Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Rebirth: Everyone Is You {Very Silly Theory)

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited January 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Sorry if I always bore you all with my silly, childish alternative theories...

For a while now I have harnessed this idea of rebirth in me...

Perhaps there is no such thing as I die and I live again next life. Not because there is no self but because there is nothing at all the same, personality, karma or anything between your present and future self.

Rather, what you do now - for example, imagine myself as Osama and bomb people around. Then I die. OK that's it.

A child is born somewhere where Al-Qaeda bombs regularly. This child is thus subject to Al-Qaeda's actions - which was in the first place started by Osama - Osama, while thinking that he did do good, actually in the view of the child, did bad.

So thus retribution actually is not an exact replica, neither is kindness awarded with good. All are products of your karma - and since karma can be collectively generated and it is agreed that it is the karma that is reborn, not the inexistent atman(sorry if I spelt it wrongly, I meant self), you do not necessarily have to be reborn one by one. Meaning that 800 soldiers who die in battle, for example, might have their karmas continued to affect just that single life.

The effects that are felt immediately, like a slash on someone's neck, thus become your karma - the person who suffers from your act and dies may just fuse into you into a single karma. Sorry if it's a little confusing. So actually karma and lifes are imporportionate - just interrelated.

Thus the concept of rebirth is a very humanistic one - teaching that you should not do the absolute evil (like murdering infants) since it will affect other karmas, and the other karmas in turn affect future lives of that karma. Besides, your own karma also continues its own path - thus when you do a bad, not only you but many others are affected. WHen you do good, many others are also affected. Your next life will receive your karma - and good or bad the life is depends on thus your karma. Therefore it suggests that everyone is essentially you - and you should only do good since good is what you wish for others to do onto you.

Well this might be a crappy theory that is ultimately confusing but I thought I'd just like to share it with you all. :doh:

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2005
    If you'd like a little friendly advice, Ajani, forget your own theories and study what the Buddha taught. I think all you're doing is confusing yourself. Eh?

Palzang
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Yeah, hehe... Guess I have an amazing tendency to look deep into stuff... Haha.. :doh:
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Well, don't give up on your theories just yet! You might be the next "Great Thinker," or...whatever they're called! :vimp:
    edited December 2005
    Well in my personal, non-digital signature I sign "polymath" at the end to remind myself that I am not weird (which most of the poeple I know say I am) but well, just have different interests in many different fields.

Well, just dammed glad that Buddhism never outcasts individuals as being infidels and setting off a bomb on them. :doh:
  • edited December 2005
    One important thing to remember is that Buddha teaches that we should think for ourselves and not assume something is correct simply because it has always been viewed as correct before.

Life experiences are more important teachers than words from anyone else can ever be. So if your life has taught you that this theory is true, then for you it must be true.
  • edited December 2005
    ajani_mgo wrote:

Not always by any means. :smilec:
  • edited December 2005
    ajani_mgo wrote:

For a while now I have harnessed this idea of rebirth in me...

Perhaps there is no such thing as I die and I live again next life. Not because there is no self but because there is nothing at all the same, personality, karma or anything between your present and future self.

Rather, what you do now - for example, imagine myself as Osama and bomb people around. Then I die. OK that's it.

A child is born somewhere where Al-Qaeda bombs regularly. This child is thus subject to Al-Qaeda's actions - which was in the first place started by Osama - Osama, while thinking that he did do good, actually in the view of the child, did bad.

So thus retribution actually is not an exact replica, neither is kindness awarded with good. All are products of your karma - and since karma can be collectively generated and it is agreed that it is the karma that is reborn, not the inexistent atman(sorry if I spelt it wrongly, I meant self), you do not necessarily have to be reborn one by one. Meaning that 800 soldiers who die in battle, for example, might have their karmas continued to affect just that single life.

The effects that are felt immediately, like a slash on someone's neck, thus become your karma - the person who suffers from your act and dies may just fuse into you into a single karma. Sorry if it's a little confusing. So actually karma and lifes are imporportionate - just interrelated.

Thus the concept of rebirth is a very humanistic one - teaching that you should not do the absolute evil (like murdering infants) since it will affect other karmas, and the other karmas in turn affect future lives of that karma. Besides, your own karma also continues its own path - thus when you do a bad, not only you but many others are affected. WHen you do good, many others are also affected. Your next life will receive your karma - and good or bad the life is depends on thus your karma. Therefore it suggests that everyone is essentially you - and you should only do good since good is what you wish for others to do onto you.

Well this might be a crappy theory that is ultimately confusing but I thought I'd just like to share it with you all. :doh:

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I would say that your theory very much matches my own, even though it may not be the one traditionally promoted.

:)
    edited December 2005
    Ah! This is such a pure coincidence of karma! :doh: :rockon:
  • edited December 2005
    Your theory is not strange. Science and Buddhism can go hand in hand. Imagine that everything that makes up who you are, is within every cell of your body. As it is with all living things, plants, animals, insects. When your body (the shell) dies, these do not all die. They are absorbed back into the earth, and are used to create or sustain life. You then are part of something else. Be it another person, or any other life form. Living out a new cycle, then taking with you those experiences after that, and on, and on.

I think the Buddha had it right, and science is now catching up. As a matter of fact transmigration is one of the only 'beliefs' of a religion or thought system that actually has scientific backing (not that it matters).

The Buddha was down to earth, no nonsense, and practical. This is why many people are drawn to Buddhism. It is not mythical, magical, or other worldly. It is a simple path for the life you are actually living, in the world you are actually living in.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Very good point, Dhaamasaavaka. The Buddha did just teach reality, and nothing more. The teaching on karma, for instance, is simply cause and effect, but people tend to make much more out of it, like equating it with "fate", externalizing it into sort of a Christian godhead type of thing where you're being punished, etc. It's really not like that. But it's difficult to get the whole god thing out of our minds!

Palzang
  • edited December 2005
    Very true. But I am afraid beliefs in such have even spread to some schools of thought, being adapted from society belief. Things such as luck, the Buddha did not believe in luck. Yet most Chinese restaurants have that big fat 'lucky Buddha'. Even astrology has made its way in.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Yeah, also a good point. Just because Asians have been Buddhists for a long time doesn't mean they're immune to this degeneration either. This is, after all, the degenerate age as foretold by the Buddha!

Palzang
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I think if one reads the Kalama Sutra, then it should give you the answer to this, Ajani.
    In a nutshell the sutra states to test, analyse and observe the teachings for yourself-if they suit you then well and good, if your theory can be tested and analysed then well and good for you!

P.S. I think the "Fat Buddha", that you refer to is actually some Chinese sage, a buddhist yes, but apparently not the actual Buddha as we know him (Siddartha Gotama). I read this somewhere a few days ago...anyone else know of this?