Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Form is emptiness..............

TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existenceSamsara Veteran
edited March 2011 in Philosophy
All things appear out of emptiness, stay for a time, and return to emptiness so the thought goes.
But nothing really comes, stays or goes. From where is is suppose to come from, remain and go to?
With an open heart,
Todd

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Too abstract.
    You're over-thinking things again.

Acceptance is a big key here.
    You need to accept things as they are.
  • If nothing comes or goes then there is neither where? or nowhere
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Too abstract.
    You're over-thinking things again.

Acceptance is a big key here.
    You need to accept things as they are.
    My understanding is nothing really comes, stays or goes. Inherent in that is acceptance of things just as they are. There is no coming or going. maybe the question in the post was directed at those who maintain a view of form and emptiness. I probably do overthink things.
    With metta,
    Todd

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2011
    "If nothing comes or goes then there is neither where? or nowhere"

See?
    I told you.
    too abstract.

I think this is too much even for advanced Practitioners to truly realise.
    being Mindful, and in the Moment is too difficult if we have to be aware of this the whole time, all of the time....
    I really don't believe the Buddha meant us to think this hard.
  • "I probably do overthink things."

I resemble that remark!
  • Fed we have to go even deeper... I am not a teacher but my teacher gives temptations to go deeper. But you have to go deep to get to the root. Otherwise its all branches. Endless.

Not based on personal experience just my dharma teacher's talk I listened to this morning.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Its one extreme to think too much and another extreme to close down to investigation. Its sanos lute again. Sradda and Prajna. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indriya
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    If nothing comes or goes then there is neither where? or nowhere
    No arising, just dependent phenomena. Things just as they are. My dog barked, where did it come from, where did it stay, where did go? None of these things, it simply was.
    With metta,
    Todd
  • It is incorrect to state that "all things appear out of emptiness." You are both asserting the existence of "things" and the selfness or "thing-ness" of emptiness. Emptiness is a way of describing the dependently co-arisen nature of selfless phenomena. When you describe something as "empty" you are stating that it is empty of something. Like "the cup is empty of water." All phenomena, whether physical or mental, are all empty of SELF.

The coming and going, rise and fall, back and forth of "things" is an illusion created by the discriminating mind and the very nature of cyclical existence. Nothing comes from anywhere or goes anywhere, everything is simply changing, constantly.
    Federica's got a good point. Just getting the basics down can be a tough prospect
    much less our intellectual musings.
    With metta,
    Todd
    "Nothing comes from anywhere or goes anywhere, everything is simply changing, constantly".
    I agree.
    Todd

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    "everything is simply changing"

to me that can imply a solidity. I think of emptiness as room for a change to happen. Anything can happen. The ceiling can collapse! And when you view even a single tile there are infinite aspects to look at. You cannot focus on one at a time.
  • edited March 2011
    Language is tricky. It has limits.

When you say, "All things appear out of emptiness," I'm afraid I have become completely lost.

Though the rules of language are being followed in such a statement, humans can't experience such things.

Unless you are saying it like you would say something poetic, like "I see Heaven in a wild flower." Then I kind of understand but it's more vague and emotional rather than clear and rational.

I think that actually covers it.....
  • How does "everything is changing" imply solidity?
    How does "everything is changing" imply solidity?
    Maybe it just becomes another "concrete" way to deal with phenomena just like saying everything is permenant

• I guess it doesn't but it did for a moment (to me).
    Language is tricky. It has limits.

When you say, "All things appear out of emptiness," I'm afraid I have become completely lost.
    Roger,
    I don't say all things appear out of emptiness, to me there is just the phenomena of existence, the inconstant world we live in. The idea of things coming into being (out of emptiness)staying and returning is a concept of things. My understanding is that form is emptiness, emptiness is form is just this concept. I would contend there is no emptiness, there is no form, nothing to arise, to become or go away.
    With metta,
    Todd

• Think of it this way. There is the ever present silence (emptiness). Form comes out of that silence (noise). For there to be noise there needs to be the constant silence. All there is at this moment is the form and the emptiness. They exist together.

"Here, Sariputra, form is emptiness and the very emptiness is form; emptiness does not differ from form, form does not differ from emptiness; whatever is form, that is emptiness, whatever is emptiness, that is form, the same is true of feelings, perceptions, impulses and consciousness." - part of heart sutra

The first realization is that form is empty. But then we realize that the emptiness itself is form. They need to exist together and there is no substantial difference between the two. You could say division only occurs when we think of that division. So language automatically asserts dualism. Where as the silence is beyond dualism.

So to answer your question. There is no where to go. All you have is right now. This right now is all we have. This right now is the silence and is everything you can see in front of you.

Anything beyond that is thinking. Thinking about a place to go. Thinking about where you're coming from.

Meh hope this helps.
    My original question was unclear, this is what I meant to assert:
    My understanding is that form is emptiness, emptiness is form is just a concept. I would contend there is no emptiness, there is no form, nothing to arise, to become or go away.
    Sorry for my lack of clarity.
    With metta,
    Todd

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Thats the emptiness of emptiness. Its in the literature. Its kind of problematic because it leads to an infinite regression. However if you use these concepts lightly they will cause less problems.
    Jeffery,
    "it leads to an infinite regression"
    I don't quite understand, could you please elaborate?
    With metta,
    Todd
  • you can only deny something if there was something there with the potential to deny.

it's nihilism. i recall the buddha just sitting there in silence. that was his answer to your question.

you're right there is no emptiness and there is no form. there is nothing arising or becoming or going away.
    but you're also wrong. there is emptiness and there is form. there is things that arises and become and go away.

both are right and both are wrong. so basically we just canceled all that out.

to assert one thing is to assert the negation of the other.
    such is the nature of language (duality).

so we can assert it all and thus cancel it all. An all encompassing view is nothing. It is a no view.

To have no view is the silence. Thus you cannot talk about it. Absolute truth cannot be talked about. You can only point to the moon. That pointing is language. We use language to transcend it.

So yes you're right and you're wrong. But only if we have a position. To have no position is the silence.
  • All that needs or can be said about this topic I think has been exhausted. Back to the cushion.
  • we really only talk about the same shit everyday. over and over and over again. all stories are the same stories over and over and over and over again. it is what it is i suppose.

but everyone is different and everyone has different questions. though we are talking always about the same stuff.
    Good post taiyaki.
    Between my thoughts of good and bad, emptiness and form is the profound stillness of that which is, it is this gate I try to walk through.
    With metta,
    Todd
  • it is the gateless gate. the means and the goal.

much love brother.
  • emptiness of emptiness would itself need an emptiness of THAT...maybe I am just looking at an illusion of two mirrors facing eachother...

FAR OUUUUT MAAAAN image
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Empty is not something that can be empty of anything. It is a discriptive word not a thing. It is an adjective not a noun. Stop placing selfness on that which is without self.
    edited March 2011
    Thanks Taiyaki!
    It is the same shit, day in and day out. As a zen poem from Shinkichi Takahashi states:
    "The wind blows hard among the pines
    Toward the beginning
    Of an endless past.
    Listen: you've heard everything."
    With metta,
    Todd

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    In buddhist literature there is emptiness of emptiness Talisman.. I haven't realized that directly and I can't provide a link because its a memory from 5 years ago and I don't have bookmark (or aol anymore).

Concepts and things are both empty. All skandas are empty not just form.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    "everything is simply changing"

to me that can imply a solidity. I think of emptiness as room for a change to happen. Anything can happen. The ceiling can collapse! And when you view even a single tile there are infinite aspects to look at. You cannot focus on one at a time.
    i think that emptiness is potential. nothing comes, nothing goes... instead it is almost as if it was always there, in potential form. potential depends on other arising variables. this seems to make sense to me when i consider quarks and what quantum physics has taught us.

"The terms "quarks" and "points in space" still suggest something solid, since they can be imagined as irreducible mass particles. Yet, quantum field theory does away even with this finer concept of solidity by explaining particles in the terms of field properties. Quantum electrodynamics (QED) has produced an amazingly successful theory of matter by combining quantum theory, classical field theory, and relativity. No discrepancies between the predictions of QED and experimental observation have ever been found. According to QED, subatomic particles are indistinguishable from fields, whereas fields are basically properties of space. In this view, a particle is a temporary local densification of a field, which is conditioned by the properties of the surrounding space. Ergo, matter is not different from space. This is the third manifestation of emptiness at the subtle level of matter.

An important class of phenomena in the subatomic world is defined by the various interactions between particles. In fact, there is no clear distinction between the notions of phenomena, particles, and interactions, although interactions can be described clearly in mathematical terms. For example, there are interactions between free electrons by means of photons that result in an observed repelling force. There are also interactions between the quarks of a nucleon by means of mesons, interactions between the neighbouring neutrons or protons, interactions between nucleus and electrons, and interactions between the atoms of molecules. The phenomena themselves -the nucleon, the nucleus, the atom, the molecule- are sufficiently described by these interactions, meaning by the respective equations, which implies that interactions and phenomena are interchangeable terms. Interestingly, the interrelations of quantum physics do not describe actual existence. Instead they predict the potential for existence. A manifest particle, such as an electron, cannot be described in terms of classical mechanics. It exists as a multitude of superposed "scenarios", of which one or another manifests only when it is observed, i.e. upon measurement. Therefore, matter does not inherently exist. It exists only as interrelations of "empty" phenomena whose properties are determined by observation. This is the fourth manifestation of emptiness at the subtle level of matter."

• "i think that emptiness is potential. nothing comes, nothing goes... instead it is almost as if it was always there, in potential form. potential depends on other arising variables. this seems to make sense to me when i consider quarks and what quantum physics has taught us."

This resonates with me.. Reminds me of something perhaps related to my teacher's talk.
    edited March 2011
    "Empty is not something that can be empty of anything. It is a discriptive word not a thing. It is an adjective not a noun".

It is a word, just another concept. At the end of the day a tree is just a tree, my emotions are just my emotions. It's raining outside.
    With metta,
    Todd

• In buddhist literature there is emptiness of emptiness Talisman.. I haven't realized that directly and I can't provide a link because its a memory from 5 years ago and I don't have bookmark (or aol anymore).

Concepts and things are both empty. All skandas are empty not just form.
    The "concept" or "word" emptiness or empty is obviously empty in that its use and context are dependent upon other coarisen factors, including the pressence of a sentient and intelligent mind. There is no "emptiness" of the actual meaning behind the word or concept because to say so would mean that the emptiness of things would itself be dependent upon other coarisen factors. The truth that phenomena are empty of self is an observation not a thing or a concept.
  • It reminds me of Austin Powers when Dr. Evil is asking his son what he wants to be when he grows up. His son says "I don't know a doctor?" and dr. evil says "An evil docotr?"

For mahayana buddhists Dr. empty would say "an empty doctor"

hahhahahhahahh
  • "The truth that phenomena are empty of self is an observation not a thing or a concept."

No its a concept. If they are empty of self then there is no self for them to be empty of. So there is no emptiness.

That is the emptiness of emptiness. And its also Nagarjuna's refutation of the Rangtong (emptiness of self) view of emptiness.

Its in the literature :)
  • lol
  • Could you direct me to this literature so that I can at least be on the same page here. I think we're saying the same thing in different ways.
  • I can try to find the Nagarjuna stuff but I don't have links to stuff I read in 2005 because I was on aol then and I don't have bookmarks..

I'll work to google up some big N.
  • BTW I'm reading the Lanka as we speak and I honestly feel like my statements are sound. I havent read much by Nagarjuna though and would love to if you know of anything.
  • http://www.fodian.net/world/70hsl.htm

Theres a good one not exactly what I was saying.. though. I think. Anyhow better to read Nagarjuna than me image
  • What I'm trying to say is that to describe, explain, or contemplate the emptiness of emptiness is like trying to describe, explain, or contemplate the redness of redness. It is meaningless and serves no purpose. In fact I feel that such contemplation would lead to frustration and confusion. You cannot describe or explain a concept in terms of itself.
  • I wish I took the time to understand that back in 2005. But I just said 'emptiness of emptiness,,, check' and didn't take the time to examine it!

But it was in a study course I was involved in lead by a lay practioner on aol (not the nasty rooms but a private room).
    "In fact I feel that such contemplation would lead to frustration and confusion"
    Talisman I think your right. Our thinking is a thicket, a maze we can easily get lost in, concepts layered on concepts. Better to just sit.
    With metta,
    Todd
  • I'm glad we've had this conversation. I'm always learning. :D
  • In The Art of Living (2001) the 14th Dalai Lama says, "As your insight into the ultimate nature of reality is deepened and enhanced, you will develop a perception of reality from which you will perceive phenomena and events as sort of illusory, illusion-like, and this mode of perceiving reality will permeate all your interactions with reality. [...] Even emptiness itself, which is seen as the ultimate nature of reality, is not absolute, nor does it exist independently. We cannot conceive of emptiness as independent of a basis of phenomena, because when we examine the nature of reality, we find that it is empty of inherent existence. Then if we are to take that emptiness itself is an object and look for its essence, again we will find that it is empty of inherent existence. Therefore the Buddha taught the emptiness of emptiness."

-http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/emptiness.html