese believe in Qi this is their medical system for so many years (Eastern Medicine). But just because it is unknown to the west many tend to put it aside as fantasy due to them not growing up with it being so prevalent in their lives.

Even myself, I am still a little bit skeptical of Qi, but I am an open minded skeptic and I don't at all dismiss it. Here is a good video I found though, that I do feel is genuine. From my Qigong teacher I heard many stories about his teachers in China that were just like this, even before I saw the video. So this video hit home for me, and it impressed me.

Here is also another Qigong master that I like watching a lot. He is grand master Doo Wai located in Los Angeles. He is the grand master of the "White Tiger Kung Fu" school. I like the way he teaches Qigong, because he insists;
    "Try it, if it doesn't work then don't do it."
    I have also heard rumors that his students get so good at Qigong that the intermediate or advanced students are tested with dead insects that they themselves can bring back to life or make them move like they recently died with the power of Qi in their hands. I have also heard that the advanced students can shock you enough for you to feel it.

So this guy is old school Qigong and I would not doubt that he is the real deal. I would have gone to learn from him long ago if I could, but I heard that one of his students (I'm not sure how good they're) teaches his Qigong class rather than him. So that discouraged me a bit, since I wanted to learn from him directly. But anyways here is one of his videos too.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    dakini, i've also had that experience of "feeling the qi" in my hands. it is interesting, but i have always wondered if it is just a trick of my own mind.

compassionate_warrior, thank you very much for the book recommendation. i think i have heard of that before, but it could just sound familiar because there was also an episode of the twilight zone (i think?) called something like, "i sing the body electric" lol

mr serenity, awesome video! oddly enough, just two days ago i had a massage client who was telling me about his troubles with his back. years ago, he dislocated 3 ribs and 2 vertebrae. he had seen many chiropractors who never did anything for him, but he met this guy who did a very similar healing to that video. he said the guy simply ran his hand along his back and his ribs and vertebrae instantly realigned. (granted, i should mention that i could tell he still had some misalignment problems, the point is that it was BETTER) this healer has a martial arts school (and an alternative healing clinic) about an hour away from me. i'm very interested in this sort of thing so i thought i might check it out.

i do wonder though... would qigong masters agree that qi is basically the body's electro-magnetic field? and as far as healing applications, would this be the same as using an E-STIM machine? i suppose, the real question is, aside from toning muscles, why would electric current be beneficial to the body?

...maybe i should just read that book. hm.