Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Medicine Buddha = Blue?

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited February 2011 in General Banter
Why is Medicine Buddha blue? Being blue doesn't seem very healthy. In fact, thats typically a sign of illness, suffocation, or an allergic reaction. :p But no, really, why is he blue?

I know theres a thread on a Hindu god (or whatever) being blue, but from what I've read, he's blue because gods were colored blue to differentiate between humans. But surely Medicine Buddha is no god!
description of the photo

Comments

• Who is to say human-like beings in the past were not blue-skinned? ;)
  • Blue in Buddhist Color Symbolism

http://www.religionfacts.com/buddhism/symbols/blue.htm

Dark Blue (Lapis Lazuli) in Buddhism

"Nothing illustrates more the spectacular influence of the darker blue on Buddhist aesthetics than the 'Blue Buddha', also known as the Buddha of Medicine or Healing. The most distinctive feature of this Medicine Buddha is his color, the deep blue of lapis lazuli.

"This precious stone has been greatly prized by Asian and European cultures for more than six thousand years and, until relatively recently, its ornamental value was on a par with, or even exceeded, that of the diamond. An aura of mystery surrounds this gemstone, perhaps because of its principal mines are located in the remote Badakshan region of northeast Afghanistan, an all-but-inaccessible area located behind the Hindu Kush. One commentator has written, "the finest specimens of lapis, intensely blue with speckled waves and swirls of shining gold-colored pyrite, resemble the night aglow with myriads of stars.""

"Traditionally this beautiful stone was used to symbolize that which is pure or rare. It is said to have a curative or strengthening effect on those who wear it, and its natural smoothness allows it to be polished to a high degree of reflectivity. Specifically in alternative medicine, because of it being associated with a certain 'coolness', it is used when inflammation is present, or when any internal bleeding or nervous condition exists. For all these reasons, plus the fact that deep blue light has a demonstrable healing effect on those who use it in visualization practices, lapis is the color of the principal Medicine Buddha, making this stone an important one in Buddhist mysticism."

http://www.religionfacts.com/buddhism/symbols/blue.htm
  • Why is Medicine Buddha blue? Being blue doesn't seem very healthy. In fact, thats typically a sign of illness, suffocation, or an allergic reaction. :p But no, really, why is he blue?

I know theres a thread on a Hindu god (or whatever) being blue, but from what I've read, he's blue because gods were colored blue to differentiate between humans. But surely Medicine Buddha is no god!
    Don't be so quick to make a distinction between various Buddhas and gods. What defines a deity? The Medicine Buddha is one of a trinity of Buddhas worshipped across the Buddhist sangha. There is Shakyamuni Buddha (Gautama, the founder of our sangha), Amitabha Buddha or the Pure Land Buddha (often depicted in red) with his two attendants, and Medicine Buddha. The previous posters are right that the color reflects lapis, supposed to have miraculous healing powers.

If you see a painting or statues that depict three Buddha figures, it will be these three. These three Buddhas are worshipped and prayed to across Buddhism. For many if not most Buddhists in the world, their practice is one of simple devotion to these deities, who are not abstracts or mortal men, but people who have ascended to godhood and can hear prayers and grant miracles and entry into a heavenly afterlife.

When I kicked around the world a bit, I discovered this intellectual examination of the sutras and doctrines such as noself and emptiness is left to the scholarly monks. The average lay Buddhist tried to accumulate a little merit and prays to the Buddhas for healing and intercession in their troubles and to take care of them after death. Isn't that what gods are all about?

• As an aside, if you see lapis lazuli advertised on Ebay, half the time it is another mineral, hematite (I think that's what its called), which is also dark blue but differs from lapis lazuli in being really cheap.

I wanted to buy some lapis as an illustration to some kids I was talking to about Buddhism, Medicine Buddha practice in particular. Genuine lapis is quite expensive but I'm going to buy some next time I go to a crystal/rock shop that I can trust.

Oh, and blue is the colour of healing. I have no idea why, but the fact that lapis lazuli was much rarer in the past may have something to do with it - expensive stone, beautiful stones have often been associated to good fortune.

Anyway, Medicine Buddha is one of my favourites as he's blue and blue is a cool colour. Yay!