Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Reason We Are Here Is To Improve Our Karma?

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited February 2011 in Philosophy
The Reason We Are Here Is To Improve Our Karma?
That's our purpose?
True or False?
Why?

Comments

• edited February 2011
    What?? Who told you /that/?
    The reason we're here is to progress towards Enlightenment, and to alleviate suffering for self and others.
  • We are here to find our true nature. Then save all beings.

karma is our conditioning. it's our thought, feeling, belief patterns that we've acquired.

i choose to brush my teeth everyday = good teeth
    i choose to not brush my teeth = bad teeth

there is a choice (freewill) but things are determined by our actions (bad or good teeth).

when ones true nature is found, all karma is seen as empty of any inherent existence.
    karma is just seen as thought, feeling, and belief patterns. when one detaches from that, they are liberated into nirvana.

though i have heard that enlighten beings have past karma (from past lives, i don't know anything about reincarnation) that they are working with to achieve full enlightenment. sometimes our conditioning is so deep that we need to constantly extinguish the flame. we do this in the present moment, with total mindfulness.

we see a thought arise and we choose to either act on it or to not act on it.
    it is what it is. Response verse reaction.

In zen we make note that our true nature cannot be defiled, even though we have karma.
    Imagine your true nature as the sky and everything else (thoughts, feelings, beliefs) as clouds.
    We are the sky. The clouds go in and out of existences.

TLDR: absolutely, karma is empty. relatively, karma is our thought, feeling, belief patterns we've acquired.

hope this clears much up.
  • The Reason We Are Here Is To Improve Our Karma?
    That's our purpose?
    True or False?
    Why?
    Well yes and no. If you want to look at it in the manner that all actions have reactions, etc., etc., then in a way yes. However if I were to take up buddhism and strive for enlightenment with the sole purpose of obtaining freedom from samsara then although we may be causing positive reactions (for ourselves and others) we would have the wrong intention. And even in this manner if we strived to gain good karma, and we did receive it, we would still be wanting and striving and nothing would change. It is because of that then that there are not just two types of Karma: Good and bad, but also a 3rd: no karma.

The purpose as afore mentioned by the others I would agree with. If a person were to get caught up in simply doing good and "creating good karma" then they themselves would not become enlightened. Don't desire good karma. Don't make it the ultimate goal. Let it go and you have no karma and everything is in balance.
  • bodhicitta. motivation is important. it gets your there, but i hear after enlightenment even bodhicitta is cast aside.

we come to buddhism wanting freedom from suffering, we leave buddhism want to save all beings.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    What?? Who told you /that/?
    The reason we're here is to progress towards Enlightenment, and to alleviate suffering for self and others.
    Myself and a few things I have read.
    What is enlightenment in your eyes?
    I wonder if we asked a person who is enlighten if he would even know...
    As I do not think enlightened people are even concerned with that type of thought.
    bodhicitta. motivation is important. it gets your there, but i hear after enlightenment even bodhicitta is cast aside.

we come to buddhism wanting freedom from suffering, we leave buddhism want to save all beings.
    Save our selfs first and then help others basically.
  • What?? Who told you /that/?
    Myself and a few things I have read.
    What is enlightenment in your eyes?
    I wonder if we asked a person who is enlighten if he would even know...
    As I do not think enlightened people are even concerned with that type of thought.

• how can we save others if we haven't save ourselves?

we can try. meow
  • imo, we are here because are parents had sexual intercourse

if we experience suffering, we are here to find a solution to it (if we feel the need)

:)
  • ha very bluntly put, but true!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    In the many lives model there is no beginning but enlightenment is the end. Therefore we have created an infinite amount of both positive and negative karma. Any karma can ripen so any state heaven or hell may occur.

So the only type of karma worth cultivating is that which liberates us from this cycle of suffering. Which is true in the single life situation too. Though karma to remember to take the cookies out of the oven in time is also key ;)
    imo, we are here because are parents had sexual intercourse

if we experience suffering, we are here to find a solution to it (if we feel the need)

:)
    What if we are here to help our parents with their parenting?
  • <
    Save our selfs first and then help others basically.
    Very basically, yes. Because in finding enlightenment ourselves, we then gain ever more skillful means to help others. our help is more effective.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    What if we are here to help our parents with their parenting?
    RIGHT ON, Leon!! How perceptive of you! I totally believe that happens, in some cases. :thumbsup:
  • We can't model ourselves on someone who falls short themselves. That's the blind leading the blind. What's more if you have someone 'holier than thou' casting aspersion then the chances of a fight breaking out tend to increase.

Perhaps another thing to note is that even when you are really good at something no-one bothers asking because they're all content doing it wrong or following someone else who appears to know what they're talking about.

Maybe someone here knows what I'm talking about.. I do wonder sometimes.
  • We can't model ourselves on someone who falls short themselves. That's the blind leading the blind. What's more if you have someone 'holier than thou' casting aspersion then the chances of a fight breaking out tend to increase.
    Maybe someone here knows what I'm talking about.. I do wonder sometimes.
    I have no clue, Socks, but please let us know when you figure it out.
    I think what Leon had in mind is that some children come into this world with their own wisdom, and troubled parents would do well to pay attention to these little teachers.

• I think maybe there's two mini threads going on here- my comments were sparked off by CWs post.

But anyway I agree with what you said Dakini!
  • ok, Socks, but I still don't get it. I'm sincerely trying to understand your post. You're saying it relates to the post on enlightenment, skillful means in helping others? Oh well. Can't win 'em all. Thanks, anyway. ;)
  • Well our parents are exemplary and about as close to gods as we're gonna get and I'm pretty sure your mum and dad don't model themselves on you although I admit that we can teach the 'old dog some new tricks'

anyway :)
  • Ah, thank you, Socks. It all makes sense now. :)
    But that's part of the problem with kids seeing their parents as gods. They can be benevolent gods, or wrathful gods, in the case of troubled or unskilled parents. Lots of parents aren't what I would call "exemplary", not in the usual sense of setting a positive example.