Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Knowledge and understanding or skill

zenffzenff Veteran
edited March 2011 in Buddhism Today
Is wisdom knowledge and understanding, or is it skill?

That’s an open door. It is skill!
When we face real problems in life, when the roof collapses, nothing we learned from books will help us. We can not go back and look it up. We can not post our question on a Buddhist forum.

We have to be able to respond to any situation immediately.
The diamond sword of wisdom must be in our hands every moment of our life.

So why do we study and try to understand Buddhism at all?

And what can we do to attain this ability of spontaneous and appropriate action?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Wisdom is an understanding of reality that is true to reality. An understanding being firm, speech and actions will always be skillful in nature. We can act skillfully by following the precepts, but this is limited in scope and does not cover all situations that may arise.
  • Is wisdom knowledge and understanding, or is it skill?
    Is it colder in Alaska or in the winter?
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    Is wisdom knowledge and understanding, or is it skill?
    Is it colder in Alaska or in the winter?
    Lol.

Please explain.

• Because it's almost (or maybe not even almost) a "straw-man", or "self-answering" question.

Wisdom, knowledge, understanding, and skill all overlap and are all part of each other. We must know theory of "swordsmanship" in order to practice correctly in order to be able to wield the "sword of skillful means" correctly. That is to say, we must know "life-skills" theory in order to practice and implement life-skills. And Buddhism is the best set of "life-skills" I know of.

So to the extent that I understand your question, the answer is "all of the above". But, to me, at least, the question is not phrased clearly enough for me to understand what you're driving at exactly. Could you maybe be more specific?
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    ... But, to me, at least, the question is not phrased clearly enough for me to understand what you're driving at exactly. Could you maybe be more specific?
    So much of “Buddhism” is completely without practical meaning imo.

I’ve followed some abbhidharma course that was really absurd.
    I just learned Pali-babble without any relevance.

And also I learned the Tibetan explanation of the different schools of Buddhism: completely irrelevant the next morning at work, I can assure you.

So how can we train practical Buddhism without too much mind-f*cking (if that is the appropriate English word for what I mean).

What kind of practical training have you had?
    For me; I am still learning the hard way; learning from my mistakes in life.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Sim

pli

fy.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    Sim

pli

fy.
    Lol.

Please explain.
  • Sounds like you should look into Zen.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Cut the crap.
    offload.
    Deal with what is, not what the hell....?
    Awaken each day glad you've opened your eyes.
    fall asleep each day glad you've done your best.

Simple.

Really, what more do you need to do?
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    :bowdown:
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Cut the crap.
    offload.
    Deal with what is, not what the hell....?
    Awaken each day glad you've opened your eyes.
    fall asleep each day glad you've done your best.

Simple.

Really, what more do you need to do?
    Brilliant!
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    Sounds like you should look into Zen.
    Yes, probably.

I think meditation has this aspect of practical training. Meditation is supposed to make us wiser, without the intellectual stuff.
    How that works? I’m not sure. If I had to come up with a theory it would say our illusions are, well… illusions. When we stop sustaining them with our thoughts and actions they collapse.

Another aspect of practical training is direct contact with a teacher or a moderator; someone who is on your back all the time and kicks your ass when you’re off track.

In real life however, I only heard people were disappointed when they lived with a group of people around the teacher for some time.
    I think basically living with someone is what makes the big difference.
    A partner will give some strong feedback every now and then.

It’s like being married to a teacher or to a moderator.