Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Another thread regarding consciousness

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited March 2011 in Philosophy
I will keep this short. Going back to what I heard a physicist say, that we create our world within our own minds. This is a given and fits into buddhism. But then he said that if there was no consciousness at all, then there would be nothing. This got me thinking, before the human race existed, before creatures and basic walks of life existed on earth, before earth existed, did anything exist?? Where was the consciousness..? I know this won't help me with my path down the dharma line, but it is intriguing and got the noggin ticking over a little .. Anybody care to jump in with their opinions or facts?

Tom :)

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    What was the world before you were born? You can go more than one direction with this...just a thought.
  • Well, was I in a different shell in a different life... What I was trying to point out with this thread was that before the or at the time of the creation of our known universe, was there consciousness somewhere... According to science there must have been. It is known there are man many universe, just the whole concept of no consciousness at all = nothing in existence go me thinking.
  • The concept "thing" is created by the function to discern (consciousness.) So yes, without consciousness there is no "thing." Also, the multi-verse theory is extremely inconclusive and probably impossible to test.
  • There is no consciousness existing inside your closet. Does the inside of the closet cease to exist until you become conscious of it?

Who is the physicist you're talking about?
  • edited March 2011
    To be is to be perceived! IOW, A tree falls in forest ONLY if it's perceived.

Why is that true? Because the argument for the opposite (materialism) really sucks in comparison. image

Here ya go, you'll like this: very "Buddhist!" Objects are merely ***collections*of*qualities*** available to the senses and have no substance!

Link and excerpt:

http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/phl302/distance/berkeley/comment4.html

Berkeley's Positive Doctrines: Immaterialism

Having taken up all this time in examining Berkeley's attacks on the mechanical philosophers, materialists and dualists, we should consider Berkeley's own account of things in the external world. It is plain that Berkeley does not belive that there is any such thing as matter or material substance existing indpendently of us. What then is a thing? The answer is largely contained in Berkeley's definition of sensible things, given earlier. "It seems then that by sensible things you mean those only which can be perceived immediately by sense." He then goes on to note that we immediately perceive by sight light, colours, and figures; by hearing, sounds; by the palate, tastes; by the smell, odours; and by the touch, tangible qualities. So, a thing for Berkeley is simply a collection of sensible qualities which are mind dependent. So to be a sensible thing is to be a collection of sensible qualities perceived by some mind.

More? Go to link. Easy to understand.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    'Does the inside of the closet cease to exist until you become conscious of it?'

Perceived and not perceived are dependently (upon their notions) arisen constructs. Experience just is.

[14] Just as pleasure and pain depending on an object in a dream do not have [a real] object, so neither that which arises dependently nor that which it arises in dependence on exists.

[26] If a definite cessation did abide, it would be independent of being. It does not exist without being, nor does it exist without non-being.

[16] Reply: If own-being were established, dependently arising things would not occur. If [they were] unconditioned, how could own-being be lacking? True being also does not vanish.

~Nagarjuna
  • Something tells me I should stay out of this.
  • edited March 2011
    'Does the inside of the closet cease to exist until you become conscious of it?'

I'm having all sorts of trouble with this. I tried to translate it, clean it up a bit as follows:

Does the dark interior space stop existing after you become conscious of the dark interior space?

My answer would have to be No, when I am conscious of it, it exists.

I would have to touch the interior walls of the closet to know it was a bounded space (inside of a closet). Otherwise, with no sense of touch, for all intents and purposes, it is infinite dark space. No wait: I'm standing and feeling gravity, right?

Should I assume the dark inside of a closet exists when I am not conscious of it? WHY should I?

I have a few such closets in my house but I don't consider them in existence until I see their doors and open them. Of course I'd have to get inside and close the door to perceive the darkened closet.

Is "the inside of a closet" literally what's you are referred to or is "the inside of a closet" it a *****metaphor***** for something else?

If so WHAT IS that something else?

I can grasp what the inside of a closet "is." It's a bounded space which is dark. One has no awareness of the boundaries until one touches them.

If you want me to "Go Poetic" on this I can try that too. I'm just trying to understand what is being communicated.

Seriously.

No big deal. It's just for fun. image

• You can go many places with this thread.

The physicist I cannot recall, but it was a documentary on quantum physics, it had a variety of notorious and highly acclaimed physicists, I have seen them in different documentaries and related programs, one of them in is asian if that helps .... :/

Anyway, the fabric of the universe is consciousness according to them, so without any consciousness there would be nothing. This is all theory of course.

There is a theory that our universe is a small bubble of sorts where gravity and everything streams into it from a far greater universe. There is the theory of multiverses and the big bang was where our universe collided with another one, the membranes causing everything to come into being as it is today. For all of this to happen, there must have been consciousness before hand.

I go back to a time when I was meditating on the roof of a building, there was many noises going on around me including a loud construction site. When I was deeply focused I didn't actually acknowledge that the sound was there, it literally disappeared, but when I lost my focus a little, the noise came back and thus existed, well existed to me at least. Obviously it was there all of the time, but to me it did not exist for a short space of time.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    When you open your closet door is it there?

Let's try learning always have someone looking at an object, more than one so nobody blinks at the same time, and see if we can get it to stop existing.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    something tells me I should stay out of this im in over my head.
  • Well you can be blind but you still have consciousness... You still hear, taste, feel and smell, you are still alive so it exists. If nobody is in the room, does the closet exist... of course it does, set up a camera and try it for yourself lol.

My point of this thread was that if there was no consciousness at all, every walk of life in our universe gone, would anything exist... According to these scientists no, no it would not
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    So am I.
    Yet another thread that needs moving!

Forget looking at consciousness and being Mindful - what hope have you of that, if you can't even be bothered to ensure that you're posting in the CORRECT FORUM - ?!? :rant: :aol:
  • Hmmm, is consciousness not a part of buddhism... is it not in fact a fundamental part of buddhism? I am sorry if it takes you so much effort to move or erase a thread fede, but I think this topic is not too far off of a topic that could include a buddhist theme. Or do you just love the power of being a moderator and have nothing better to do than to move or erase this thread?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    It takes me more unnecessary effort than it would for you to put it in the right forum in the first place.

It's not a question of whether it has a Buddhist theme.
    it's a question of considering what the thread is about, and where its appropriate place would be....
    The "Buddhism for Beginners" seems to be the general dumping ground for people who can't be bothered to think about what they're posting, which unfortunately amounts often to drivel, given that topics meander so quickly into other areas.
    I would say a good 50% of threads put into that forum should be elsewhere.
    And I would say a high proportion of them shouldn't exist at all.

But I don't delete threads on a whim, I don't close them for no reason, and I move them because they need moving.
    Chiefly because people fail to think.
  • Okay, understood fede :) sorry.

I actually did not even realise where I was posting this thread to be honest, but I do believe it has potential for discussion in a buddhist sense... Sorry for the feed back prior to this post,

Tom