Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Earthquake In Christchurch

PalzangPalzang Veteran
edited February 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Yesterday a 6.3 magnitude earthquake struck the city of Christchurch in New Zealand devastating the city, causing massive damage to buildings, killing at least 65 people, and trapping unknown numbers in collapsed buildings. Please hold them in your prayers and, if possible, contribute to relief organizations.

May all benefit from our efforts.

Palzang

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I pray recovery will be swift !
  • And while you're at it, please remember to pray for those in the Arab world, particularly in Libya, who are undergoing severe suffering and death at the hands of their leaders. It is quite horrible what is going on in Libya, but hardly surprising considering the mental state of their insane leader.
  • edited February 2011
    And while you're at it, please remember to pray for those in the Arab world, particularly in Libya, who are undergoing severe suffering and death at the hands of their leaders. It is quite horrible what is going on in Libya, but hardly surprising considering the mental state of their insane leader.
    Maybe, one of the foresight of Master An Shigao, an enlightened beings and prince of Iran then "ran for his life" to preach in China :D

An Shigao (Chinese: 安世高) (in the Wade-Giles transcription system, An Shih-kao) (?-~168) was a prince of Parthia, nicknamed the "Parthian Marquis", who renounced his prospect as a contender for the royal throne of Parthia in order to serve as a Buddhist missionary monk.

The prefix An in An Shigao's name is an abbreviation of Anxi, the Chinese name given to the regions ruled by the Arsacids. Most visitors from that country who took a Chinese name received the An prefix to indicate their Anxi origin.

In 148, An Shigao arrived in China at the Han Dynasty capital of Luoyang, where he produced a substantial number of translations of Indian Buddhist texts and attracted a devoted community of followers. More than a dozen works by An Shigao are currently extant, including texts dealing with meditation, abhidharma, and basic Buddhist doctrines. An Shigao's corpus does not contain any Mahāyāna scriptures, though he himself is regularly referred to as a "bodhisattva" in early Chinese sources. Scholarly studies of his translations have shown that they are most closely affiliated with the Sarvāstivāda school.

An Shigao is the first Buddhist translator to be named in Chinese sources. Another Anxi translator, a layman named An Xuan, worked in Luoyang (together with a Chinese collaborator, Yan Fotiao) slightly after An Shigao's time, producing a translation of a Mahāyāna scripture, the Ugraparipṛcchā-sūtra (in Chinese, the Fajing jing, Taishō no. 322) c. 181 CE.

Amitabha amitabha amitabha to all beings who suffering from mental & physical calamities _/\_
  • Wilfred, I have no idea how your post is relevant to this thread. :banghead:

We live in a physical world so these natural events can cause a great deal of suffering. Australia has experienced floods, cyclones and bushfires just in the last few months and now our close neighbours, New Zealand are experiencing catastrophic earthquakes. We sympathise and wish you a speedy recovery. Australia has sent help in terms of manpower and supplies to help with that recovery.

May all beings be well and happy.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    @Wilfred

lolwut?
  • I agree, Vangelis, I have no idea what Wilfred's post has to do with anything!

I also send my prayers to Australia. I share a house with two nuns (we're on different floors, so don't get excited), one of whom was born in New Zealand and lived for a long time in Alice Springs, Australia, so the recent natural disasters in that part of the world have hit home here.

Palzang