Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Siddhartha's Princely Status--Myth or Reality?

DakiniDakini Veteran
edited February 2011 in General Banter
[According to the Pali Canon] "the Buddha's father was not a king but a nobleman of the Gotama clan, who would have served as chairman of the Assembly in Sakiya. At most he would have been a sort of regional headman or governor. Sakiya was part of the powerful kingdom of Kosala, ruled by King Pasenadi from the capital city of Savaatthi. 'The Sakiyans are vassals of the King of Kosala' acknowledged Siddhartha Gotama. 'They offer him humble service and salute him, rise and do him homage and pay him fitting service'." D 27, iii.83.

This, from Stephen Batchelor.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    What's your point, and why is it in the beginner's forum?
  • It ended up in beginner's by accident. Feel free to move it. It's a question for discussion. many people don't seem to be aware of the true history, or may take issue with it. or...not.
  • It doesn't matter if it's a myth or if it's a reality. Buddhism is still what it is today, and it can be "done" even if he was a prince, a king, an accountant, or whatever. It doesn't even matter if he existed historically at all. Buddhism still is what it is today, and can be done without reference to those questions.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I'm moving it to general banter.

Could I ask though....
    Does it really matter?
    SD pipped me to it.....
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I thought it was interesting. I like to know the truth, and not believe in fairy tales or myths, that's why I opted out of Christianity at an early age.
    If it doesn't matter, why is the myth so widespread? Is there some clinging to that? Leaving the palace and the palatial luxuries for a life devoted to alleviating suffering seems to carry some significance for some people. Although he would've had some luxuries anway, as son of a headman or governor.

Dharma Field has a really good post that addresses the "what's the point" question, on the "Englishman's Journey Through Buddhism" thread.
    The only way to find out the truth is to go there.
    Sometimes I think back on episodes in my youth, and remember them one way, only to be told by my own mother, "No, that's not what happened.... your aunt said this, and so you did that....."

It doesn't mean it's a myth, it merely means that a lot of people have told and re-told the same story many times. Some call his father a king, some a nobleman.
    It sometimes amounted to the same thing, in those days.
    In ancient time, the united Kingdom, had more than one king at a time.... in different areas, so authority was shared, and there were many kings, but not all of one country. But they were all 'kings' or leaders of their tribes, or great warriors, or clansmen,.... semantics.....

• "If it doesn't matter, why is the myth so widespread? Is there some clinging to that? Leaving the palace and the palatial luxuries for a life devoted to alleviating suffering seems to carry some significance for some people. Although he would've had some luxuries anway, as son of a headman or governor."

It makes for a great setup to a really good myth. Prince, all worldly pleasures, kept away from the reality of the outside world, and so forth... it makes for a great setup for the presentation of the 4NT, which in turn makes a great setup for the 8FP.

So as a myth, it's perfect. I don't know if it fits the classical definition of myth from an expert like Joseph Campbell or someone like that, but it makes for a great myth. "Siddhartha the Accountant" or "Siddhartha the Patent Attorney" just doesn't have the same "oomph"- know what I mean?
  • I think the point is that he led a worldly life, which he left. It's all a story meant to have meaning, pointing out that although he had everything he could possibly want, it wasn't enough. It's never enough. No matter what pleasures he indulged in, he would always be faced with old age, disease, death and the like. And so he left to find the answer, and find it he did. Release. :) So don't get all caught up in the stories, questioning if they were real, that's not their point! They are full of meaning, just as the stories of Jesus.

Dharma Field has a really good post that addresses the "what's the point" question, on the "Englishman's Journey Through Buddhism" thread.
    What's his point?

My point is to always ask how supportive such questions are of my practice.
    Do they affect it?
    in this case?
    No.

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I like to know the truth, and not believe in fairy tales or myths, that's why I opted out of Christianity at an early age. Leaving the palace and the palatial luxuries for a life devoted to alleviating suffering seems to carry some significance for some people. Although he would've had some luxuries anway, as son of a headman or governor.
    The scriptures say the Prince lived in three palaces & lived a luxurious life.

His father may have been a minor monarch, where as Pasenadi may have been a more powerful king.

In short, very much unrelated to Dhamma.

Buddhism is as full as fairy tales & myths as any other religion.

Example, Jataka Stories.

One sutta in the DN has a creation myth.

Try the Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gautama_Buddha

:)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I'm not viewing this narrowly, in relation to my practice. I'm interested in the broader picture; the historical record, the accuracy of the Pali texts and the evolution therefrom of Theravadan and other schools (Batchelor intimates that Theravadan took a more conservative path than the Pali indicates), etc. Actually, I have this forum to thank for some of that interest. :)

Similarly, I'm interested to some extent in the historical truth that Christian mythology is based on. If Jesus didn't die after the Crucifixion, and did, indeed, go East to teach, that's pretty significant! All these questions are fascinating. To some people anyway. Those who aren't interested in these questions can leave the thread for others to enjoy.
    I ask again:
    What's the point?
    if you discover the Buddha was actually the slave of some princely family, and actually herded goats, would that make any difference to your practice, now?

The only way to verify for yourself whether the Pali texts are accurate, is to see whether they work for you or not.
    Why such a deep analytical interest?
    Where, in the end, will it get you?
    How will your practice benefit from this?

help me get this, please!
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited February 2011
    OK

:)

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Didn't I say my interest has nothing to do with practice? What do you mean, "why such a deep analytical interest"? I don't understand the question. This is how my mind works; I enjoy scholarship and deep thought. If you don't "get" the question, you can leave it alone. :-/ ?!
    Guess so.
    But like you, I like to know things.
    And people's pursuit of the unknowable is an anathema to me.

later. :)
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    In fact, to be honest, Buddha could have never existed. Of course it doesn't take away from the practice of Buddhism, but its still interesting to know.
  • I don't understand this "the Buddha may never have existed" position. If he hadn't existed, who would have generated all the teachings that have been collected? And the text describing him and his life? Probably this has already been discussed on the forum ad nauseam, like karma and rebirth. If so, sorry for bringing it up again.
  • Wikipedia:

"The evidence of the early texts suggests that the Buddha was born in a community that was on the periphery, both geographically and culturally, of the northeastern Indian subcontinent in the 5th century BCE.[13] It was either a small republic, in which case his father was an elected chieftain, or an oligarchy, in which case his father was an oligarch."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism#Life_of_the_Buddha
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Who would have generated all the teachings of Jesus? Or Muhammad? Or Confucius? People, CW. People.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I don't understand this "the Buddha may never have existed" position. If he hadn't existed, who would have generated all the teachings that have been collected? And the text describing him and his life? Probably this has already been discussed on the forum ad nauseam, like karma and rebirth. If so, sorry for bringing it up again.
    The main alternative among scholars to the existence of a single progenitor of a body of philosophy is usually that the "founder" is a composite of several people, and the philosophy is the work of more than one person. In the case of Taoism, for instance, some historians believe the writings attributed to "Lao Tzu" (which simply means "old man") is a collection of sayings popular among a certain class of political leaders in China.

In the end, as federica implies, it doesn't really matter. We need to approach the writings with a light touch. Pali scholar Rupert Gethin is of the opinion that all we can really know of a Siddhartha Gautama is that he was a wandering ascetic in the sramana culture of ancient India who built up a substantial following of monks and nuns by sometime around 400 BCE. Theravada teacher Jack Kornfield (and student of Ajahn Chah) calls such stories "the marketing tactics of the spiritual trade." I am inclined to believe the prince-turned-renunciant story is a work of creative license. It is interesting and sometimes a useful metaphor for Buddhist philosophical points. But ultimately such stories should not influence your perception of the Buddha's teaching: lend no more credence to the teachings of the Buddha than you would any other philosopher, whether from ancient Greece, Jordan, or present day America, until you have tried it for yourself.

• Who would have generated all the teachings of Jesus? Or Muhammad? Or Confucius? People, CW. People.
    I wasn't aware that the existence of Muhammad and Jesus was in question. :-/

The main alternative among scholars to the existence of a single progenitor of a body of philosophy is usually that the "founder" is a composite of several people, and the philosophy is the work of more than one person.
    Interesting, Glow. This is what some say about Shakespeare.

• Good job Dakini for being a good sport. I just popped in and learned something interesting for once that was simply "open to discussion" and predictably barely between the lines are half the posters jumping the gun and making it difficult for people like Dakini or myself if I was to want to post something similar, which I very well could see myself doing. I now will have to think twice or face this forum's enlightening reproach. How many times is it discussed here or rather preached and proselytized that nothing matters except direct experience, for instance my very first post here; that wasn't the OP though was it?

Bravo for being supportive like always Cloud, at least one mod is.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Was I being supportive? I was just saying it doesn't matter what "really" happened, as the stories are told to convey meaning. Even if they were completely fabricated, this wouldn't diminish their effectiveness. All I know is what's right here, right now... and if anything written or spoken can help shed light on it, then it's good dharma. :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Siddhartha was the son of blank and lived in the suburbs. He was accepted to state U but instead went to follow the grateful dead and trip on acid as a cook. On one of his acid trips he realized that the life on the road was too much commotion and so he climbed to the top of the mountain and drank the fresh mountain water and caught fish. It all seemed so simple. Life was impermanent and we strive all day to get something better. Better music. A better BMW. Better pot. It really didn't matter. All we had to do is be simple and contented and not strive for anything. Being a genius he decided to communicate his message. So he rented an appartment in the city and got a job as a short order cook. Next he constructed a blog going by the name 'buddha'.
  • Was I being supportive? I was just saying it doesn't matter what "really" happened, as the stories are told to convey meaning. Even if they were completely fabricated, this wouldn't diminish their effectiveness. All I know is what's right here, right now... and if anything written or spoken can help shed light on it, then it's good dharma. :)
    Perhaps you weren't, which is unfortunate. No one needs to be made to feel insecure in their questions or discussions, especially reasonable ones from so-called Buddhist mods. Perhaps we ought not be led by the mod example, or I feel many would tremble to post.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I don't know. I wasn't trying to be anything, just answering the question. If you like my answer, good. If not, I don't mind! I wasn't purposely sticking up for anyone's view, or on anyone's side (or against anyone's view), only on the side of the truth. Take it however you want. :D The last thing I wish to convey is offense, so don't take me wrong or imagine it, there's no such intent here, nor wording to that effect! ;)

We carry our knowledge around in words. This is our species' memory. If we accept it, it is true to us. If we do not accept it, it is not true to us.
  • "

So as a myth, it's perfect. I don't know if it fits the classical definition of myth from an expert like Joseph Campbell or someone like that, but it makes for a great myth. "Siddhartha the Accountant" or "Siddhartha the Patent Attorney" just doesn't have the same "oomph"- know what I mean?
    Right, it's not a myth in the "Joseph Campbell" sense, of having hidden symbolism, etc. But I've come across info lately that the tendency to mythologize S. Gautama's life was strong and widespread.(Probably not news to many members.) I came across an account of the Buddha representing a virgin birth, i.e. his mother was impregnated by supernatural means. Interesting how that theme appears across cultures.

• Of course it matters whether it is fact or fiction!

Buddha's life story, and the story of other actors in the Pali cannon, is inspirational. And the knowledge that the stories are true can increase the power of inspiration. And inspiration is important and builds the faculty of confidence.

If we found out that that the buddha was actually a womanizer and scam artist are you guys saying that no Buddhist out there would be demoralized?

If someone found out that their meditation teacher threw temper tantrums might that not weaken their resolve to practice?
  • The meta-problem here is that the question in the OP did not specify in which sphere of interest it was posed?

Personally, I love the stories of the Buddha at more than one level:
    as an historian and amateur archaeologist, I am fascinated by the dating and authenticity debate and know it to be unresolved.

As a storyteller to children and a poet, I love the imagery of the prince shut away from worldly pain and his discoveries. A real 'quest' story in the best tradition.

As a very amateur pilgrim of the spiritualities, I find pointers to understanding in the legends and the myths.

As a practitioner, on my cushion, they matter not one jot.

There is no unitary "I", there is a symphony orchestra.

• Of course it matters whether it is fact or fiction!

Buddha's life story, and the story of other actors in the Pali cannon, is inspirational. And the knowledge that the stories are true can increase the power of inspiration. And inspiration is important and builds the faculty of confidence.

If we found out that that the buddha was actually a womanizer and scam artist are you guys saying that no Buddhist out there would be demoralized?

If someone found out that their meditation teacher threw temper tantrums might that not weaken their resolve to practice?
    I think you're right. It does take a while to realise the value of a teacher with feet of clay.

• Valid questions and only go to show that irrespective of the validity of the Buddhist philosophy itself, the status Gautama has only breeds ignorance in people. Revering someone above anyone else, is not the Buddhist thing to do. Yet everyone gets a statue of Buddha and insists on having symbols and more symbols....when Buddhism would have you not use symbols at all.....concepts and symbols and language.....

It kind of sickens me hear monks being called Venerable. Or referring to the Dalai Lama as His Holiness. It defeats the whole purpose.
  • edited February 2011
    Valid questions and only go to show that irrespective of the validity of the Buddhist philosophy itself, the status Gautama has only breeds ignorance in people. Revering someone above anyone else, is not the Buddhist thing to do. Yet everyone gets a statue of Buddha and insists on having symbols and more symbols....when Buddhism would have you not use symbols at all.....concepts and symbols and language.....

It kind of sickens me hear monks being called Venerable. Or referring to the Dalai Lama as His Holiness. It defeats the whole purpose.
    I think you have a point, Epicurus. We do these things without thinking (meaning--we're not practicing mindfulness!): buy Buddha statues, set up altars, hang thankas, etc. But I recently read in a book on Tibetan Buddhism that this type of practice came long after the Buddha, and that he didn't approve of using images, etc. Not to mention: has it ever struck you as ironic that Dharma magazines are full of ads for shops selling dharma stuff? The very readership they're trying to sell to is supposed to be practicing spirituality, not materialism. lol!

BTW, Epicurus, the reasoning behind practitioners using those titles (like performing prostrations) is that it's an opportunity to practice humility. Those holding the titles in theory are unattached to them (and to the luxuries that accompany the title). But your point that revering some above others contradicts the Buddha's view of the caste system (as did the caste system itself in Buddhist Tibet) is a good reminder.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Those holding the titles in theory are unattached to them (and to the luxuries that accompany the title).But your point that revering some above others contradicts the Buddha's view of the caste system (as did the caste system itself in Buddhist Tibet) is a good reminder.
    It's interesting to note that the Buddha found enlightenment after giving up his high status and luxuries. Maybe in order to become enlightened the lamas should renounce their status and luxuries, and become simple teachers. But their monks and other followers would probably revere them anyway, and offer gifts. Perhaps it is human nature to revere spiritual leaders and offer them gifts out of respect and gratitude for the teachings.

Perhaps you weren't, which is unfortunate. No one needs to be made to feel insecure in their questions or discussions, especially reasonable ones from so-called Buddhist mods. Perhaps we ought not be led by the mod example, or I feel many would tremble to post.
    Your problem is that you think I'm a mod, then all my comments are in the guise of a Mod.
    When I moderate I moderate.
    When I participate, I participate.
    Don't confuse the two. I don't.

• I tremble to disagree with Federica in either case. :P
  • Whaaat? Federica's the nice one. It's the rest of us that'll eat ya alive.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    No, not you, Cloud. For one thing, it would be against the precepts. ;)
    It's the rest of us that'll eat ya alive.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited February 2011
    As is often the case on this forum I find what I had intended to say already stated by others and, usually, stated better than I could do so myself. To me whether Siddhartha was the son of a king, or merely a nobleman doesn't matter. Indeed whether he ever really existed at all doesn't matter. Ether way it has no bearing on my practice. Somebody (or somebodies) at some point developed the teachings. I find great truth and value in those teachings whether the figure they're attributed to existed or not. Just as I can find value in the teachings attributed to the figure of Jesus Christ, despite not having any real belief in the figure as supposed by his followers.
    I tremble to disagree with Federica in either case. :P
    My problem is I'm getting to the age where some women are considered 'matronly'.... Matron was always the head nurse with the large generous smile and warm motherly attitude.... carrying either the cod-liver oil, or the enema kit..... :lol:

I think that sometimes people misconstrue my meaning:

The Buddha gave us 4 unconjecturables: They pretty much sum up the major factors that would send us doolally if we spent too much time trying to figure them out.
    But I sometimes feel the list is not comprehensive, and that other things could be added, or at least taken into consideration.

Why do Police officers need or call upon so many witnesses to an incident?
    Because if you ask six witnesses to an incident to recount what they witnessed, each will give a generally recognisably similar account but each will also add or elaborate according to their perception. Everybody will bring something slightly different into the equation, and add something of their own assumption.

So I think we can safely say that the generally-accepted and well-known account of the Buddha's origins are pretty much well agreed all round.
    Embellishment is what adds intrigue, mystery and supposition.

But fundamentally, I fail to see really of what enormous importance it is to try to get the 'accurate historical facts'.
    I don't believe they exist. All accounts are conjecture, from a point.
  • edited February 2011
    I've learned a lot from some of the debates on this site that involve much quoting of the suttras. But all that suttric text has raised as many questions in my mind as have been answered. I think any study that brings to light new information or that could shed light on accepted interpretations can be elucidating and fascinating. The field of Biblical scholarship is well-established and accepted, and occasionally makes its appearance on this forum (thanks to Simon ;) ). Why suttric scholarship should be resisted or deemed irrelevant, on a Buddhist site, no less, is a bit puzzling. :scratch:
  • I've learned a lot from some of the debates on this site that involve much quoting of the suttras. But all that suttric text has raised as many questions in my mind as have been answered. I think any study that brings to light new information or that could shed light on accepted interpretations can be elucidating and fascinating. The field of Biblical scholarship is well-established and accepted, and occasionally makes its appearance on this forum (thanks to Simon ;) ). Why suttric scholarship should be resisted or deemed irrelevant, on a Buddhist site, no less, is a bit puzzling. :scratch:
    I don't think it should be resisted or deemed irrelevant- quite the contrary. I think it has an important place, because it keeps people from "just saying stuff". But some of those quotations get really really long and hard to follow, and multiple quotations are even harder to follow than that. I suggest suttric quotations in moderation to make a point, and maybe to rephrase the question presented before and/or after so that we're sure what is being asked or answered by the quotation.

Moderation. I for one have difficulty following long quotations from the sutras.