Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Use the inner stillness/peace as meditation object?

edited February 2011 in Meditation
Hello Friends,

I’m considering to use the inner stillness/peace as my meditation object during daily life, instead of the postures/activities. The point is to try to achieve/maintain a state of mind in stillness free from delusions and cravings, free from fabrications (somewhat like returning to the original nature) at all possible times of daily life. If the stillness can be achieved, then fine; if not, then recollect the stillness to achieve it. I thought it would be more effective to watch the mind than to watch the postures for achieving "disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, stilling, direct knowledge, self-awakening, and liberation".

When the six senses are not pinched by the sense objects, I can remain focused on the inner quietness/stillness.

When the six senses are pinched by the sense objects (e.g. wondering thoughts), I can contemplate anicca/dukkha/anatta of these sense objects, and meanwhile reflectively contemplate the peace of the pure mind. So the sense objects can be dropped from the mind with disenchantment and dispassion while the mind can maintain the peace, untouched by the sense objects, without likes or dislikes of them.

I tried this method during sitting meditation this morning, and entered into a state of stillness/emptiness with no sense of the body for a very short while -- I'm not quite sure if it's a good state or not. It's not accompanied by piti and sukha, neither by a luminous alert mind.

This idea is related to the Patriarchal Chan [祖師禪, sometimes translated into Tathagata Chan 如来清静禅] of Master Huineng (the Sixth and Last Patriarch of Chán Buddhism). As a beginner, I don't really know the Patriarchal Chan. I'd like to learn about it and would appreciated information about it.

Your input/advice would be appreciated. All the best,

Muditaa

§10. One thing — when developed & pursued — leads solely to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to stilling, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Unbinding. Which one thing? Recollection of stilling. This is one thing that — when developed & pursued — leads solely to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to stilling, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Unbinding.
— AN 1.287-296

Comments

• "Stillness" is what I do in my meditation, but a lama once told me that was wrong. And I read recently that stillness is in the Hindu tradition, but in the Buddhist tradition meditation is supposed to be about mindfulness.
  • That state is your natural state. When you do nothing and just sit it appears before you. Accept everything as it is and abide in that stillness. Don't make it an object. Don't do anything. Don't strive for some state. Just be and accept the silence within.
  • I think it would be wrong if there is the habitual and conditioned thinking mind that grasps at distinctions as real and reacts to things rather than responding sensitively. So if the stillness is an experience in awareness that you are reacting sensitively to then fine. But if it is regarded as a real quality and you are making a distinction of stillness experienced by a meditator then it is ordinary grasping mind.
  • i highly recommend inner stillness as a meditation object

best wishes

• Stillness is a resting place on the path. Just be careful not to stop there.

Quote:
    NO MATTER HOW DEEP OR CONTINUOUS, samãdhi is not an end in
    itself. Samãdhi does not bring about an end to all suffering. But
    samãdhi does constitute an ideal platform from which to launch
    an all out assault on the kilesas that cause all suffering. The pro-
    found calm and concentration generated by samãdhi form an ex-
    cellent basis for the development of wisdom.
    The problem is that samãdhi is so peaceful and satisfying
    that the meditator inadvertently becomes addicted to it. This
    happened to me: for five years I was addicted to the tranquil-
    ity of samãdhi; so much so that I came to believe that this very
    tranquility was the essence of Nibbãna. Only when my teacher,
    Ãcariya Mun, forced me to confront this misconception, was I
    able to move on to the practice of wisdom.

Path to Arahantship
    Aj Maha Boowa
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited February 2011
    there is 'stillness' & there is 'stillness'

genuine stillness is not a "resting place" because it is fluid; it is soft; it is letting go; it flows.

best wishes

• Hm ... after reading Master Huineng's teaching [-- http://www.sinc.sunysb.edu/Clubs/buddhi ... neng6.html]
    I've realized that his method is not just about trying to obtain inner stillness at all, but is about contemplating the pure mind [the "essence" of the mind] all the possible time to abandon the incoming defilements.

My thanks and metta to all!