Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Politics

2»

Comments

• edited December 2005

I came here to discuss Buddhism with like minded people. If you aren't capable of polite discussion at this point in your walk, then I will not be responding to you - I can get nasty, mean spirited attitude anywhere on the internet and in life. I aspire to higher discourse and more friendly interaction.

Peace be with you.

Signed,

A "redneck" Buddhist :)
  • edited December 2005
    As I thought no counter arguement. I aspire to engage with compassionate like mind people not gun loving folk who want to kick the poor and weak when they a down. As for you getting nasty, you have already shown your hand when you dipped you toe in the water of debate. Or does nasty mean you will send the KKK around.
    Aren't you better off with white skinhead hate sites?
  • edited December 2005
    I'm reading and pondering this right now. I thought some might find it as useful as I do...
    Never indeed is hatred stilled by hatred; it will only be stilled by non-hatred — this is an eternal law.

— Dhp., vv. 4-5

Do not speak harshly to anyone. Those who are harshly spoken to might retaliate against you. Angry words hurt other's feelings, even blows may overtake you in return.

— Dhp., v. 133

Forbearance is the highest observance. Patience is the highest virtue. So the Buddhas say.

— Dhp., v. 184

Let a man remove his anger. Let him root out his pride. Let him overcome all fetters of passions. No sufferings overtake him who neither clings to mind-and-body nor claims anything of the world.

— Dhp., v. 221

Conquer anger by non-anger. Conquer evil by good. Conquer miserliness by liberality. Conquer a liar by truthfulness.

— Dhp., v. 223

Guard your mind against an outburst of wrong feelings. Keep your mind controlled. Renouncing evil thoughts, develop purity of mind.

— Dhp., v. 233
  • edited December 2005
    Ponder on this.

I used to think I was poor. Then they told me I wasn't poor, I was needy. Then they told me it was self-defeating to think of myself as needy, I was deprived. Then they told me deprived was a bad image, I was underprivileged. Then they told me underprivileged was overused, I was disadvantaged. I still don't have a dime. But I sure have a great vocabulary.
    Jules Feiffer B.1929
  • edited December 2005
    Where does it say in Buddha's teaching you have a right to bare arms ? Give me a break, don't try and hide behind Buddha.

The idea of achieving security through national armament is, at the present state of military technique, a disastrous illusion.
    (Albert Einstein, Physicist
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2005
    What do you want from us, HH?
  • edited December 2005
    well, from you personally nothing but a few well tailor words. If you doing mind me saying it's a rather strange question.However as for Hunt4life he certainly has nothing that want. As for the rest...I love you all. May you all have a peaceful gun free new year.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Libertarian sounds nice... I always fancied being sort of "less governed"...

Pure democracies while may sound like pure tyranny - very much depends on who and how many are using it. If you split towns small enough until they are like Majority-Minority votes each time and you gather them up (like that of the elctoral colleges, but more smaller parts) I think you'll find something very reasonable - what's more- I am always against the Constitution being amended (Yes! Not even the Swiss!) To me it should be in geek-speak, "read-only". Write it once, read it tons. The Consitution is after all something expected throughout generations - which generation has never wanted freedom of movement and stuff like that?
  • edited December 2005
    I am prepared to accept many different viewpoints with regards to politics. This debate is beginning to become a little tense, running a religious forum in itself is always going to throw up some contentious issues!....Mix with 'Politics' and it clearly becomes unstable:rant:

I am not naive enough not to realise that one's religious affiliations often reflect one's politics, but let's not forget that this is an essentially 'Buddhist' forum. 'Right Speech' needs to be the order of the day;)

Whenever we have these arguments I always worry that we will lose someone from this Sangha.........that would be truly SAD!
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Oh ya, almost forgot about that! Damm, looks like "freedom of speech" does injustice to "right speech" does it not?
  • edited December 2005
    Freedom of speech is a privilige enjoyed by very few.....However those that exercise it should also be aware that within the principles of 'Buddhism' which after all this FORUM is dedicated to.....means that 'Right Speech' should be employed.

Ajani.....try looking at the bigger picture here rather than getting involved in semantics...What do you think I am trying to do?.....answers on a postcard please:rolleyesc