Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Disrobe" vs. "Defrock": Clarification

edited February 2011 in General Banter
Sorry- this has just been driving me nuts and I had this urge to clarify- call me an old stickler...

From Google Dictionary online:

Definitions of disrobe on the Web:

* undress: get undressed; "please don't undress in front of everybody!"; "She strips in front of strangers every night for a living"
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* to undress someone or something; to undress oneself
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/disrobe

Definitions of defrock on the Web:

* divest of the frock; of church officials
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* To defrock, unfrock, or laicize a minister or priest is to remove their right to exercise the functions of the ordained ministry. This may be due to criminal convictions, disciplinary matters, disagreements over doctrine or dogma. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defrock

* to divest of a frock; to formally remove the rights and authority of a member of the clergy
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/defrock

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    To disrobe is when a monk/nun chooses to return to lay life. This can be either because they do not wish to pursue monastic life, or the end of a temporary term of monkhood/nunhood in some cultures.

Defrock is being ex-communicated, thrown out, for violating one of the heavier rules in the Vinaya. Or at least that's what it would mean, if the word defrock was used.
  • Now that I look at Google again, searching for "disrobe monk", you're right.

It's just weird that a word like that would come into common usage. Like they're getting naked.

Oh well. :) Thanks.
  • Now that I look at Google again, searching for "disrobe monk", you're right.

It's just weird that a word like that would come into common usage. Like they're getting naked.
    I agree, SD. They could coin a new word, perhaps: "de-robe".

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Unrobe?