Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What are the key concepts of Buddhism other then the 4 noble truths and the 8 fold path?

??

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    What more do you think you'd need?
  • The three marks of existence perhaps?
  • The three marks of existence
    The six elements
  • thanks, I don't need :) just want to be aware?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    This is a good question, what's the matter with everyone??
    Mindfullness. Emptiness. Those'll keep a beginnenr busy for awhile. Dependent origination.
  • Buddhism
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism
  • edited March 2011
    and thank you these were very helpful. "Three marks and elements"
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Ok, I get what you need, now. :)
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    "To do what is skilful,
    To avoid what is unskilful,
    To purify the mind;
    This is the Teaching of all the Buddhas"
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited March 2011
    12 links of dependent origination: Ignorance, Volition, Consciouness, Name and Form, Sense gates, contact, feeling, desire, attachment, becoming, birth, old age and death

5 precepts: Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not lie, Do not commit sexual misconduct, Do not ingest intoxicants

5 Aggregates giving rise to the illusion of self: Form, Feeling, Consciousness, Perception, Volition
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    What are the six elements? I've never heard of them...
  • The 5 Indiryas are interesting.. Hard to say what is 'beginner and what is not'.. I'll look for an intuitive explanation of them on the web. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indriya
  • What are the six elements? I've never heard of them...
    Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, Heart, Captain Planet

• Regarding the 5 Indriyas,

They are really important to practice and it is all about the right touch in dharma:

"... what do you think: when the strings of your [lute] were neither too taut nor too loose, but tuned to be right on pitch, was your [lute] in tune & playable?"

"Yes, lord."

"In the same way, Sona, over-aroused persistence leads to restlessness, overly slack persistence leads to laziness. Thus you should determine the right pitch for your persistence, attune the pitch of the [five] faculties [to that], and there pick up your theme."[8][9]
  • The five hindrances, though it fits 8FP, I guess.
  • edited March 2011
    Regarding the 5 Indriyas,

They are really important to practice and it is all about the right touch in dharma:

"... what do you think: when the strings of your [lute] were neither too taut nor too loose, but tuned to be right on pitch, was your [lute] in tune & playable?"

"Yes, lord."

"In the same way, Sona, over-aroused persistence leads to restlessness, overly slack persistence leads to laziness. Thus you should determine the right pitch for your persistence, attune the pitch of the [five] faculties [to that], and there pick up your theme."[8][9]
    This was very good for me, thank you Jeffery. And everyone else