Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dissing Buddhism

2»

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Sorry Jason, I just read your last post. I won't post about rebirth here again. Please don't delete my post. :)
    No problem. I edited it to make it a bit more noticeable:

ATTENTION: GOD EMPEROR MODE. PLEASE MAKE SURE TO READ THIS BEFORE POSTING.

Before this thread gets too off-topic, I'd like to ask that all discussions related to the current discussion on rebirth be continued there since the current format doesn't allow individual posts to be moved, and I'd hate to have to delete them. Thanks.

ATTENTION: GOD EMPEROR MODE. PLEASE MAKE SURE TO READ THIS BEFORE POSTING.

:)
  • Lol - Ah, ok, thanks Jason. Although I am getting older and I must admit that I am noticing a change in my eyesight (something that used to frustrate me with my parents), I actually didn't see your post because I was typing out my response while you had posted yours. Yes, I took my time to respond but in my defense it was on the train in peak hour on the way to work! I'll try and refresh more often!
    No worries, I know how it goes. I wouldn't start seriously deleting things without a couple of more warnings, anyway.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011

Rest assured that the suttas are repleat with examples of rebirth, the most important one being the night of the Buddha's awakening in which he recalled aeons of his lifetimes going back through many expansions and contractions of the world systems. His declaration of this experience is that there is no discernible beginning.

In fact, Buddhist monks not only recall their past lifetimes, but they also help others to do so. You can only do this with a suitably concentrated mind and that usually means a mind that has just been in jhana. You can experience it too if you wish to practice in this way. Metta,

Vangelis
    In what tradition do monks recall their past lifetimes and also help others to do so? Is there literature on this?

well, the other argument in favor of rebirth is that the Buddha outlined the workings of karma from one lifetime to the next, didn't he? If he didn't believe in rebirth, he wouldn't have done that.

Maybe he taught different things to different people, and that's why there's some contradiction in the suttras.
    edited February 2011
    For the love of God, from this point forward, can everyone please keep all discussions related to the current discussion on rebirth in the rebirth thread. This thread is about John Horgan's critique of Buddhism. This is the last warning I feel like giving. All further off-topic posts will be deleted.
  • oops
  • I would eat the flying spaghetti monster because spaghetti is amazing and I am sure it would be happy becuase it would be serving it's purpose as food. mmm, totally making spaghetti tonight, with italian sausage mixed with the sauce, no wait i have fresh venison sausage EVEN BETTER!
    LOL! Awesome!! Remember to connect to the animal you are eating and promise to be the mind streams teacher of Buddhahood when you do finally attain Buddhahood because now you are creating a personal karmic connection with that animal. Just a little something i learned from the Ganapuja.
  • For the love of God, from this point forward, can everyone please keep all discussions related to the current discussion on rebirth in the rebirth thread. This thread is about John Horgan's critique of Buddhism. This is the last warning I feel like giving. All further off-topic posts will be deleted.
    Oh... ok.

• Can Buddhism be "Spaghetti Monstered"?
    what do you mean by that?
    The flying spaghetti monster (FSM) is usually used against Christianity in the following way: It is offered as an alternate religion in such a way that the Christian opponent will have a difficult time refuting while simultaneously upholding the reasonableness of Christianity .

Would Buddhists find themselves in a similar situation if confronted by some variation of The FSM? What would such a variation be?
    Buddhism isn't theist.

The objective of the Dharma is being free from dukkha; even scientists (or whoever supports the FSM) will have a hard time making fun of a path towards the cessation of suffering... although they are more than welcome to come up with a better/more efficient way to end it.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited February 2011
    (didn't read the warning before posting)
  • Buddha can emmanate as a spaghetti monster as skillful means if needed! :clap:
  • Hmmm... I wonder how he came to this conclusion on Buddhism. I mean, who am I to judge him, I guess. If it didn't work for him, then it didn't work for him. I think he came to these conclusions through a mis-interpretation of the Buddha's teachings. For example, Buddha stressed that we should always question what is taught to us, and come to our own conclusions. So, even though Buddha came to his conclusions through living a life undomesticated life, that doesn't mean others may come to a conclusion with that way of living. Maybe he was too quick to judge and not keep an open-mind.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    (didn't read the warning before posting)
    Yet amazing that people read it AFTER posting.
    And don't edit.

• I gave the guy's summing up of "Buddhism" the once over and far more than once found what was said questionable, at least according to my own understanding. Which in a way, sums it up............in as much as he was speaking out of his own understanding. Yet seems to see his own as in some way definitive.